[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

How Sad! Begging For A Forfeit, Wow!!!

Hop Devil

I was just about to say the same thing. This is the most classless organization in sports. Read this weeks ESPN the magazine and you will understand all you need to know about this sad sack franchise who thinks an open pocketbook is the way to win. Hell its worked for this arrogant, classless organization for the last 100 yrs. A perfectly illustrated point was made the other day at work, when one co-worker asked why the rest of the world hates us so much. Another co-worker summed it up perfectly. The rest of the world sees us the way other franchises in sports sees the Yankess. Arrogant, Classless, and overbearing. Whether you agree the USA is that way is irrelevant, as I dont, but I clearly believe the Yankees are.

You are right on. I particularly enjoyed Cashman trying to put a spin on it after the inital request to MLB. Their PR department is about as good as the FBI. Why didn't they just say something like, "we don't care if your families are about to weather through 120 mph winds and 20 inches of rain....we need a win and your team is our last resort." If they wanted to be the most hated team in sports, they are well on their way.

Boo-Hoo. You guys want some cheese with your whine? But your jealousy is understandable.

Better to be like the Red Sox, I suppose, try to get A-Rod all winter, humiliating your star SS in the process. Get a little cheap at the end of the negotiations, because you think the Rangers have no choice... only to watch the Yankees swoop in... then go back to the Rangers and beg, then lose A-Rod to the Yankees... only then complain that there should be a salary cap, while sitting with the 2nd highest payroll in the game.

"I'm hurt, I might need to go on the DL. Oh, trading me to the Cubs? Then I'm fine" Sign of a class organization.

I am curious though... How many teams need to spend, and spend, and spend (the Mets come to mind, Phillies, etc) and lose... and how many teams like the A's and Twins need to continue to win before people will stop whining about payroll?

Boo-Hoo.  You guys want some cheese with your whine?  But your jealousy is understandable.

I am curious though... How many teams need to spend, and spend, and spend (the Mets come to mind, Phillies, etc) and lose... and how many teams like the A's and Twins need to continue to win before people will stop whining about payroll?

392009[/snapback]

I love how Yankee's fans immediately lash out at the RedSox when they are attacked. But what about them!!!! Come on...no one in Boston would argue that the Nomar situation was handled badly. But at the same time, I don't hear any of his ex teammates getting on the soapbox saying how much they miss his game and leadership. I wasn't comparing the Yankees to any team. My point was that this is a PR disaster and it is just another chink in the Yankee's mystique.

Consider my reply more to the Sarge, that took the entire Yankee organization to task over whatever late breaking news his article had. Yes, there was a hurricane. Either get here days early (like they may have been informed to do, or how about informing people just a little bit ahead of time, instead of having people arrive at a ballpark at noon for a 1:00 game, then have it postponed to 3:00, then cancelled altogether.

You are correct jim, you weren't comparing anything to anyone. I think this is a non story if it was anyone other than the Yankees. It may be a non-story anyway.

Consider my reply more to the Sarge, that took the entire Yankee organization to task over whatever late breaking news his article had.  Yes, there was a hurricane.  Either get here days early (like they may have been informed to do, or how about informing people just a little bit ahead of time, instead of having people arrive at a ballpark at noon for a 1:00 game, then have it postponed to 3:00, then cancelled altogether.

You are correct jim, you weren't comparing anything to anyone.  I think this is a non story if it was anyone other than the Yankees.  It may be a non-story anyway.

392069[/snapback]

Well I think it is a story because of the timing...playoff time. But you are right. The Yankees will always be in the spotlight. It will be interesting to see who bungled this most. My guess is MLB, but the Yankee's fans should have been given more information I agree.

LOL, I live in Texas, where baseball is virtually irrelevant. Even in a pennant race most of the yr, the Rangers are second hand news to the Cowboys in training camp. So I could care less about the red sox or the Spankees. But the main reason baseball is irrelevant in most of the country is because of the yankees and red sox. We simply dont care who spends the most anymore. If Football and basketball were this way, Im sure people would get sick of the Cowboys and Mavericks the same, as they both have Billionaire owners, unlike the Yanks or the red sox. But football is the sport of the nation, and NY is irrelevant where an equal footing is guaranteed. So of course Yankee fans hate the Red Sox as they just won 2 of the last 3 Super Bowls, while your sad sack town has yet to win one since our coach led the Gnats to the only 2 it has won.

