[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Lev Bell - Something is brewing in Burgh

Gourdeau

I just read this at the bottom of the latest ESPN Bell story and am freaking out:

"Bell does not have to report to the Steelers by a certain date to get an accrued season to become eligible for free agency, contrary to what ESPN and others previously reported. Bell already has played the four-plus seasons he needs to become a free agent after the season."

Why was everyone reporting all season that he needed to play in 6 games?

I'm so pissed. I based my trade on the fact that he had to play at least 6 games.

Edited by squirrelmastr21

24 minutes ago, squirrelmastr21 said:

I just read this at the bottom of the latest ESPN Bell story and am freaking out:

"Bell does not have to report to the Steelers by a certain date to get an accrued season to become eligible for free agency, contrary to what ESPN and others previously reported. Bell already has played the four-plus seasons he needs to become a free agent after the season."

Why was everyone reporting all season that he needed to play in 6 games?

I'm so pissed. I based my trade on the fact that he had to play at least 6 games.

He needs to accrue 6 games in order for the franchise tag he is under to count for this year.  If he does not, they can franchise tag him again with the same setup as this years tag (120% of previous years salary I believe).  If he was to accrue the 6 games then they could franchise him next year but its much more costly (average of the top 5 salaries in NFL). 

7 minutes ago, Def. said:

He needs to accrue 6 games in order for the franchise tag he is under to count for this year.  If he does not, they can franchise tag him again with the same setup as this years tag (120% of previous years salary I believe).  If he was to accrue the 6 games then they could franchise him next year but its much more costly (average of the top 5 salaries in NFL). 

This, his "Free agency" being discussed is assumed to only come after this deal is fulfilled. If the Steelers let him walk they get nothing, so they'll franchise tag him again if he never reports and can play the game again. 

1 hour ago, squirrelmastr21 said:

If a team wants to franchise a player in three straight years, it would have to pay him 144 percent of his previous salary.

Bell's 2018 salary is $14.544 million so 2019 would be $20.94 million.

Not if he never signs it.

1 hour ago, squirrelmastr21 said:

If a team wants to franchise a player in three straight years, it would have to pay him 144 percent of his previous salary.

Bell's 2018 salary is $14.544 million so 2019 would be $20.94 million.

If he doesn’t play this season he can be tagged next season for the same $14.544M. If he signs the tender by the 13th, tagging him would be about $21M. 

I wouldn’t have based your trade off of him playing 6 weeks though. The Steelers will most likely use a 2 week roster exemption on him, so that’s 2 more games he’s missing. 

In my opinion the earliest you will see Bell is week 13 vs the Chargers, especially because of the short week this week. 

Even when hen he returns, I think you are going to see a committee with Conner. Or Bell not playing at all because this team is rolling and you do not want to mess with team chemistry in Week 13 

1 hour ago, jamesplante11 said:

If he doesn’t play this season he can be tagged next season for the same $14.544M. If he signs the tender by the 13th, tagging him would be about $21M. 

I wouldn’t have based your trade off of him playing 6 weeks though. The Steelers will most likely use a 2 week roster exemption on him, so that’s 2 more games he’s missing. 

In my opinion the earliest you will see Bell is week 13 vs the Chargers, especially because of the short week this week. 

Even when hen he returns, I think you are going to see a committee with Conner. Or Bell not playing at all because this team is rolling and you do not want to mess with team chemistry in Week 13 

Says a connor owner, hoping the bell owner is held at bay, lol. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

11 minutes ago, jamesplante11 said:

🤞🏼 Exactly

Everything after “My opinion” was completely biased. 

LMAO!  I feel ya brother.  Good luck with it. 

17 hours ago, jamesplante11 said:

I really don't know what to think. Bell has so much upside if he ever reports. Even getting 50% of the snaps I might start him. 

The Steelers would also have no incentive to try to preserve him. They can give him a ridiculous workload if they want. They don't care if his legs are fresh for next year.

17 hours ago, jamesplante11 said:

🤞🏼 Exactly

Everything after “My opinion” was completely biased. 

In the same boat as Conner has been my saviour in my main league (Fournette was my first round bust so far not Bell).

I'm assuming its Conners show on TNF then after that its more precarious.

Not gonna happen. He's gonna sit 2 more games upon returning if he returns...I'd bet just about anything on it. Then he's gonna take 2 or 3 games to get in shape. There's no way they are taking 25% of the load away from Conners let alone 50% ... and again that is if he reports.

My belief at this point is that bell is probably benefiting from Conners success in the sense that he's likely OK to sit the whole season knowing it's highly unlikely that the steelers would tag him again. Theyve seen what Conner can do for them so why bother with bell... in other words Bell is probably to be released next off season.  Just my belief

1 hour ago, Gourdeau said:

Not gonna happen. He's gonna sit 2 more games upon returning if he returns...I'd bet just about anything on it. Then he's gonna take 2 or 3 games to get in shape. There's no way they are taking 25% of the load away from Conners let alone 50% ... and again that is if he reports.

My belief at this point is that bell is probably benefiting from Conners success in the sense that he's likely OK to sit the whole season knowing it's highly unlikely that the steelers would tag him again. Theyve seen what Conner can do for them so why bother with bell... in other words Bell is probably to be released next off season.  Just my belief

Yeah I'd be shocked if Bell plays this season.  

Man what a mess.

If he comes back now next year tag is worth less than if he was to stay out all year. He comes back now he'd be looking at about 10mil a year on a tag. If he sits. He is looking at 14.5 again. But he knows at worst they might tranny tag him and let offers come in. 

2 hours ago, Gourdeau said:

Do the Steelers get any compensation if he doesn't sign this year and they release him after the season? I'm thinking no based on what I've read. Why not tag and trade him, or tag him and keep him from other teams if he wants to hold out again and never play that's his choice. 

Its like they have one year of his career left they should have gotten, but just decide to walk away?

That was kind of the argument being made by the Browns for not releasing Gordon, and in the end they traded him.

No compensation unless he accrues season and hits FA.. tag and trade only works if he signs the tag and it's a hard trade to make because the receiving team is bound by that tag also and can't negotiate a deal... but what I'm wondering is let's say they Trans tag him.. a team like the Jets offer him a 5 year deal.. steelers don't match, do they get compensation then.. that I don't know..

1 minute ago, LordOpie said:

umm, what?

so you don't have to play the six games to accrue the season to prevent being tagged again at the current year's level?

Yup, that was what i was reading ast night, (across 6-8 outlets) even nfl.com was saying it, as well that if it happens the Steelers and nfl are not planning to object to him being a 3rd time franchise player