[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

touching QB = roughing

BeeR

1 hour ago, colkurtz said:

They explained the new rule. Can't land on top of QB now. Was a clean hit but he landed on top of Ben.  Whether you hate the rule or not, it was called correctly n

Yeah, how dare a defender not violate the laws of physics? 

I hear you it's just asinine

23 hours ago, BeeR said:

Yeah, how dare a defender not violate the laws of physics? 

I hear you it's just asinine

The rule was intended to deal with defenders driving the QB into the ground with their full 350+ pounds on them. Garrett really didn't drive Ben into the ground but did land on him. Later a PIT defender hit Taylor and the announcers talked about how he did it right, let go of him going to the ground and rolled to the side. I missed that but would probably have still gone :rolleyes: 

I think this new rule will be revised or handled differently, going to be a ton of roughing the QB calls otherwise. 

Protect the guy yes, but don't eliminate the ability for a big defensive play. 

I support all of the rules that protect players.  Defensive players do everything in their power to hurt offensive players within the rules.  So the rules need to limit them.  There is no reason a fat ass defensive lineman needs to belly flop on a quarterback.  The game is inherently violent.  There is no need to add to that violence with unnecessary cheap shots.  With all the rules that have been enacted to protect players, it hasn't affected the quality of the game at all.

They are just turning the game into flag football. It is not the same game that we loved when we were younger. A wide receiver has no fear of going across the middle anymore, there is no such thing as a qb holding onto the ball to long(a flag will bail them out) and corners can’t touch anybody. Well, it may already be flag football, my bad!

• Like 1

The QB touching, the personal fouls of hitting a receiver's helmet when they duck (and player was aiming for their chest / mid-section) & the fact no one knows what is a catch has hurt a once great game...

I believe if you want to protect QBs more - take away the stupid grounding rule when a QB throws the ball away while in the pocket...  Make the rule is it must go past the line of scrimmage to not be grounding..    I'd rather see a QB chuck ball away to live another day then trying to get out of tackle box and risk being blind-sided

Yep, some of those calls were unbelievable. If they are going to call it that way they should just make a two hand touch rule on the QB. I have no idea how defensive players are going to be able to tackle a QB anymore. Going to cost teams games big time.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, michaelredd9 said:

I support all of the rules that protect players.  Defensive players do everything in their power to hurt offensive players within the rules.  So the rules need to limit them.  There is no reason a fat ass defensive lineman needs to belly flop on a quarterback.  The game is inherently violent.  There is no need to add to that violence with unnecessary cheap shots.  With all the rules that have been enacted to protect players, it hasn't affected the quality of the game at all.

Except nobody was throwing their weight onto somebody or belly flopping on them. 

Link contains video for those making judgement without seeing it

https://deadspin.com/myles-garrett-falls-victim-to-nfls-terrible-new-roughin-1828921591

If this continues you simply won't be allowed to tackle the QB other than a hit that has you 1-2 yards away as he hits the ground. I've heard they need to slide off to the side, push away from the QB and fall separately. like they're some sort of ballerina or something to make those kind of moves.

• Like 1

Why is the NFL suppose to pretend to care about player safety when the players themselves don't?  Remind of the last time Rodger Goddell, Jerrah Jones, Paul Allen or Robert Kraft made a helmet to helmet hit or landed on a QB with all their weight.  These players know what the rules are and they STILL continue to break them.  Stop blaming the league and owners for players getting hurt while playing a violent game.  Players get hurt because OTHER PLAYERS hurt them.  These attempts are just pathetic attempts by the league to pretend to care.

This does not mean I condone or support the NFL covering up concussion injuries in the past.  They did and that is not even close to right but that isn't happening now.  Now they are over-compensating and the game is suffering because of it.

Edited by captain77

5 hours ago, michaelredd9 said:

...With all the rules that have been enacted to protect players, it hasn't affected the quality of the game at all.

I disagree and so do a lot of other people.  Not only does it affect the quality of the game it also affects the outcome of the game.  Example: the pathetic roughing the passer penalty on CLE extended the drive and allowed Conner to score his first TD.  

11 hours ago, Big John said:

Imagine that, and some bozo claiming that the player belly flopped on the QB would actually be wrong.

And saying the quality of the game hasn't been affected, dude must be living under a very large rock. 

As the ref says, just having some body weight on the QB is not a foul, the rule was meant to be used when you throw him to the ground with your full weight on him, driving him into the ground. I forget what game but I heard one defender tackled the QB, arms on either side as he lands to prevent his weight from getting on the QB. Was still flagged. These guys are trying to do acrobatics as they hit the QB and fall to the ground to prevent a penalty. They're going to end up hurting themselves. 

6 hours ago, stevegrab said:

Imagine that, and some bozo claiming that the player belly flopped on the QB would actually be wrong.

And saying the quality of the game hasn't been affected, dude must be living under a very large rock. 

My post was about the rule in general, not this specific play.  Do you really think that calling someone a "bozo" is acceptable in this forum?  Please stop responding to my posts.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, michaelredd9 said:

My post was about the rule in general, not this specific play.  Do you really think that calling someone a "bozo" is acceptable in this forum?  Please stop responding to my posts.

Sorry didn't realize your post was not at all related to the ongoing discussion of the roughing call on Garrett. Since you hadn't given any opinion on that I guess I assumed your other comments were covering that too.

But I called you a bozo mostly because you said none of the rule changes have impacted the quality of the game. 

I am a MN homer and that call was bad... to be fair the same call was made on MN hit on Rodgers earlier in the game but both were equally pathetic. Only theirs cost them the game... or half a game or whatever you lose or win in a tie??????

Just watched the play, yep bad call, he didn't pick him up and slam him, didn't appear to land with all his weight, wasn't late (after the ball came out like the hit on Dalton on TNF). This will be a problem all year, like the catch rule the past few, and probably be tweaked before next year to hopefully be better. It will not be the end, the NFL seems to be on a quest to keep changing rules every year to try and make the game better, draw more viewers, belay concerns on player safety etc. Maybe they just think that constant change will keep us all confused, but highly interested.

I don't care for the change to 10 min OT, last year no biggie, this year the first two OTs end in ties, because teams had crappy kickers that cannot make a big kick under pressure.