You certainly cared enough to write an entire paragraph about the subject you consider irrelevant. The Red Sox haven't won any Super Bowls, and if you actually believe that the Patriots and Giants have anything to do with the Red Sox and Yankees, then you are even more out of touch with sports than I can accurately describe here.

Yes, the entire country is down on baseball because of the Yankees and Red Sox. Which is why attendance is going to set another record this year.

And the Parcells comment? Moronic comments like that are the reason that some Cowboys fans (such as myself) don't make a big deal about it, otherwise they might mistakenly get grouped in with them.

Edited by LegFuJohnson

You certainly cared enough to write an entire paragraph about the subject you consider irrelevant.  The Red Sox haven't won any Super Bowls, and if you actually believe that the Patriots and Giants have anything to do with the Red Sox and Yankees, then you are even more out of touch with sports than I can accurately describe here.

Yes, the entire country is down on baseball because of the Yankees and Red Sox.  Which is why attendance is going to set another record this year.  

And the Parcells comment?  Moronic comments like that are the reason that some Cowboys fans (such as myself) don't make a big deal about it, otherwise they might mistakenly get grouped in with them.

392355[/snapback]

I cared enough to bash idiots who think a forfeit is relevant when a d@mn hurricane is ripping through the city of your opponent, and your sad sack franchise is so concerned about the Red sox catching them, which they have practically done, only 2.5 out with 3 weeks to go after trailing by 12 games just a month ago, that they want a forfeit rather than play the game on the field. Vasquez and Mussina cant buy a W, and K Brown is likely to miss time for breaking his hand, hitting the clubhouse wall for causing another Yankee loss, and you traded Contreras who is actually decent for Esteban freakin Loaiza, who is now a long reliever. Talk about a PR nightmare, it was on ESPN radio this morning as the Just shut award which resulted in the biggest landslide victory in 3 yrs, something like 82%. What an acquisition Giambi has been thus far before his problems this yr, and you only owe him what 100 mil more for a player that is washed up, Arod is a shell of his former self, and B Williams is falling like a stone with his bat, and cant adequately play the field any longer. Your best player is Gary Sheffield, and he is speaking of retiring after the season. This franchise better win it all this yr, as they are falling back to the Yankee teams of the 80s. The farm system is bare, the talent at the big league level is severly overpaid, and aging outside of a select few, and terrible contracts are going to force this team to be mediocre or spend 250 mil a yr to compete. O Hernandez is your best pitcher right now, and considering where he came from, that is a savior to this point, but do you really think he can carry the Yanks in the playoffs. The Yanks will hold off Anaheim for the Wildcard, but will likely be booted in the first round and can you imagine the meida frenzy over this team then. LOL, I cant wait, it will be like a train wreck that people can't take their eyes off of, yet shake their head that this team did it to itself.

I don't give a rats ass about baseball, and in my home town the Rangers can't even sell out a Saturday night game in Aug/Sept while in a pennant race, because preseason football is more important. As far as the entire country down on baseball, I said baseball is irrelevant in most of the country, not the country was down on it. A ball game in Texas is a social event for the wives to talk, and the kids to run around and the Dads to discuss the upcoming football season. Win or lose, we simply dont care, so even though attendance may be up, which is also a direct result of the mildest summer in some time, as well as more events than I can ever remember like $1.00 hotdog night on a weekend, or more firework shows have as much to do with attendance than what is happening on the field. I can bet you this, some this Sunday, baseball attendance will plummet from what it was the past few weekends, and you can thank football for that.

I dont believe the Red Sox and Yankees have anything to do with football, just saying the Yankee/Giants fans have to hope like hell to hold onto something, as the Sox/Patriots fans have passed them in the sport the country truley cares about, so to keep Yankess fans relevant, which of course they are not, they have to win the WS or else.

Edited by Sgt. Ryan

Where ya gonna be when the Yanks win the division Sarge? In the college football forum? LOL. Not looking to pick a fight here, but bashing the Yankees is in again, so everyone jump on the bandwagon. Y'all will be quiet as mice when they win the division. Face it guys, they are the most storied and succesful franchise in the history of professional sports in this country.

