[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Lev Bell - Something is brewing in Burgh

Gourdeau

6 minutes ago, stevegrab said:

All the latest stories on Bell that I see are talking about how the Steelers could pull the offer and get a compensatory draft pick in 2019 if Bell signs with another team. So what they might want in a trade would be affected by that, meaning the offer needs to be better. 

PFT article

On the other hand, what team in it's right mind would trade a first rounder or even a second rounder for a 12-week rental of a good RB who will no doubt be very rusty for a couple of weeks?  A team would have to be insane to do that, unless of course there is some secret, wink-wink, long-term deal in place.

If a secret, handshake, long-term deal is in place, then sure...  just like there was for Alex Smith to Washington and Cousins to Minnesota.  Smith to Washington had been in place weeks before it could be "legally" announced and Cousins to Minnesota was a done deal in February, BTW.  All that "where is he going?... to the Jets maybe" was a farce.  Gil Brandt, The Godfather himself, said so on Serius NFL Network last February when he said ON THE AIR, that the Vikings are going to have an unprecedented blockbuster FA deal that he wasn't at liberty to disclose (this was many weeks before the alleged "actual" Cousins signing).  Sure enough, an unprecedented fully guaranteed deal was announced about a month later. The Cousins visit(s) and offer discussions to and with other teams was just for show.   So teams do indeed bend these rules....  without exception. 

I think at this point the only way they trade him is in return for a pick and or defensive asset, but again, a team would be crazy, even if there was a wink wink deal in place, how can that team trust Bell isn't gonna go back on that deal. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, LordOpie said:

yes, but I think one of the complaints by fans and everyone involved with the team, including and especially the OL is... why not just say that? What's with the games? Just say he'll report week 10 or whenever requried?

And he should have said that before the season, so they knew they'd be without him for that period. Instead of saying I'll report, then not reporting for days, now weeks, now all the verbal jousting. 

I do wonder how other teams signing him would feel about the holdout, and how can they be sure he doesn't do something like that to them someday. 

3 hours ago, LordOpie said:

Handshake deal.

Even then, I agree, I don't think he risks his body until he signs the new deal.

As I suggested a month ago, he's only worth a 2nd pick

Who in their right minds would trust Bell on a handshake deal right now?

Say he gets traded to TB, and they come up with this handshake deal. I wouldn’t put it past Bell to go to SF and say “Hey, they are offering me this much, beat it and I’m all yours”

31 minutes ago, LordOpie said:

should be thinking... he got paid the rest of the year. Is Bell secure enough to be losing $850k each week?

He really isnt losing any money each week, he is passing by the opportunity to earn 850,000 each week.  Obviously he and his agent feel that any new deal will make up for that passed opportunity.   If he gets a 4-5 year deal, with 45 mill guaranteed then they where right. ( Right now, he would have had a 13.6 mill guarentee)

And I think it's more of a double edged sword right now for the Steelers,  teams likely want a conditional deal about him signing long term, and they cant do that right now.  The Steelers are not in the driver's seat at the moment, and bell has all the power, where they want to move on from this 

Yes and no, say you make 52k a year and overtime pays 1.5 times your regular pay, did you lose 31,200 by not working overtime every weekend last year? No you didnt lose money... you made your 52k you passed on the opportunity(to work every day of the year to make 83.2k)

Edited by millworkguy
  • Confused 1

1 minute ago, LordOpie said:

so... any guess why PIT wouldn't accept WHATEVER the best offer they get for Bell? Do they really want him for six games? A disgruntled player who might be a negative who definitely ain't playing for them next year?

Why not accept a 4th? Or a sandwich?

They would receive a 3rd comp pick for losing him in FA, so they want something better than that.

I really think the only ones who will lose (by the time this is resolved,  and bell gets his deal) its Pittsburgh .

I think they dont take a 7th because they are Pittsburgh,  dont want to appear to have accepted less then what he is worth (save face with fans)  and will not be forced into a bad deal to make bell happy

6 minutes ago, LordOpie said:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Opportunity_cost

but the discussion of economics is irrelevant.

PIT screwed this up. Bell screwed this up. I hope they all lose, somehow.

Pitt screwed it up.   They low balled the best RB in the league.  Now, they have no RB moving forward.  Connor is nice story but he isn't close to the level of Bell

• Thanks 1

So, The difference then becomes who gives the pick.  As a signing team doesnt lose a pick for signing him, the league awards a comp pick, but to trade for him, you give up a pick, hope he actually shows up to play for you, and if he walks you hope for the 3rd round comp pick (not sure all the criteria- $, furure injury? ) 

11 hours ago, Big John said:

They would receive a 3rd comp pick for losing him in FA, so they want something better than that.

maybe.  They'd have to make sure they have a net loss in "Qualified UFA's" to be eligible for any comp pick no matter how much some team gives to Bell. 

11 hours ago, LordOpie said:

so... any guess why PIT wouldn't accept WHATEVER the best offer they get for Bell? Do they really want him for six games? A disgruntled player who might be a negative who definitely ain't playing for them next year?

Why not accept a 4th? Or a sandwich?

What kind of sandwich?  Better be something really good.

PS  Great opportunity cost link, that is lost money you could have had.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Dcat said:

maybe.  They'd have to make sure they have a net loss in "Qualified UFA's" to be eligible for any comp pick no matter how much some team gives to Bell. 

That's what I was getting in reading about this whole think with compensatory picks and free agents, hard to say they'd get one for sure without knowing who PIT signs. Unless they can manipulate the system to make sure they are getting a pick.

They're not going to trade him for some low ball offer.