[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Count On Losing This Sunday

Shorttynaz

That was one of the most surprising decisions I have seen.

From tomorrow's Tunnel Vision:

If you were an NFL head coach, with fourth-and-three on your own 43-yard line with only 27 seconds left in overtime, do you A.) punt it away and accept the tie; or B.) Go for it on fourth down, where you either make it and accept the tie or don't make it and give the other team an excellent chance to win with a field goal? HC Frank Riech is a "B" sort of guy apparently. Though, perhaps, he may change that in the future. 

On his own 43-yard line. Isn't there a chart or something for this? I am pretty sure it says when the best you can do is tie, then take the certain tie instead of the maybe tie.

1 hour ago, TrevorThinksHeKnowsFantasy said:

He said in press con he would do it 10 out of 10 times. He doesn’t regret it. “I’msettling for a tie.” I’m not sure I disagree with him. 

Then neither one of you should coach in the NFL.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, TrevorThinksHeKnowsFantasy said:

It’s a good thing I’m settled in life & not looking for the opportunity 👌 we all have our sideline opinions. 

As a Coyboys fan you should be dying to have a tie on your record right now.

• Haha 1

The 27 seconds part I don't get.  You miss it and they only need 5 yards or so to be in FG rangem. You make it and you still need 15 yards to be in in FG range with minimal time.  I think HC are not aggressive enough many times but I don't know about this one.  Past the 50 yd line?  Other teams 40? Sure. But field position is huge here. It's everything 

Edited by purplemonster

Apparently he flunked math.  Nobody is crazy about ties, but FYI a tie is better than a loss, and the odds of a loss on that play/decision were far greater than a win.

This game vs NE could get ugly in more ways than one.

5 minutes ago, LordOpie said:

my memory is fuzzy... it sounds like y'all are saying that if they converted the first they couldn't win the game? Why? After the spike, they'd have a 1st down and about 20 seconds. A couple of sideline passes of 10-15 yards completed and they could kick a FG?

Don't think anybody is saying they wouldn't have won, but the likelihood of winning if you convert was lower than the likelihood of losing if you don't. the field position difference is the key. 

So why not punt and take the near certain tie. 

I was traveling yesterday, only watched my Browns blow a win and most of SNF so missed lots of interesting story lines from yesterday, still wrapping my head around this one. 

• Thanks 1

16 hours ago, TrevorThinksHeKnowsFantasy said:

It’s a good thing I’m settled in life & not looking for the opportunity 👌 we all have our sideline opinions. 

Yeah I guess for me it's an expected value kind of calculation. If you run out the clock/punt, you have a 100% change of a tie, 0% chance of a win, and 0% chance of a loss.

If you run a pass play to try and get a first down then there are 2 outcomes: 1) you make a first down or 2) you turn the ball over on downs.

For #1, the chances are still 95% for a tie and let's say 5% for a win. There is some chance you still lose (pick-6 or something) but it's smaller.

For #2 the chances are probably ~30% you lose and ~70% you tie. Yes they have to get in FG range and yes they have to successfully kick a FG, but they didn't have to go very far at all. Honestly it could be a 50% chance you lose.

The math here is unfavorable. You have increased the chances of losing without a compensatory greater chance of winning. Play for the tie and move on to next week.

• Thanks 1