For the record, I'm not even a Yankees fan, I just get tired of everyone jumping on the "bash the Yankees" bandwagon.

Boo-Hoo.  You guys want some cheese with your whine?  But your jealousy is understandable.

Better to be like the Red Sox, I suppose, try to get A-Rod all winter, humiliating your star SS in the process.  Get a little cheap at the end of the negotiations, because you think the Rangers have no choice... only to watch the Yankees swoop in... then go back to the Rangers and beg, then lose A-Rod to the Yankees... only then complain that there should be a salary cap, while sitting with the 2nd highest payroll in the game.

"I'm hurt, I might need to go on the DL.  Oh, trading me to the Cubs?  Then I'm fine"  Sign of a class organization.

392009[/snapback]

The response regarding the A-Rod situation belies your ignorance of it. There was a deal in place and agreed to by both parties. The Red Sox did not cheap out. The players association stamped it out without cause, or possibility of recourse by the Red Sox.

Also, while it is true that the Red Sox have the second Highest payroll in the game, a good portion of that payroll is from players leftover from the previous ownership. If you paid any attention to the Sox, you would know that they have been making an effort to sign value players as opposed to high priced free agents. That doesn't change that they can't get Manny for $20 million, Damon for $9 million, and some other players off of their payroll. Look at the Schilling deal for 12 (or 13?) million, and the Ortiz deal for $6 million, and that is more evident of the trend. Give this regime a few years to get those contracts off of their books before you judge them harshly. Their spending habits are nothing like George's, though, and it's silly to compare.

Lastly, while I hate the Yankees, I don't consider them a classless organization. I consider them to be quite a bit over the top with their payroll. I consider them to take advantage of any situation they can to gain advantage. But in general the on and off the field conduct of the Yankee organization is fine, and how can you blame someone looking for competetive edge?

The forfeit thing was pretty low, though. About as low as it gets, and that would be regardelss of what team did it. I would probably not watch another Red Sox game for the rest of the year if they pulled a stunt like that.

For the record, I'm not even a Yankees fan, I just get tired of everyone jumping on the "bash the Yankees" bandwagon.

392520[/snapback]

You mean "Any chance to side with someone against the Red Sox", don't you? :D

Edited by Caveman_Nick

One question/point for those with the payroll and spending issue: Don't hate the player, hate the game. In all seriousness, why is it the Yankees fault if they're allowed to spend money. The league should do something about it, but until they do, how can people dislike the Yankees because they have the money, and, unlike some teams/owners, are willing to spend it.

I cared enough to bash idiots who think a forfeit is relevant when a d@mn hurricane is ripping through the city of your opponent, and your sad sack franchise is so concerned about the Red sox catching them, which they have practically done, only 2.5 out with 3 weeks to go after trailing by 12 games just a month ago, that they want a forfeit rather than play the game on the field. Vasquez and Mussina cant buy a W, and K Brown is likely to miss time for breaking his hand, hitting the clubhouse wall for causing another Yankee loss, and you traded Contreras who is actually decent for Esteban freakin Loaiza, who is now a long reliever.  Talk about a PR nightmare, it was on ESPN radio this morning as the Just shut award which resulted in the biggest landslide victory in 3 yrs, something like 82%.  What an acquisition Giambi has been thus far before his problems this yr, and you only owe him what 100 mil more for a player that is washed up, Arod is a shell of his former self, and B Williams is falling like a stone with his bat, and cant adequately play the field any longer.  Your best player is Gary Sheffield, and he is speaking of retiring after the season.  This franchise better win it all this yr, as they are falling back to the Yankee teams of the 80s.  The farm system is bare, the talent at the big league level is severly overpaid, and aging outside of a select few, and terrible contracts are going to force this team to be mediocre or spend 250 mil a yr to compete. O Hernandez is your best pitcher right now, and considering where he came from, that is a savior to this point, but do you really think he can carry the Yanks in the playoffs.  The Yanks will hold off Anaheim for the Wildcard, but will likely be booted in the first round and can you imagine the meida frenzy over this team then.  LOL,  I cant wait, it will be like a train wreck that people can't take their eyes off of, yet shake their head that this team did it to itself. 

