[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Week 1 conclusions

BeeR

7 hours ago, CowboysDiehard said:

ÌPrescott can't hit a barn from 20 yards.  Linehan, Marinelli, and Garrett are straight up incompetent.  Jones is a senile old coot.  The entire organization is an embarrassment. Just awful.  I hope these fools get blown out every week. Time to clean house. 

I agree somewhat but I don't think Dak can throw a wet ball very good. I noticed in the 4th quarter when the rain stopped his passes came out better. The defense played really good and that's with Sean Lee having one of his worst games. I am incouraged by what I saw from from the D especially our front 7. The offense played like they haven't played football together ever. That will get fixed I hope. Dak was so indecisive which is not like him. His timing was way off, his feet weren't set at all like he normally does. I wonder if his WR where running the right and or crisp routes. I know this, Short and co. wrecked the running game and dominated the center of our line which is concerning. 1st game though. If they look like this against the Giants I am with you, it's going to be a long long season. 

#1 - Buffalo is the new Cleveland

#2 - Pittsburgh is stupid to give Bell even half of what they were going to before - Conner is 90% good for 1/10th the price

#3 - I hate defenses and kickers in FF..  Don't ever bet on Saints Def even if you screwed up & drafted the team playing Brady week 1

#4 - How do we get San Fran / Minnesota as the only early game?  I don't live in SF or Minnesota & only fans of those two cities care about that game

#5 - I wish I could have made a Vegas bet on long TD to Cobb as winning score..  When you are in a close fantasy game - the worst possible scenario will happen - was the Bears playing Pac 10 style defense on that play?

Finally - why are most NFL announcers so bad at that jobs?  I am more accurate on what is going on while drunk at a bar looking at TV on the wall

18 hours ago, Def. said:

When you have 6(!) turnovers and a differential of 5(!), you should not lose.  Completely agree with these.  For anyone that thinks Tyrod is a good QB, I have a bridge to sell you. 

Good is relative. Is he better than Peterman or whatever else the Bills have? Is he better than Kizer who almost lost the game for the Packers when he replaced Rodgers?

His passing was off, but it was also raining all game and somewhat windy, and like many stadiums the winds swirl and are not easy to read. Ben had some trouble throwing the ball too, 3 picks and 2 strip sacks, is he suddenly no good? 

16 hours ago, loaf said:

Only the Browns could end a losing streak by not winning

Could have just as easily been a loss, and many fans expected that down 21-7 and PIT had the ball. I'd have preferred the win, but we did nothing in OT to help that other than the final strip sack recovery. Something like 8 yards of offense in 5 OT possessions?

I guarantee that PIT fans are not happy with the tie and the beating that Ben took.

3 minutes ago, seahawk3133 said:

#2 - Pittsburgh is stupid to give Bell even half of what they were going to before - Conner is 90% good for 1/10th the price

#3 - I hate defenses and kickers in FF..  Don't ever bet on Saints Def even if you screwed up & drafted the team playing Brady week 1

#4 - How do we get San Fran / Minnesota as the only early game?  I don't live in SF or Minnesota & only fans of those two cities care about that game

#5 - I wish I could have made a Vegas bet on long TD to Cobb as winning score..  When you are in a close fantasy game - the worst possible scenario will happen - was the Bears playing Pac 10 style defense on that play?

Finally - why are most NFL announcers so bad at that jobs?  I am more accurate on what is going on while drunk at a bar looking at TV on the wall

Not to diminish the gritty performance and all by Aaron, but that play really was just piss poor defense and mistakes by the Bears.  I'd credit that and Cobb for that play and not so much Aaron. 

12 minutes ago, seahawk3133 said:

There is a web site that has good info on what games (Fox/CBS Sundays) are shown in all US markets, along with a forum full of discussion on the why and so forth. http://www.506.com

Not sure what market you're in, I do know that Los Angeles only had SF-MIN early on Fox, with a late CBS game (LAC-KC) and Cowboys Game of the Week late on Fox.

19 hours ago, Def. said:

When you have 6(!) turnovers and a differential of 5(!), you should not lose.  Completely agree with these.  For anyone that thinks Tyrod is a good QB, I have a bridge to sell you. 

Taylor did exactly what he has done in the past, he didn't lose the game for Cleveland...He sure didn't take over and win it, but he didn't give the game away like so many QBs Cleveland has had in years past. Was his game great, no, but he still did get a chance to throw it 40 times, lets see how he looks v NO with no monsoon. 

T.Taylor - 15 for 40, 197yds, 1 TD, 1 INT, 7 sacks, 42.6 QBR

B.Roethlisberger - 23 for 41, 335yds, 1 TD, 3 INT, 4 sacks, 22.8 QBR

J.Landry - 15 targets, 7 catches for 106

A.Brown - 16 targets, 9 catches for 93, 1 TD

Some quick passing stats, even AB struggled to haul in his targets. 

8 minutes ago, stevegrab said:

Could have just as easily been a loss, and many fans expected that down 21-7 and PIT had the ball. I'd have preferred the win, but we did nothing in OT to help that other than the final strip sack recovery. Something like 8 yards of offense in 5 OT possessions?

I guarantee that PIT fans are not happy with the tie and the beating that Ben took.

I preface this with the fact that a tie does indeed suck. However, most power rankings or predictions had Cleveland as no better than the 27th team in the league, while most had them in the 30s. Pittsburgh on the other hand is a top 10 team that is supposed to be running away with the division and a Superbowl contender. 

