LordOpie

general 2018 NFL trade deadline chat

I don't understand why teams are so reluctant to trade? I know LeSean McCoy has a concussion, but if I was a playoff bound team in need of a RB (eg. PHI), I'd be offering a low-ball offer to BUF. And why wouldn't BUF take the offer?  Here's another trade no-go that confuses me... if sources (eg. my local sports talk radio) are convinced that DT isn't with the team in 2019, then why not trade him?! None of the 'insiders' were convinced the $70m contract was a good idea in the first place.

9 News Denver's Mike Klis reports the Broncos will not trade and are not shopping Demaryius Thomas ahead of next Tuesday's trade deadline.

Klis says it's a "good bet" Thomas finishes the season in Denver. The soon-to-be 31-year-old (in December) is signed through 2019 at a $14 million salary next year. We'd say it's a "good bet" this is Thomas' last year with the team, at least on that contract. He's likely to be cut or dealt in the offseason.

Oct 24 - 10:04 AM

My sense is there have been plenty of offers back and forth, just teams too far apart. The deadline will likely pressure a couple of teams to cave.

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, soopanuts said:

My sense is there have been plenty of offers back and forth, just teams too far apart. The deadline will likely pressure a couple of teams to cave.

Yeah. But if I was a GM of a team not going to the playoffs with an older player, I'm taking whatever I can get.

Like why hasn't OAK traded Jordy Nelson to NOS for a 7th?

5 minutes ago, LordOpie said:

Like why hasn't OAK traded Jordy Nelson to NOS for a 7th?

Most likely because the NFL has this thing called a salary cap and the Saints have less than one million under the cap and Jordy's 2018 cap hit is 7 plus mil on own.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 Cleveland Browns           $55,020,503
2 Indianapolis Colts            $51,989,682
3 San Francisco 49ers        $35,944,582
4 Tennessee Titans             $23,549,567
5 Houston Texans               $21,125,376
6 New York Jets                  $19,640,460

League Average                  $11,573,380

7 Philadelphia Eagles          $11,040,988
8 Cincinnati Bengals            $10,281,294
9 New York Giants               $10,270,805
10 Buffalo Bills                     $10,135,484
11 Baltimore Ravens           $9,963,101
12 Washington Redskins     $9,896,334
13 Pittsburgh Steelers         $9,294,886
14 Miami Dolphins               $8,863,332
15 Oakland Raiders             $8,745,139
16 Arizona Cardinals           $8,227,488
17 New England Patriots     $7,420,434
18 Atlanta Falcons               $6,616,552
19 Dallas Cowboys              $6,429,198
20 Jacksonville Jaguars       $6,174,289
21 Kansas City Chiefs          $5,598,829
22 Chicago Bears                 $5,438,924
23 Tampa Bay Buccaneers   $5,353,830
24 Los Angeles Rams           $4,213,265
25 Los Angeles Chargers      $3,696,444
26 Denver Broncos                $3,652,662
27 Green Bay Packers          $3,367,681
28 Seattle Seahawks            $2,509,796
29 Detroit Lions                     $2,502,528
30 Minnesota Vikings            $2,375,798
31 New Orleans Saints          $769,717
32 Carolina Panthers             $239,188

19 hours ago, Bobby Brown said:

Most likely because the NFL has this thing called a salary cap and the Saints have less than one million under the cap and Jordy's 2018 cap hit is 7 plus mil on own.

Gee you mean there is more to a trade than some gun on a message board thinking it would be a great idea?

Run into sports all the time saying "why doesn't team X trade so-and-so" then knowledgeable fans explain the reasons why that trade could/would not happen, sometimes simple things like a no trade clause, salary caps, no team with a brain would take that trade, etc

1 minute ago, stevegrab said:

Gee you mean there is more to a trade than some gun on a message board thinking it would be a great idea?

