[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Lev Bell - Something is brewing in Burgh

Gourdeau

Not sure about the exact % for the tag but it has to do with the top highest at that position I thought.. either way his cap hit would be over 20 mil, that i know for sure as its been overstated on steelers related podcasts/ Twitter that i follow... 

On another note , David Johnson just got an extension.. a measly 13 mil aav with 30 mil guaranteed..  Bell Wanted 55 and 18 mil a year.. this extension hurts his chances of getting that i think 

• Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, Gourdeau said:

On another note , David Johnson just got an extension.. a measly 13 mil aav with 30 mil guaranteed..  Bell Wanted 55 and 18 mil a year.. this extension hurts his chances of getting that i think 

The David Johnson deal is now the current benchmark for the league's top RBs and absolutely ruins things for Bell.  He will NEVER get the deal he seeks.  If he lets $8.5 million go down the drain while waiting for a deal he won't ever get next year, he is an idiot.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

39 minutes ago, Gourdeau said:

Not sure about the exact % for the tag but it has to do with the top highest at that position I thought.. either way his cap hit would be over 20 mil, that i know for sure as its been overstated on steelers related podcasts/ Twitter that i follow... 

The exclusive franchise tag

Average of the top 5 salaries at the position or 120% of the previous years salary. Whichever is higher. If a player gets tagged 3 years in a row it becomes 144%  (thanks @michaelredd9)

Next year Bell would be about $21 million, which would make Big Ben, Bell, and Brown’s cap hit a little over $60 million

55 minutes ago, Dcat said:

The David Johnson deal is now the current benchmark for the league's top RBs and absolutely ruins things for Bell.  He will NEVER get the deal he seeks.  If he lets $8.5 million go down the drain while waiting for a deal he won't ever get next year, he is an idiot.

I still view the Gurley deal as the benchmark. D.J. is coming off an injured year. Gurley just produced a great year and is in his prime. 

Gurley: 4 year- $60 million contract extension that includes $45 million guaranteed

Edited by Shaft

On 9/6/2018 at 4:51 PM, Big John said:

:pc: Born in 1964.... Jim Brown.

Just for the record wasn't a Browns fan during his career, I became a fan shortly after moving to Cleveland in 1982. 

Byner, Mack, and plenty other good RB since then.

I just get tired of that childish nonsense from fans, being a fan of a bad team doesn't mean you don't know anything about the sport, just like beng a fan of a champion doesn't make you knowledgeable. Its an asinine assertion used by losers who have no real facts or views to present.

Now back to the Bell discussion... I thought use of the franchise tag was limited to like 2 times, guess it just doesn't happen often because of the escalating percentages.

2 hours ago, Shaft said:

I still view the Gurley deal as the benchmark. D.J. is coming off an injured year. Gurley just produced a great year and is in his prime. 

Gurley: 4 year- $60 million contract extension that includes $45 million guaranteed

Big difference in age between Gurley and Bell. Gurley also doesn't have 2 seasons with suspension to start and holding out now a second time, all things not in Bell's favor.

44 minutes ago, stevegrab said:

Big difference in age between Gurley and Bell. Gurley also doesn't have 2 seasons with suspension to start and holding out now a second time, all things not in Bell's favor.

All of those things are true and I'm not denying that, I was just speaking on the "benchmark" comment in reference to David Johnson.

Connor played well (minus turnover).

Bell goal is to get a big and well deserved payday.

If Connor keeps up this level of production, PIT offense will be Okay.  

I personally see Bell holding out until after week 10.

Conner looked good, but TBH I think Cleveland focused more on AB and JuJu, and just dared them to run it all game with the unproven back.  Honestly, I think it worked out well for Cleveland.  Conner is still not even close to being as good as Bell.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, XFlash said:

I believe the requirement is sit out 10 weeks and then you become unrestricted free agent next season, PIT cannot tag him.  They can if he reports anytime before week 10.

Bell will lose $855,000 for every week he sits out, and he could be down as much as $8.55 million should he skip the first 10 games. After that he'll need to report to still be eligible for free agency next March.

12 hours ago, XFlash said:

I believe the requirement is sit out 10 weeks and then you become unrestricted free agent next season, PIT cannot tag him.  They can if he reports anytime before week 10.

He has to be signed by 4pm on Nov 13th or he cannot play in 2018

If they tagged him again in 2019, he'd be getting paid QB money...........that won't happen.

3 minutes ago, LordOpie said:

are you sure about that?

I think he can play week 17 only if he wanted to. but I think a player needs to be active for six games to accrue a season and is required to fulfill the tag requirement. If he plays less than six, I think PIT gets to keep him on the same tag contract, so no increase in pay.

if he plays six, then PIT would have to tag him again (at crazy money) or let him be a FA

I am sure that if he does sign by Nov 13th, he cannot play in 2018.

I should have clarified my 2nd point, only if he is signed by Nov 13th can you be a UFA in 2019 or Pitt could tag him again at a huge amount of money.  Otherwise you are correct, Pitt can keep him on the same deal he has for the 2018 season.

Its going to be awkward when he does join up in week 10.  How will Pittsburgh use him with Connor in the mix?  Will there be some kind of demand on how much plays?  Will his teammates be receptive on arrival?  etc...

This is one of the weirdest scenarios I have ever seen in the NFL.

2 hours ago, LordOpie said:

so we all agree that he plays at least six games this year?

which means conner has a limited shelf life? trade him now!

10 games (for Connor, 6 for Bell who will be rusty) in a 13 game fantasy regular season is hardly a limited shelf life and somebody to trade now after 1 week. Are you just saying stuff without thinking? 

If Bell has to be signed for 6 games that is week 12, game 11 (played on 11/25 in Denver). That conflicts with the Nov 13th date referenced here, and talk before of signing by week 10 (game 9 on 11/8 vs CAR).

3 minutes ago, stevegrab said:

If Bell has to be signed for 6 games that is week 12, game 11 (played on 11/25 in Denver). That conflicts with the Nov 13th date referenced here, and talk before of signing by week 10 (game 9 on 11/8 vs CAR).

From NFL.com:

NOVEMBER

Nov. 13  At 4:00 p.m., New York time, signing period ends for Franchise Players who are eligible to receive offer sheets. 

Prior to 4:00 p.m., New York time, deadline for clubs to sign their unsigned Franchise and Transition Players, including Franchise Players who were eligible to receive offer sheets until this date. If still unsigned after this date, such players are prohibited from playing in the NFL in 2018. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Montana is da Man said:

From NFL.com:

NOVEMBER

Nov. 13  At 4:00 p.m., New York time, signing period ends for Franchise Players who are eligible to receive offer sheets. 

Prior to 4:00 p.m., New York time, deadline for clubs to sign their unsigned Franchise and Transition Players, including Franchise Players who were eligible to receive offer sheets until this date. If still unsigned after this date, such players are prohibited from playing in the NFL in 2018. 

Thanks was just looking at the schedule and a calendar, Nov 13 is Wed and falls between TNF on 11/4 at BAL and SNF 11-18 vs. CAR.  The game after that is @JAX, then @DEN not easy defenses. 

1 hour ago, LordOpie said:

this guy is an idiot. what does he think he's accomplishing? does he really think he's teaching the team a "lesson"?

what if he reports week 10 and tears an ACL? He'll have lost $8.5mil and won't get a top contract next season.

Apparently he'll take that chance, rather than report ASAP, possibly get hurt while helping the team he doesn't like, and taking more abuse on his body.

I do wonder how potential suitors will view this behavior, if he'll do this to PIT, how will he treat them?