Sign in to follow this  
Shaft

Gano ....63 yard field goal to win!

I'm still in shock......wait it was just a few seconds ago. :(

And could have been longer.

Shouldn't have happened. McCaffrey didn't get that first down. :bash:

But yes, I think it would have made it from 70. He killed it.

It's surprising that the longest field goal in NFL history is 64 yards.  If there is only a few seconds remaining in the half or game, why not try a 70 yarder?  I realize that it can be blocked or returned if it is short, but those are very unlikely to result in a touchdown.  It's especially strange that a fair catch kick hasn't been successful since 1964.  With a fair catch kick, the ball gets put on a tee, defenders have to stand 10 yards back, and the kicker gets to take his time with a running start.  It's essentially a kickoff.  It gets tried every 5 years or so but there should be several attempts each season.  NFL coaches play with scared money.

1 hour ago, michaelredd9 said:

It's surprising that the longest field goal in NFL history is 64 yards.  If there is only a few seconds remaining in the half or game, why not try a 70 yarder?  I realize that it can be blocked or returned if it is short, but those are very unlikely to result in a touchdown.  It's especially strange that a fair catch kick hasn't been successful since 1964.  With a fair catch kick, the ball gets put on a tee, defenders have to stand 10 yards back, and the kicker gets to take his time with a running start.  It's essentially a kickoff.  It gets tried every 5 years or so but there should be several attempts each season.  NFL coaches play with scared money.

Because coaches don't care about some stupid longest FG in history record. Why risk your players getting hurt on the final play of a game to kick a meaningless FG and potentially have points scored on you which could impact things like playoffs.

It is amazing how many fans think of such bizarre stuff that every coach in the NFL would laugh at.....

Just now, stevegrab said:

Because coaches don't care about some stupid longest FG in history record. Why risk your players getting hurt on the final play of a game to kick a meaningless FG and potentially have points scored on you which could impact things like playoffs.

It is amazing how many fans think of such bizarre stuff that every coach in the NFL would laugh at.....

I wasn't advocating kicking a meaningless field goal.  I am advocating kicking a 70 yard field goal to win the game.  I'm getting tired of having to explain my posts to you.

1 minute ago, michaelredd9 said:

I wasn't advocating kicking a meaningless field goal.  I am advocating kicking a 70 yard field goal to win the game.  I'm getting tired of having to explain my posts to you.

Nothing in your post gave any indication it was more than a meaningless FG from 70 yards with time expiring, nothing at all about needing a score to win a game.   

In that case, your tied or behind by 1-2 points, with a tie there's the potential for a block and return. When behind by 1-2 points no reason not to try and score. I guess most coaches think their chance of completing a hail mary from that field position is higher than kicking the FG. Don't think it has anything to do with being scared, and I'm tired of the coach potatoes who say silly things like that.