[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Help settle an argument...Non FFB related

chiefswarpath

4 hours ago, chiefswarpath said:

Hell Yes I am bitter!  My parents were in preschool when my Chiefs last won a Superbowl!! Man first walked on the moon the same year KC was world champs!......and to simply annoy my wife instead of saying peace be with you at church I have started saying Mahomes be with you. I have gotten just as many high fives as dirty looks. 

You could have gotten a '57 Chevy at sticker price the last time the Lions were NFL champs.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Gourdeau said:

No better example than Leg Blount.. 

And that's all it is, a cherry picked example. When someone is a strategic part of team for an extended period of time, I think it's an insult to act like they are so easily replaceable.  If that's the case, the Cowboys should have won their first two games the year that E. Smith held out, but nope, they lost. When he returned they went on to win the Superbowl. 

Edited by Shaft
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, chiefswarpath said:

Glad my drunken bar debate got so many responses here. I think the true debate is career stats vs career accolades  (or Escalades for KC fans) I just feel the Hall of Fame is for who had the better career stats and longevity. Fitzpatrick now has his Jersey in Canton for the first QB to pass for more than 400 yrds in 3 straight games and now he is on the bench. The HOF is for career achievements, and by career stats. TD does not belong in the HOF imo. Not comparing TD to Fitzgemagic here just saying an elite run on stats should not justify a hall of fame vote. Give TD a plaque in canton for a record setting 4 year run but he does not deserve a hof bust..........and neither does my man Jamaal.

And many, including HOF voters, completely disagree. I believe it's a combination of career stats and career accolades OR an overwhelming preponderance of one. Jamaal Charles has neither. 

On 10/10/2018 at 6:54 AM, michaelredd9 said:
  1. Terrell Davis was the beneficiary of a revolutionary new running scheme.  If he had played on a different team, he would not have been great.   Jamaal Charles did it on his own.  And I think the Super Bowl argument is weak sauce.  I think it is argument that can be made in basketball because one player can win championships.  In football and baseball, winning championships is being lucky enough to be on the team.  The one exception in football is that a great quarterback can win a Super Bowl.  So Mike Shanahan and John Elway won those Super Bowls, not TD.  Jamaal Charles is better than TD.  Randy Moss is better than Jerry Rice.  Barry Sanders is better than Emmitt Smith.

This is just nuts.

Terrell would hold every RB record there is if it weren't for the idiot Matt Lepsis diving into his leg out of bounds.  And he would have done that on ANY team in the league in ANY scheme.  He was a special talent.  Jamaal Charles couldn't hold his jock strap.

TD belongs in the hall, JC buys a ticket to look at TDs bust.

Being as much of an Elway fan as anyone...TD was the reason they won the super bowls.  Without him they don't get it done.

16 hours ago, skylive5 said:

Sorry DMD but you are so incorrect. Everyone, and I mean EVERYONE, knows that Jim Brown is the GOAT and that Sweetness is 2nd.

That is a laugher!  He was the biggest player on the field in an era where offensive linemen were the size of modern day linebackers and fullbacks.

Payton/Sanders

LT

Smith

Dickerson

TD

Faulk

9 hours ago, chiefswarpath said:

TD does not belong in the HOF imo Give TD a plaque in canton for a record setting 4 year run but he does not deserve a hof bust..........and neither does my man Jamaal.

Well...he is and he has a bust. Soooooooo.....you can debate it all you want lol. I don't think Jamaal gets in but it wouldn't surprise me if he did. Adrian Peterson will get in before him. 

And I could make an argument for Bo Jackson based purely on speculation. But it will always be a "what if...." for him and thats the biggest bummer of all. 

Edited by tazinib1

I won't call Emmit or anybody else on DMD's list a stat compiler, but I do think that applies to Bettis (and without the SB win he isn't HOF). 

But let's look a bit closer at some career stats for Jim Brown vs. Emmit Smith

yards/game  Brown-104.3   Emmit-81.2

Both did that on approx 20 attempts per game 

So obviously Brown has the better yards per attempt (5.2 vs 4.2)

Emmit started 100 more games than Brown, of course his totals are much higher, he's got almost double the carries (4409 vs 2359). Brown  had better receiving yards/game, (21.2 vs. 14.3). and more combined TDs (126 vs 175, Emmit only has 50 more despite playing in 100 more games).  Brown averaged just over 1TD/game, Emmit about .75/gm

Of course somebody has some lame excuse about how Brown was bigger and badder than everybody else, I guess that makes all of LeBron's stats meaningless too. Or any other athlete that was bigger and stronger than their peers. 

6 minutes ago, DMD said:

If everyone else was so good, why didn't they run for the most yards? Kinda job #1 for a RB.

Not sure if that was directed at my post and talking about Brown.... if so, I agree if Emmit were the best he'd have averaged 100 yds/gm like Brown. ;) 

3 hours ago, LordOpie said:

Sanders is one of my absolute favorites of all time. I'd much rather have him on my team than Emmit. Sorry DMD.

Sanders was probably the most fun to watch. Half his runs were for negative yards but if got into open field, he'd make a defensive back blow an ACL trying to react to him.

10 hours ago, rr23724 said:

Terrell would hold every RB record there is if it weren't for the idiot Matt Lepsis diving into his leg out of bounds.  And he would have done that on ANY team in the league in ANY scheme.  He was a special talent.  Jamaal Charles couldn't hold his jock strap.

I would have had a scholarship as a WR at the University of Texas if our guard, who was pulling to block the CB, hadn't gone for the LB I was blocking instead and caved in my knee that day in Santa Anna, TX.

I guess you could say:  "I was a football player once, until I took a helmet to the knee".

• Haha 1

13 hours ago, CowboysDiehard said:

I would have had a scholarship as a WR at the University of Texas if our guard, who was pulling to block the CB, hadn't gone for the LB I was blocking instead and caved in my knee that day in Santa Anna, TX.

I guess you could say:  "I was a football player once, until I took a helmet to the knee".

That still doesn’t change the fact that TD was on pace to rewrite the record books before that moron blew out his own teammates knew.

• Thanks 1