[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Is Eli really done?

BeeR

ESPN in their infinite brilliance has already declared this....apparently having a POS OL shouldn't matter to them.  But that said, I haven't seen much of him this year...does he really look that bad, even on those rare occasions when the OL gives him time?

• Like 1

It's hard to tell if he's done. The whole Giants organization is a mess! If it wasn't for Barkley (and sometimes OBJ), I would have no motivation to watch them play. The biggest thing I've noticed is that the players just seem so disinterested, including Eli. IMO, the culture in that organization needs to change. I know Coughlin got a lot of slack, but at least he came with passion.

• Like 1

OBJ is your classic highly talented/poop for brains.  His attitude has and will continue cost the team in ways that don't show up in stats IMO.  Barkley obviously is a huge boost; if only they had addressed the OL more than they did, I say they're contenders.  But back to Eli...

• Thanks 1

Just now, BeeR said:

OBJ is your classic highly talented/poop for brains.  His attitude has and will continue cost the team in ways that don't show up in stats IMO.  Barkley obviously is a huge boost; if only they had addressed the OL more than they did, I say they're contenders.  But back to Eli...

Like I was saying, it's hard to tell. Some of his throws have been great, others have been awful, BUT that's always been ELI. He should get traded to Denver for one last push. 

That should've been a good game for Manning at home against a secondary that has been soft on the road. He just seemed so off almost all night. The O-line has been bad for many years and Manning could still connect with his WRs.

5 hours ago, BeeR said:

OBJ is your classic highly talented/poop for brains.

:lol:

In all seriousness, been a Giants fan a long time. The bad OL play continues. When Eli sin't comfortable back there, game over. That said, even when he's had some time, he's missed more shots that usual downfield and at least appears to prefer the check down game. After getting away from it in Carolina, went right back to it. :bash:

• Thanks 1

Eli is who he is. If you give him time he's as good as any starting QB - Good Eli. If he gets pressured, however, he's Bad Eli in most instances. Usually you can tell early which one he is for that game because it's all over once you see the first Eli Manning Face. It's nothing but downhill after that.

Not really.  Some QBs aren't that great even when they have time.  Again I haven't seen much of him this year, but I seriously question whether he's suddenly "done" because he stunk it up on one prime time game behind an OL made of paper mache.  He might be, but IMO it's more likely that it's just ESPN and the other talking heads once again just latching onto something for "click bait."

Edited by BeeR
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Tripleshot said:

Eli is who he is. If you give him time he's as good as any starting QB - Good Eli. If he gets pressured, however, he's Bad Eli in most instances. Usually you can tell early which one he is for that game because it's all over once you see the first Eli Manning Face. It's nothing but downhill after that.

As a Giants fan I can agree. There’s a few levels to the Manning face but there’s a particular one that just holds no hope. 

He's done. Doesn't attempt any passes down field and when he does its a forced pass to his scrub back up TE that gets picked. At one point one of the announcers said the Giants were now 0-15 on 3rd down attempts and the other announcer said "don't think I've ever seen that or ever even heard of that happening." Eli goes drives where all he does is check it down to saquon. Not this game vs the Eagles but the previous one vs Carolina you could read pat shurmurs lips saying "throw the ball, throw the ball" as Eli proceeds to check it down on 3rd down n not get even close to converting it. He is done.  

The change at OL helped a little against Carolina and Eli was effective.  But Philly's DL is a different animal and they shredded the Giants OL all game.  He had no time to throw and they were triple covering OBJ, so the only safe throws he had were the checkdown and short slant routes.  Eli is not a mobile QB, so with an OL not giving him any time, he's pretty much done.   I don't see them benching him in what will most likely be his final year with the team.  But I wouldn't doubt he gets injured this year and we see a QB change that way.

• Like 1

Yeah I get he's in his twilight but not convinced he's "done."  Kind of hard to go downfield when your OL is giving you about a half-second to do so and your best WR (more or less your only WR) is constantly blanketed.  I'd be dumping to Barkley all day too.

Edited by BeeR

1 hour ago, BeeR said:

Yeah I get he's in his twilight but not convinced he's "done."  Kind of hard to go downfield when your OL is giving you about a half-second to do so and your best WR (more or less your only WR) is constantly blanketed.  I'd be dumping to Barkley all day too.

Especially when Barkley gashes the D for 10-20 yards a pop once he has the ball. I read the Giants owner was asked if they need to make a change and deferred to the coaches. 

• 2 weeks later...

He's not done but close. But you can't expect anyone to play behind that O-Line. Nate Solder and Hernandez have been pathetic. The GM (Gettleman) has really misread their talent. Now they are in full rebuild mode without a future franchise QB. If knowing they were this bad they should have taken Darnold at 2. Bad upper management in my opinion.

It is sort of weird to me. Barkley and Beckham have both been great fantasy plays almost every week but the rest of that offense does nothing. Imagine what Barkley would be like behind the Cowboys or Saints O-line. Heck, behind just an average offensive line.

23 minutes ago, DMD said:

It is sort of weird to me. Barkley and Beckham have both been great fantasy plays almost every week but the rest of that offense does nothing. Imagine what Barkley would be like behind the Cowboys or Saints O-line. Heck, behind just an average offensive line.

The fact that Eli can't move anymore doesn't help. He's a sitting duck