[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Hybrid Auction Strategy

JETSFAN13

I recently joined a 12 team league that has been running for a long time. It is a 12 team PPR league that uses a hybrid auction format.

The top 60 players are auctioned off in order of rank (no nominations) to all 12 players with a 200$ budget. After that it turns to a normal snake draft. 

Teams can end up with any amount of players, no min-no max. The more picks you have, you just lose picks in the last rounds of the draft.

First time ever doing a hybrid auction of this sort and am looking to hear some good draft strategies.

Should I shoot for few players or blow my budget on two studs and look to the snake to fill in the roster.

I have established auction values for full auctions but don't know how to adjust accordingly. I feel as though you should go for quantity over studs since you are essentially getting additional players as last round picks.

Thanks all

Not sure you really want to go quantity over quality..... You are basically bidding on first 5 rounds of players (60/12=5).  BUT since it is the top 60 players by rank (assuming ADP?)  you should get a heavy mix of RB's and WR's with a smattering of TE's and QB's.    Average amount is $40 per player (12 teams x $200 /60 players) which really makes your budget different than a full auction draft.  The fact that you can spend $200 on one player if you want is interesting but unnerving too.   Going quantity,  You may end up with 6  to 7 players ranked 40 or lower....  Which if you are ok with go for it

The long time owners probably know how the auction will go and what top players will sell for based on history of the league. That is a big advantage IMO.   My strategy would be target the 3 to 5 guys I really want.  You know the order the order they will come out in so watch what similar players (Same tier) go for and adjust your bidding accordingly.  Be prepared to go quantity if quality players are going for high $$ but don't miss out on top players saving money for tier 3 or 4 RB's

I would look to come out with at least 2RB's and 2WR's.  Look at who might be available to you in the snake part of the draft in rounds 6 through 10 and see what you can get for starters.