Run into sports all the time saying "why doesn't team X trade so-and-so" then knowledgeable fans explain the reasons why that trade could/would not happen, sometimes simple things like a no trade clause, salary caps, no team with a brain would take that trade, etc

please don't quote bobby brown as some of us have chosen to ignore his posts.

there should be a function that an ignored owner's quoted post is still hidden.

19 hours ago, Bobby Brown said:

Not to mention taking on a player already several weeks into the season and expecting him to immediately plug into your system and know your playbook etc. This isn't fantasy football. 

19 minutes ago, LordOpie said:

please don't quote bobby brown as some of us have chosen to ignore his posts.

there should be a function that an ignored owner's quoted post is still hidden.

Or you could just, you know, ignore it.

I'm sure a few folks here have you on ignore. Maybe I should quit quoting you to save their feelings as well. 

2 minutes ago, rajncajn said:

I'm sure a few folks here have you on ignore. Maybe I should quit quoting you to save their feelings as well. 

He cannot be ignored, at least that is what several of us are told by the forum when we try to do it. Very odd.

21 minutes ago, rajncajn said:

you should quit quoting me to save your feelings :lol:

20 minutes ago, stevegrab said:

He cannot be ignored, at least that is what several of us are told by the forum when we try to do it. Very odd.

I've been doing it for years with no trouble at all. 

• Haha 2

37 minutes ago, LordOpie said:

you should quit quoting me to save your feelings :lol:

25 minutes ago, Bobby Brown said:

Oh no.  He's ignoring my posts.

Watch this trick. :lol:

• Haha 1

Godwin's value would go up significantly if this were to happen.

Report: DeSean Jackson requested a trade

Posted by Josh Alper on October 28, 2018, 7:43 AM EDT

The trade deadline is on Tuesday and one member of the Buccaneers would reportedly like to be moved before the day is out.

Ian Rapoport of NFL Media reports that wide receiver DeSean Jackson has requested a trade away from Tampa. The team has obviously not acceded to that request at this point and Rapoport adds that they are not expected to move Jackson.

Jackson opened the year with nine catches for 275 yards and three touchdowns in two wins to open the season. Those big days came with Ryan Fitzpatrick playing quarterback and Jackson’s production has slowed since Jameis Winston returned to the starting lineup the last two weeks.

Jackson has 23 catches for 526 yards on the year and also ran for a touchdown last Sunday. He has one year left on his contract with a non-guaranteed $10 million salary.

• Thanks 1

NFL Network's Michael Giardi reports the Patriots have "discussed" acquiring Demaryius Thomas ahead of Tuesday afternoon's trade deadline.

Fellow NFL Network media man Ian Rapoport adds the Patriots are also "particularly interested" in Golden Tate, in addition to Thomas. Thomas, of course, was drafted by Josh McDaniels in Denver and may need a change of scenery. He's been brutal in Denver this season, pacing the league in dropped passes. And with Josh Gordon suddenly on thinner ice due to tardiness problems, the Patriots may be in the market for outside WR help. Tate is the better player at this stage.
Related: Patriots, Golden Tate

Oct 29 - 6:46 PM

wait, is Rapoport suggesting that NEP want both?

Wasn’t this supposed to be the most active and super crazy trade deadline in NFL history? Yet I’m still sitting here waiting for something to happen 

DEN is asking for a 3rd round pick for DT... who is barely worth his expensive contract. Sounds to me that DEN should take a 7th because they're likely to cut him next year. I think my broncos are delusional.

rumor on radio is that HOU is talking to DEN about DT...

1 hour ago, LordOpie said:

rumor on radio is that HOU is talking to DEN about DT...

Rappoport is saying they are working on a deal.

2 minutes ago, Big John said:

Rappoport is saying they are working on a deal.

And DT's first game as a Texan, vs Denver, In Denver

• Like 1

Golden Tate to Eagles for a 3rd.

Edited by Big John

1 hour ago, Big John said:

Golden Tate to Eagles for a 3rd.

Why? Are they going to play him at rb?