[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

How Sad! Begging For A Forfeit, Wow!!!

Hop Devil

QUOTE(Hop Devil @ Sep 8, 2004 - 04:02 PM)

And who do you think sets the guidelines for MLB?  Just like Vegas runs the NFL (admit it!) for some reason George runs MLB.  Why doesn't anyone stand up to this clown and get baseball sorted out.

I don't disagree, but again, it's not his or the Yankees fault, now is it?

396683[/snapback]

They are not standing up to him because I think most owners don't mind, they approve of the Yankees payroll. Its all about the money and the revenue sharing.I don't know all of the specifics, but when a team spends over a certain dollar amount, they get charged with a luxury tax that is shared with the other teams.

It helps the small market teams.

Alot of people in these small market teams will direct their hatred towards the Yankees because their team chances of winning a pennent or making the playoffs are pretty slim. To me its like David vs Goliath. When the Yankees come to town, they sell out. $$$$$$$ Everybody wants to see them fall. IMO - eventually it going to hurt the game more than help it.

Edited by Outshined

It's not the owners that are the problem (assuming for a second that there is a problem)... its the players that won't allow any sort of cap or stronger hinderances on the Yankee payroll. Most of the owners don't mind. They take their share of George's luxury tax and put it in their pockets. The A's front office doesn't mind, the more the Yankees spend, the better they look while they continue to win.

I think if it was going to hurt the game more, it would have happened. They won 4 titles in 5 years. If people were going to get sick of the Yankees, and take it out on the game, it would have happened by now. But instead baseball has the greatest postseason in history last year, with a World Series won by a team with a tiny payroll, and attendance is about to set another record.

Different note, dynasties are usually good for the game. People need someone to root for (or against). I'd watch the Twins or A's vs Padres or Marlins in the World Series, but I gotta think more people would rather see the Yankees vs someone... just so they have a strong rooting interest, one way or the other.