Is everyone forgetting that?!? Cleveland was supposed to have no chance to win the game. I think even at kickoff Pittsburgh started with an 80% chance to win? Now the comments are "haha, the Browns can't even end a losing streak the right way" , or "the Browns can't even win a game that they should have won" 

When? When did it become "Should have won it?" In overtime, thats when...before that Cleveland had "no chance in hell" to win that game.

I am growing tired of Jackson dragging people thru the mud though. Williams, Haley, Ward, and its only the end of week 1

28 minutes ago, stevegrab said:

Good is relative. Is he better than Peterman or whatever else the Bills have? Is he better than Kizer who almost lost the game for the Packers when he replaced Rodgers?

His passing was off, but it was also raining all game and somewhat windy, and like many stadiums the winds swirl and are not easy to read. Ben had some trouble throwing the ball too, 3 picks and 2 strip sacks, is he suddenly no good? 

Ben doesn't have a history of less then mediocrity, Tyrod does.  The other two barely have a history, so ya sure he's better then a couple backups that have played much less then him. 

I get you want to defend your team, but Ben was still able to complete over 50% of his passes for a 8.2 yard avg in the same poor weather on a road game (and history has not been kind for Ben's home/away splits in recent years cause he has faults too) where as Tyrod did 38% and 4.9 yard avg at home.  Blame weather if you want, but IMO that only makes it more apparent those that are not good.  Isn't bad weather a staple of playing in the AFC North? 

1 minute ago, Def. said:

Ben doesn't have a history of less then mediocrity, Tyrod does.  The other two barely have a history, so ya sure he's better then a couple backups that have played much less then him. 

I get you want to defend your team, but Ben was still able to complete over 50% of his passes for a 8.2 yard avg in the same poor weather on a road game (and history has not been kind for Ben's home/away splits in recent years cause he has faults too) where as Tyrod did 38% and 4.9 yard avg at home.  Blame weather if you want, but IMO that only makes it more apparent those that are not good.  Isn't bad weather a staple of playing in the AFC North? 

Glad you mention it was a road game for Ben, do you realize he's played far more games in that stadium than Talyor has?  That would mean he has more info on how to deal with wind/rain there

Not trying to say Taylor is as good or even close to Ben. But taking that game and saying it is proof that Taylor is not a good QB isn't sound analysis. 

6 minutes ago, stevegrab said:

Glad you mention it was a road game for Ben, do you realize he's played far more games in that stadium than Talyor has?  That would mean he has more info on how to deal with wind/rain there

Not trying to say Taylor is as good or even close to Ben. But taking that game and saying it is proof that Taylor is not a good QB isn't sound analysis. 

You're right, which is why I first mentioned the history of it. 

Ben doesn't have a history of less then mediocrity, Tyrod does.

You know, those years playing in Buffalo where should of learned how to deal with wind/rain and all that.  :shrug:

Tyrod can't make his WRs get open. Pittsburgh's coverage held up well most of the game. Add in the complete downpour, and a really solid pass rush by Hayward and Watt... I'm not sure Mayfield would have even made it through the game healthy.  Tyrod isn't the greatest, but it's ridiculous to put the game all on him.

Edited by Bowman
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, stevegrab said:

There is a web site that has good info on what games (Fox/CBS Sundays) are shown in all US markets, along with a forum full of discussion on the why and so forth. http://www.506.com

Not sure what market you're in, I do know that Los Angeles only had SF-MIN early on Fox, with a late CBS game (LAC-KC) and Cowboys Game of the Week late on Fox.

ExpressVPN is your friend. Makes your Ip look like anywhere in the world. Allows you to get any game you want with the Ticket or other sites that allow streaming but check your location. Have fun

48 minutes ago, loaf said:

Dak was awful and he'll be out of the league in 3 years

Nah, he's just rusty and has an entirely new group of WR's to learn who to can what. The O line didn't help him all that much either. Fredrick missing and Conner needs a year to get stronger. Carolina's D is going to make a lot of offenses look bad especially at their house. I will be concerned if the look the same way on offense at home against the Giants. At this point I will reserve judgment until week 6 or so. I am more concerned about our kicker. 

on a bright note, I love the way our defense looked despite Sean Lee looking like Dak missing tackles as much as Dak was missing throws.

I was impressed with Trubisky. Bears fans have reason to be hopeful despite the collapse at Lambeau.

Seahawks are in for a long season. Baldwin out. No pass rush at all. Ifedi is the worst offensive lineman in the NFL.

Did I erroneously buy into the Deshaun Watson hype?

Can Mahomes really be this good?

The Beard (Fitzpatrick) will be back to his normal self by the time Winston's suspension is over. Any QB controversy will be averted.

Aaron Rodgers on one leg is still the best QB in the NFL. I hope it's nothing that makes him miss time. 

It's time Tyreke Hill gets recognized as one of the few truly elite WR's.

I miss Taz, Where the heck is he?

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/9/2018 at 10:59 PM, Cowboyz1 said:

I agree somewhat but I don't think Dak can throw a wet ball very good. I noticed in the 4th quarter when the rain stopped his passes came out better. The defense played really good and that's with Sean Lee having one of his worst games. I am incouraged by what I saw from from the D especially our front 7. The offense played like they haven't played football together ever. That will get fixed I hope. Dak was so indecisive which is not like him. His timing was way off, his feet weren't set at all like he normally does. I wonder if his WR where running the right and or crisp routes. I know this, Short and co. wrecked the running game and dominated the center of our line which is concerning. 1st game though. If they look like this against the Giants I am with you, it's going to be a long long season. 

Well?