[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Thoughts on trading draft picks?

Lebowski54

This is my 2nd year in a 10 team league (and likely last) where they trade draft picks. Why do leagues do this? It just makes it to where the teams that are tanking trade their stud players for next years picks, and then the top 4 teams are absolutely stacked to the gills and it's merely a crap shoot at that point. What is the point? It takes the skill out of it 

1 hour ago, Big John said:

I never heard of a redraft league where you can trade future draft picks. Defeats the purpose of standing on equal ground to start off the season.

Exactly. I'm in another league also that my brother wanted me to join that is going to institute trading draft picks in a redraft next year. I've been wrecking both leagues, but definitely won't be doing either again. I really don't get why people would want to do that. 

I’m in a 10 team redraft league where we have always been able to trade draft picks. We can keep one player for one extra year as long as they weren’t a first round pick or a keeper from the year before. We are in our 11th season and it’s never been an issue. Everyone has the understanding that you can’t dump top tier players for low picks. For example the commish isn’t going to let a team out of the playoffs dump DeAndre Hopkins for a 3rd or 4th round pick

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Inziladun said:

I'm in a keeper league and nobody ever wants to trade draft picks. :(

We do it quite often in our keeper league, usually 4-5 picks each draft, most are lower rounds, but have seen some 1-2rounders, we keep 5 so still pretty low.

trading future picks should never be alowed in a redraft.  Fire sales of future picks to obtain players now can leave a team with an inadequate number of picks for the next season.  If and when that GM quits, good luck finding a new GM who will take a team without the full aresenal of draft picks.  This can ruin a league.

Trading future picks in Keeper leagues is a whole other story.  All my keeper leagues allow trading future picks, but with heavy restrictions.  Each team can only trade away or gain a maximum of 2 picks for the next year (avoids the scenario in the paragraph above), and it has to be for Keeper-eligible players.  But heed the warning: When these trades do happen they almost always cause complaints and objections because one player is basically sacrificing the current season just to get better picks next year and it can look like he is tanking because there is no CURRENT benefit.  The other GM gets a player(s) to benefit him immediately and for next season and it appears he doesn't sacrifice anything currently for it.  That is what rubs many of the other GM's the wrong way and there WILL be complaints and strong objections.  Can your league withstand it?

Edited by Dcat

Why wouldn't you want to trade draft picks in a redraft? What if I'm 1.7 in a 16 team league and want to move up to 1.3 to grab that guy that has slipped that I covet? Weapons of DMD allows trading of draft picks. I had the 1.1 one year and wanted to trade down and gain a better 2nd and 3rd. Whats the problem here? lol....this conversation is silly.

Now if you are talking a limited keeper redraft, the same thing. I've sold off my bench guys for future draft pick upgrades and have built championship teams that way. 

1 minute ago, LordOpie said:

this thread died three days ago (like Jesus!). It had moved on until you bumped it to deny you made a mistake?

:lol: I didn't make a mistake dude. Stop trolling. It's gameday. Go buy some beer and some chips/dip. 

I love trading future draft picks. You don't. Moving on...........

• Confused 1

8 minutes ago, LordOpie said:

i have never been in a REDRAFT league that allowed a team this year to dump it's good players for FUTURE draft picks.

have you? did it improve the league? Did it hurt the integrity of the league? Seems like trading FUTURE draft picks is outside the scope of a REDRAFT league?

Ok, wait. FUTURE draft picks in a strict Redraft with no keepers? How is the draft position determined for the next year?? Is it based on finish? Dice roll? Either way, In a strict redraft with no keepers, trading future draft picks makes zero sense.  I missed that part. 

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, LordOpie said:

i'm glad to know I'm not the only one you give noise to... please tag me (eg @Bobby Brown ) when you post some kind of actual football content contribution as I think I have missed your contributions in the past. maybe there was none?

I blocked him a long time ago. Booby Brown is just a forum troll who displays ZERO football acumen and contributes nothing to conversations. Thanks for quoting him though. Nice to see he's still talking out the side of his neck. 

• Thanks 1