I don't give a rats ass about baseball, and in my home town the Rangers can't even sell out a Saturday night game in Aug/Sept while in a pennant race, because preseason football is more important.    As far as the entire country down on baseball, I said baseball is irrelevant in most of the country, not the country was down on it.  A ball game in Texas is a social event for the wives to talk, and the kids to run around and the Dads to discuss the upcoming football season.  Win or lose, we simply dont care, so even though attendance may be up, which is also a direct result of the mildest summer in some time, as well as more events than I can ever remember like $1.00 hotdog night on a weekend, or more firework shows have as much to do with attendance than what is happening on the field.  I can bet you this, some this Sunday, baseball attendance will plummet from what it was the past few weekends, and you can thank football for that.   

I dont believe the Red Sox and Yankees have anything to do with football, just saying the Yankee/Giants fans have to hope like hell to hold onto something, as the Sox/Patriots fans have passed them in the sport the country truley cares about, so to keep Yankess fans relevant, which of course they are not, they have to win the WS or else.

392445[/snapback]

Good thing you don't care about baseball, hate to thing how much you'd write about it if you did. Most of the Yankee anaylsis was correct, I won't point out the rest, since you clearly don't care about baseball.

Really, there will be fewer people watching baseball this Sunday when football is on? What a shocker. Tremendous analysis, thanks. Just like there will be less people watching Sunday night football when its up against a baseball game than when its in November. No Sunday Night football Week 7? Wonder why.

The response regarding the A-Rod situation belies your ignorance of it.  There was a deal in place and agreed to by both parties.  The Red Sox did not cheap out.  The players association stamped it out without cause, or possibility of recourse by the Red Sox.

Also, while it is true that the Red Sox have the second Highest payroll in the game, a good portion of that payroll is from players leftover from the previous ownership.  If you paid any attention to the Sox, you would know that they have been making an effort to sign value players as opposed to high priced free agents.  That doesn't change that they can't get Manny for $20 million, Damon for $9 million, and some other players off of their payroll.  Look at the Schilling deal for 12 (or 13?) million, and the Ortiz deal for $6 million, and that is more evident of the trend.  Give this regime a few years to get those contracts off of their books before you judge them harshly.  Their spending habits are nothing like George's, though, and it's silly to compare.

392662[/snapback]

There was a deal in place, the players association didn't want A-Rod giving up salary, whatever, so they nixed it. So the Rangers and Sox tried again, and came to a stumbling block over the last 12 or 14 million of A-Rod's contract. The Sox declined. Once the Yankees entered the picture, they went back to the Rangers, agreeing, but it was too late, and the Yankees got the deal done.

I know that they brought Theo in to work the MoneyBall magic. I wish him well. The success that the A's have had only further weakens everyone's arguments against George's spending, because Beane has shown that you can win regardless.

However, I didn't know that it matters what ownership gave out the contracts, people like to point to the Yankees payroll. ESPN has that payroll around 184 million, topped off by A-Rod's money. Doesn't mention that it was the Rangers ownership that gave him that contract. Doesn't even take into account how much of that contract that the Rangers are actually paying, does it.

No, the owner who's spending closely resembles the Yankees would be the Angels, I suppose. This is a team that wins the World Series in 2002, doesn't in 2003, then goes out and buys the top free agent on the market, one of the top starters, another 2nd tier starter... shoots their payroll up to the top 3. And this new owner is just getting started.

One question/point for those with the payroll and spending issue: Don't hate the player, hate the game. In all seriousness, why is it the Yankees fault if they're allowed to spend money. The league should do something about it, but until they do, how can people dislike the Yankees because they have the money, and, unlike some teams/owners, are willing to spend it.

392730[/snapback]

But in general the on and off the field conduct of the Yankee organization is fine, and how can you blame someone looking for competetive edge?

392662[/snapback]

:D Don't know what you mean...if that's heading in my direction...

There was a deal in place, the players association didn't want A-Rod giving up salary, whatever, so they nixed it.  So the Rangers and Sox tried again, and came to a stumbling block over the last 12 or 14 million of A-Rod's contract.  The Sox declined.  Once the Yankees entered the picture, they went back to the Rangers, agreeing, but it was too late, and the Yankees got the deal done. 

I know that they brought Theo in to work the MoneyBall magic.  I wish him well.  The success that the A's have had only further weakens everyone's arguments against George's spending, because Beane has shown that you can win regardless. 

