[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Playoff Strategy/Losing on purpose

bpkrufus

I know playoffs are still far away and anything can happen between now and than. I’ve been thinking ahead to playoffs anyways for my local. I have a good schedule until than. There are a few teams I do not want to play first round in the playoffs. 1st/2nd place get a first week bye. Now, assuming you are going to make the playoffs. Would you be willing to lose the last game before on purpose if you think it will set you up to play against a weaker/bad matchup team in the playoffs depending on if they win/lose. It would be a gamble since weekly anything can happen. But, if you knew you losing and say if a team won/lost would set you up against them in the playoffs. Would you gamble and do it. Most points, wins/loses would affect this. The week before you could potentially figure it out. You’d have too correctly get all teams potential wins/loses right though. But if you thought you could correctly get a 3/4/5/6 seed would you try it. Also you’d have to wait til right before kickoff to set your line up so nobody knows what you’re doing. This isn’t collusion or nothing right, just wondering if anyone else thinks like this lol.

I tried that one year, long ago in my early ff days, near the end of the season. I tanked one game, to try and miss playing the super team in our league. It worked, but full on backfire...his team laid the biggest egg ever and I lost to the 5 seed. Never again...play to win.

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, LordOpie said:

yes, absolutely. everyone should do this. However, I'm wrong about FF too often to even contemplate this tactic, so I don't bother.

The week before if I don’t get a bye, I’m def willing to try it if everything aligns accordingly. It’s  probably around 10-20% to correctly do this unless you’re an uber genius. If it’s even somewhat close though I’m possibly willing to try. Would be ideal if you don’t get everything correct and fu%% everything up that you still get in the playoffs and play against the best. If that’s worst case scenario, I’m potentially trying it. 

My first year ever playing, my boss and I were gonna make the playoffs. I wanted to play him in the championship, but turned out we got seeded to play in the semis. Was bummed it worked that way but I beat him to advance. The next week in the consolation game, he goes off for one of the highest scores all year. I won the 'ship cuz I didnt play him that week. Fantasy football is so fickle, take wins when they will come 

4 hours ago, kdko said:

There's too much unpredictability, and you never know when someone's roster that you believe is weaker than yours can have a career week and just maul you out of nowhere.

I recently just posted about a newbie in my league who traded Davante Adams for Crowell and I was wondering if that's so unbalanced as to be veto-able.  Crowell had zero yards rushing in week 4.  Welp, look who goes and gets 219 yards rushing the next week.  

Edited by purplemonster

7 minutes ago, Caveman_Nick said:

Bush league.  You are knowingly tampering with results.  Possibly affecting who gets into the playoffs.  Your actions affect more than your own team.  Totally unethical.

Its not affecting who gets into playoffs, unless by me losing that week the team playing me getting the win gets in because of that win. In that case I wouldn’t throw it. I would only be attempting to get my playoff position seeding to vs a weak playoff team. Not saying I’m going to attempt this. More so just wanted opinions on it.

1 hour ago, bpkrufus said:

Its not affecting who gets into playoffs, unless by me losing that week the team playing me getting the win gets in because of that win. In that case I wouldn’t throw it. I would only be attempting to get my playoff position seeding to vs a weak playoff team. Not saying I’m going to attempt this. More so just wanted opinions on it.

The opinions are overwhelming against doing it from, it being unethical to its potential to backfire. Will you still do it?

51 minutes ago, stevegrab said:

The opinions are overwhelming against doing it from, it being unethical to its potential to backfire. Will you still do it?

Will have to wait until near playoffs to see, if I am a position to do it. Than maybe so yes. 

Being unethical has no bearing weight. It’s game theory. If you can strategically get your team in a better position to win, why not. If you don’t do it, someone else will. 

FF at it’s core is a game of chance.  At the end of the day, you are trying to apply a fix to a fair bet of chance.  That’s dishonest and disrespectful to anyone else in the league.  I’d leave a league where anyone acted like that if there was no action to oust the offending owner.

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...