[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

FA - Antonio Callaway - this bid canceled

mgee76

Only way to free up contract years to give someone is by cutting other players.  Keep in mind, if you cut someone with only 1 year, you still have a penalty year for that player.  You will need to cut someone with 2 or more years or someone needs to pick up a player that you have cut to remove that penalty year. 

You have to think less like your typical fantasy football league.  This kind of league makes you think more like an NFL owner.  You can't just ditch players at will without consequences as an NFL owner (penalty years).  An NFL owner can't just pickup any number of players with an astronomical dollar figure, either (contract year and player cap).  There are caps and limitations on each team owner.  For better or for worse in some instances.  There will be contracts on players that you will question.  There will be others that you wish you could keep or add years to their contract because you only gave them 1 year (and you can, but it will cost you credits in the next RFA offseason).

If someone does pick up a waived player, the penalty year you sustain from waiving the player is removed.  So, in that instance it doesn't always pan out to drop a player that has 1 year on them.  If you waive a player that has 5 years on them, you get 4 years back, but still need to cover the penalty year.  This makes it so people aren't constantly making over their team every year.  As we get to RFA season, you will want to save your dollars for that point in time to obtain players on other teams.  

My advice: read through the rules a bit.  Maybe just a little bit each day if not all at once.  I know it isn't riveting toilet reading, but it may help you to get more acclimated to the league quicker.

Also, another piece of advice: draft and bid on players you want so you don't have to just drop everyone you don't want.  Or don't give them a contract in the first place.

I'm going to scour the rules to make sure you can just cancel a bid without repercussion.  Unless others chime in with their thoughts?

I kinda get what you're trying to do with the penalty years, but... what's the correlation to having them absolved if somebody else picks up the dropped player? Why is that a thing? NFL owners don't get their money back if another team signs a guy they dropped. And why would a player with multiple years only count as one penalty year? Is that supposed to be like the guaranteed portion of the signing bonus or something? 

It seems like there's no point in dropping a guy who has been assigned a one year contract, other than to make room for someone else. It seems like those of us who assigned 40 contract years from the outset can forget about adding anybody throughout the season. 

Not much to do but go along with it at this point, but I personally think half of the fun of playing fantasy football is reacting to the season and building your team through the waiver wire. If this format is explicitly not that, and is instead a total 'build from the start' kind of thing, it seems like the rosters should be larger and more contract years allowed. 

How do you really expect people to cover the bye weeks for their kickers and defenses under this format? Why would you expect anyone to hold two kickers throughout a season in a format like this? Or even two defenses? That'd be 20% of your roster on four players, of which only two will ever be playable week-to-week. 

Alex, it's a dynasty league. Did you not read the rules before you drafted? Did you not see the thing about penalty years? It's supposed to stop you from just that, adding and dropping people whenever. That's the whole point. Feel free to drop two of your manurety running backs and add a kicker and a defense. Quit (the really bad word)ing bitching about everything.

I did read the rules but I guess I glossed over the penalty years thing... otherwise I probably would not have just thrown together the contracts the way that I did.

While I would nitpick a bit and suggest that NFL owners actually have much more capacity to add and drop players at will throughout a season than we do here (and also that the appeal and fun of playing fantasy football is, for me, not the 'GM simulator' aspect), I understand what this contract year handicap is attempting to do. I would feel more like an NFL owner if I had a deeper bench, that's for sure.

To me, it is less of a 'dynasty' league and more of a 'contracted' league... so far. Maybe this will change when a new rookie pool and RFA season hits, I'm not sure. I'm guessing the contracts are generally going to be large for rookies and established players, but not much beyond that.

It is a little bit frustrating and I share most of Alex's sentiments, if only because of the growing pains associated with adapting to this kind of league on the fly. In hindsight, it would have made much more sense to start the season with a bare-bones list of bonafide starters, no bench, and add replacements as needed. It's completely the opposite approach to any kind of fantasy I have played before. The bye week concerns are definitely valid.

I mean, I think it's a little bit OK to bitch, even if I admittedly haven't been studying the rules daily and am responsible for the situation.

I have 9 players with multiple contract years. I can only really afford to drop two of them, Guice and Miller, without sweating too much for this season. But say I drop Guice... I'm giving up what could be considered my #1 rookie pick. That affords me the ability to add two spot-starters, if needed. Three, if somebody picks him up for some bizarre reason. But with that contract, nobody is going to pick him up this year. Nobody is as dumb as I was when I gave him that contract. If I drop Miller, I get to add one player. I have, max, the ability to add three more players the rest of the season. I gotta be honest... that is not fun to think about.

What are my other options? Attempting to trade a player like Diggs, or Allen, who each have 4 contract years, for one or two 1 contract year players? Would that free up room to add?

I'm not attempting to fucking bitch about everything so much as I am attempting to understand the fucking logic behind everything. 

Some of this stuff flies in the face of what I consider logical for fantasy football (which I fully understand this isn't) as well as my concept of dynasty football. I'll be going along with it the best I can, while attempting to keep my tone as fucking congenial and constructive as possible. 

Edited by alexgee

Fully aware that I'm only digging a hole for myself here at this point, but dropping my shitty runningbacks won't help me at all in picking up defenses or kickers unless those said shitty runningbacks were signed for more than one year. 

Again, really feeling like the need to carry two kickers and defenses on a roster of 20 in a dynasty league is... off.

Edited by alexgee

On 10/2/2018 at 10:51 PM, fuz said:

If someone does pick up a waived player, the penalty year you sustain from waiving the player is removed.  So, in that instance it doesn't always pan out to drop a player that has 1 year on them.

I'm confused by this... how does it not "pan out"?

On 10/2/2018 at 10:51 PM, fuz said:

As we get to RFA season, you will want to save your dollars for that point in time to obtain players on other teams.

OK, also... am I correct in assuming that the credits people are spending now to add players are the same credits that will be spent on RFAs?

And if you have available years, you can assign contracts to newly-added players right away, as you see fit?

As a player on you roster at the end of their last year or 1 year you have the option to resign that player by matching the bids placed for that player. When and if you match another players bid you will have the ability to assign a new contract to that player be it 1 more year or 10 years...."dynasty" is all about managing/balancing all player contracts on your team.  When you over value players your other players will be picked over...when you under value a player that player gets picked from you you....that's the challenge to dynasty, not who is fastest to the waiver wire each week.

• fuz changed the title to FA - Antonio Callaway - this bid canceled
  • fuz locked this topic