[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

This fining people for daring to criticize refs BS

BeeR

Thread prompted by this:  http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000972507/article/nfl-fines-mike-tomlin-25k-for-criticism-of-officials

Not only is the amount ridiculous, but even fining him in the first place. Anyone else tired of this nonsense? Why do refs get such silly over-protection and why are they/the alleged mgt of the NFL so thin-skinned about it? 

I'm more tired of people defending others for breaking the rules and being punished. How many coaches get fined for speaking out about bad officiating? How many teams have bad calls go against them that actually cost them the game?. (Whiny Tomlin's Steelers won, what's he complaining for?)  Most coaches and players avoid it, apparently Tomlin felt he had to speak out and didn't care about the fine. So why are fans defending him?

I don't agree with everything the NFL does, the current rash of roughing penalties for very little contact, totally out of line with the spirit of the rule (and what the competition committee expected) is maddening. The constant tweaking of some rules for silly reasons also drives me nuts. (Shortening OT so that a once in blue moon situation where you play a full OT and then another game on short rest doesn't occur, because it is unsafe, but TNF every week.)

1 hour ago, LordOpie said:

i think failing to contain this would lead to some serious issues. These "men" might be making millions, but it doesn't mean they are reasonable people who can communicate their frustrations well.

I'm not suggesting people should be able to say anything they want, but $25K for saying a ref made some bad calls?   It's not like he went off on some way out potty-mouthed rant.  You really think no one should ever be allowed to criticize a ref for a bad call/bad game, esp if it's glaringly so and made a diff in a game?

• Thanks 1

I'm more tired of people defending others for breaking the rules and being punished

So I guess you were on the ref's side for those Clay Matthews "penalties" then?  And no one should have dared speak out?

And again:  $25K just for saying a ref made some bad calls?   You think that's reasonable?

How many coaches get fined for speaking out about bad officiating?

Most of them, I believe, but IMO 1 is 1 too many, again within reason (granted that's subjective).

How many teams have bad calls go against them that actually cost them the game?.

So if it doesn't cost them the game, it's OK and how dare they say anything?  ?

I'm no big Tomlin fan, but IMO this was lame.  It's less defending him and attacking the idiotic rule, or at least the severity of its enforcement.  Why should they not be allowed to question or criticize a bad call, esp one that is overt or even upheld after review while everyone else is going "wtf??"

3 minutes ago, LordOpie said:

sorry, i misunderstood. Tomlin complained after the game. I was saying that during the game is a bad idea. But yeah, I agree with you about after game comments... this is a bit silly.

I'm not sure why the NFL is so sensitive to post-game open feedback.

Ironically, refs (and the NFL) are a lot more forgiving during the game.  :)  Which makes sense; heat of the battle and all.  But even there I agree there has to be a limit.

Ok so you weren't defending him just lashing out a rule you don't like, or the punishment given. 

My view, coaches know this is a no-no and they'll be fined, most avoid it, some don't and know they'll be fined, and they can afford it. I don't hear Tomlin complaining about it (but I don't listen to lots of sports talk), so why defend him, or attack the league for something like that.

This isn't something new, it happens periodically. But I've also heard plenty of coaches say "I'm not going to talk about that, I know I'll be fined." 

I already said I don't agree with all the calls, and have issues with officials. I think the roughing calls on Matthews, especially the one they used as "textbook roughing" sending it to all the teams, were outrageous. I also heard members of the competition committee say this is not what they were intending with their rules discussions. Hopefully they can get the refs to adjust, it may have already happened as the number of roughing penalties was way down after first 3 weeks.