However, I didn't know that it matters what ownership gave out the contracts, people like to point to the Yankees payroll.  ESPN has that payroll around 184 million, topped off by A-Rod's money.  Doesn't mention that it was the Rangers ownership that gave him that contract.  Doesn't even take into account how much of that contract that the Rangers are actually paying, does it.

No, the owner who's spending closely resembles the Yankees would be the Angels, I suppose.  This is a team that wins the World Series in 2002, doesn't in 2003, then goes out and buys the top free agent on the market, one of the top starters, another 2nd tier starter... shoots their payroll up to the top 3.  And this new owner is just getting started.

392951[/snapback]

The point, really, is that the Sox didn't cheap out, they were fighting to get the agreement that was already in place through, and that was why they walked away. It was a power play against the players association, and Steinbrenner in his infinate wisdom gave the PA an out by picking up the contract. Otherwise they would have had to make the choice between caving to the Sox and admitting the market correction or leaving ARod in Texas to rot for another season, shading the league's best player from the fans.

As far as the Yankee payroll, of course you blame the owner that took on the contract. he made the choice to accept it, the same way the Rangers chose to offer it in the first place. The difference with the John Henry group is that they bought the team and didn't ahve a choice on whether or not to accept those deals. It was an 'as is' transaction. Who knows...maybe they will prove me wrong in this offseason. This will be the one that tells, though. If the payroll goes up significantly, I will not be happy with them.

Leagues best player huh. he was an MVP on a losing team, and once Texas gets rid of his sorry ass, they replace him with Michael Young at SS, and the team all of a sudden has chemistry and contends for most of the season, until Oakland puts it all together and runs away with the division. Arod got pitches here, he isnt getting in NY. His numbers as a result plummeted. Bonds, as much as I dislike everything about him, is obviously the best player in baseball. he gets less pitches than anyone in history and makes the most of those he gets. Arod is a great talent, but when you are playing on a losing team, because your ego is above the team, which is Tom Hicks fault as much as Arods, and as soon as you leave, the team improves this dramatically, just as it did when Arod left Seattle, there is something to that. Texas replaced Arod with Soriano in the lineup, as they moved Michael Young from 2b to SS, and even with less from Soriano than what Arod put up numbers wise and the same ole pitching, they are a better team. What does that tell you. Hicks was an idiot to give that jackass that much dough, and he is still paying 60 mil of that salary to get that cancer out of the locker room.

Arod is not the greatest player in the game, hes not even the greatest this yr on his own team. BTW, as much as I hate baseball, I love fantasy baseball and the titles and cash that cocmes along with it. i dont have to watch a single game to excel there, and I wouldnt have it any other way. Football on the other hand, I cant miss a play or I feel like I missed out on something.

BTW, Oakland will contend every yr with an avg lineup with those 3 SP, and Im not talking about Zito anymore, but Harden who is clearing passed him. NY, made a coup when they landed Vasquez, but the pressure of Ny is getting to him, and he is struggling. And I dont get the pressure of the fans. You Oprahers boo the stars, when they struggle, and they struggle worse. The Yanks are the only thin that sad sack city has, why would you jeopardize that because you are so spoiled with winning because of your franchise deep pockets. As much as Id like to see Texas gets 3 stud SP, and dominate for the next decade, Id rather Drew Henson be the next Troy Aikman and win what matters, Super Bowls.

And do we even want to go back to when Baseball was competing with football during the WS and MNF when it was close to 4-1 watching the football game. The NFL isnt trying to avoid baseball,you can bet on that, but the network wants to maximize its dollars, and throw a Turhsday night game instead of Sunday night and still have the freaking WS. If they went head to head, yo could have the Yanks vs the Cardinals, and the Boys vs any team in the NFL, and it would be embarassing the number watching the football game vs the WS game.

Edited by Sgt. Ryan

392730[/snapback]

And who do you think sets the guidelines for MLB? Just like Vegas runs the NFL (admit it!) for some reason George runs MLB. Why doesn't anyone stand up to this clown and get baseball sorted out.

And who do you think sets the guidelines for MLB?  Just like Vegas runs the NFL (admit it!) for some reason George runs MLB.  Why doesn't anyone stand up to this clown and get baseball sorted out.

396575[/snapback]

I don't disagree, but again, it's not his or the Yankees fault, now is it?