[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Giants fire sale

soopanuts

8 minutes ago, darin3 said:

OBJ throwing a tantrum yet?

He and Barkley are probably the two WON'T TRADE guys, maybe any difference makers (Jenkins?) on defense.

Giants are saying they won't trade Eli, maybe that's more about his no trade clause than the Giants or other teams being interested.

Yeah, hard to see them trading Eli, especially given the no trade clause. The only place I could see happening is Jacksonville, given his history with Coughlin. Also, I sense Lauletta will likely be starting after the bye week. He wouldn't be the first Manning to play for another team.

Jenkins is probably the most likely candidate. Could get flipped for another 5th rounder.

I'm not so convinced Eli would be better than Bortles. Jags o-line is beat up AND playing poorly. Little ol' Eli wouldn't be doing any better in Jacksonville than he's currently doing in New York as far as that's concerned and considering most talking heads are calling his career done, I don't see the appeal as a Jags fan...

We SHOULD have gotten a QB in the offseason, at this point it'd surprise me if we made a move for anyone at the position.

• Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, LordOpie said:

yes, this.

I don't think there's any QB that could be acquired that's any better than Bortles. Kind of an obvious statement because no one is trading a Brees, Rodgers, or Alex Smith.

Plenty of NFL QBs including some backups that are better than Bortles, maybe even his own backup. His career numbers are pretty bad, 59% completion, 99TDs 72INTs, 

On 10/24/2018 at 12:10 PM, soopanuts said:

Jenkins is probably the most likely candidate. Could get flipped for another 5th rounder.

Isn't The Jackrabbit getting picked on left and right?  I was under the impression he's been a shell of his former self while with the G-men.  I doubt anyone would give a 5th.  I dunno, maybe?

22 hours ago, stevegrab said:

Plenty of NFL QBs including some backups that are better than Bortles, maybe even his own backup. His career numbers are pretty bad, 59% completion, 99TDs 72INTs, 

That's the narrative, I just don't buy it. Bortles isn't great, but there's noone the Jags can trade for that would help them out any this year. Teddy B., Bradford, Manning, RG3, ect. are not going to work miracles on this offense. The best bet Jags have is to re-establish their run game, stop dropping catchable passes (god the drops on 3rd down have killed this team) and to limit turnovers. All is feasible, I'm just thinking it comes a little too late for the Jags to make a post-season run this year.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Inziladun said:

That's the narrative, I just don't buy it. Bortles isn't great, but there's noone the Jags can trade for that would help them out any this year. Teddy B., Bradford, Manning, RG3, ect. are not going to work miracles on this offense. The best bet Jags have is to re-establish their run game, stop dropping catchable passes (god the drops on 3rd down have killed this team) and to limit turnovers. All is feasible, I'm just thinking it comes a little too late for the Jags to make a post-season run this year.

Agreed - the defense hasn't been as throttling as its been.  Loss of Fournette has really hurt.  I can't remember where I saw it, but the swing from where they were at run/pass-wise from last year to this has been crazy.

1 hour ago, darin3 said:

Agreed - the defense hasn't been as throttling as its been.  Loss of Fournette has really hurt.  I can't remember where I saw it, but the swing from where they were at run/pass-wise from last year to this has been crazy.

Maybe the Jags just aren't that good? Is it possible last season was a fluke? They have no QB, no WR1 and a running back that can't  wake up without pulling a hammy.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, League_Champion said:

Maybe the Jags just aren't that good? Is it possible last season was a fluke? They have no QB, no WR1 and a running back that can't  wake up without pulling a hammy.

We've had injuries at the following positions:
LT, LT2, LG, C, RG, RT, RB, RB, RB, WR, WR, PR, TE, TE2, TE3, CB2, NB, NB2, DE, DE.

I'll relent a bit to say last season was a fluke in the way that the only notable injury we had was losing A-Rob for the year. Not that losing your WR1 is a small thing.

But to say last season was a "fluke" in terms of talent is just insulting. Injury bug bit the Jags hard this year. Our QB is only good when everything around him has been good and can't carry the offense. Defense gets put in bad situations and has lost morale in a couple games.

I don't think Jags are world beaters and I admit we're not deep enough on offense to overcome the injuries. We definitely need a new QB. But Bortles has proven to be serviceable with a No. 1 rushing attack and a healthy o-line. But currently he leads the league in Turnovers, so that's awesome too.

Our WR Corp is young but talented. No true No. 1 talent but I don't think its needed in our offense. If we got a new QB and got pass happy I might see needing a No. 1. But really the only thing this team needs is: O-line depth(which is every team pretty much), TE depth, and a new QB.

Edited by Inziladun