[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

I'm done with FF Fellas

CowboysDiehard

This is the time of year people typically get burnt out. Whether your season was a complete waste of time is becoming more and more clear as these later weeks roll by. All the hype has subsided for over half of the league and it's pretty clear who the league winners are going to be. This year is particularly annoying because 99% of the championship teams are going to have Todd Gurley, Alvin Kamara, Melvin Gordon or James Conner on their team. So good luck if you don't have either of those guys.

Been trying to get out of Fantasy for years now. Seems like every year I get roped into a couple of leagues last second because people ask me to join and I can't say no.. RBBC's and the lack of workhorse backs, as well as the offensive rule changes giving rise to viable WRs galore on the waiver wire has killed the game for me this year. I don't have much hope it'll change. If you have a stud RB or two, you're basically guaranteed a Championship appearance given that you're not brain dead on the waiver wire.

Edited by Inziladun
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, Shorttynaz said:

I'm kinda with @CowboysDiehard on this one.  I've been playing fantasy football for 20 years or so now.  I've had some success in the past, but these past 5 or 6 years - every season I wonder why I do this?  A few years ago I was in 8 leagues.  That's when it all went downhill.  This year I'm only doing 2 and I feel that it's 2 too many.  These past 3 weeks I haven't even watched much.  I got the ticket and RedZone channel, but I've found myself wanting to play Xbox more than I have wanted to watch football. 

It's not directly related to fantasy as I'm 5-4 in one league and 7-2 in another.  I know @irish took the year off last year and not sure he came back to play this season.  Wondering how that went - did a year off make a difference?  Did you miss it last year?  Did you regret not playing?  

My loss of interest in the NFL is (I think) more to do with how much of a paddy-cake league it's become.  Can't touch the QB's helmet, let alone tackle him.  Can't tackle a defender if he's not prepared for the tackle.  Can't celebrate a score.  It's like the NFL wants these 55-53 scores each week.  What's the point of defense then?  I enjoy watching a good defense more than I enjoy watching someone run up the score.  I don't know.  Maybe it's just me getting old - who knows... 

i agree on some of this.....i get it...the rules are changing....but i think once the nfl realizes people are upset with some of the rules/calls they will lighten up a bit...the nfl really had no choice but to show they care/are concerned with player safety as they were/are getting too much flack about it.....i think once its understood they made the effort they will focus more on the product and sort of lighten up on some of the calls...youve already seen it with the roughing the passer stuff...theyve dialed back on it after it caused such a wave/commotion the first few weeks

the other thing though ...i think its partly the rules and also part of the evolution of the game....its the same with the nba....the game has evolved...look at what steph curry has done to change it.....offenses are more advanced and have evolved....and defending it is hard and i think eventually the defenses will catch up a bit again....we arent watching 1990s football where routes and concepts were basic...pro football, basketball and baseball are constantly evolving(think about how teams are using bullpens in the playoffs...and how some teams are throwing out 4-5 pitchers and letting them pitch 1-2 innings each in the regular season...so you cant get a good look at the same guy 3 times.....think about how the nba teams are going with non traditional lineups and embracing positionless lineups)....there are so many different routes and concepts now...and variations off them.....and there are a handful of HOF qbs out here now that are good at exploiting them.....

if you watched the patriots/packers game last night the patriots defense actually played pretty damn well for a unit not known to be very good...and against one of the best qbs of all time too...it wasnt like some monster performance...but subtly they played really well imo....there are still good defensive performances happening every week....its just tougher out there now

7 minutes ago, Inziladun said:

This is the time of year people typically get burnt out. Whether your season was a complete waste of time is becoming more and more clear as these later weeks roll by. All the hype has subsided for over half of the league and it's pretty clear who the league winners are going to be. This year is particularly annoying because 99% of the championship teams are going to have Todd Gurley, Alvin Kamara, Melvin Gordon or James Conner on their team. So good luck if you don't have either of those guys.

Been trying to get out of Fantasy for years now. Seems like every year I get roped into a couple of leagues last second because people ask me to join and I can't say no.. RBBC's and the lack of workhorse backs, as well as the offensive rule changes giving rise to viable WRs galore on the waiver wire has killed the game for me this year. I don't have much hope it'll change. If you have a stud RB or two, you're basically guaranteed a Championship appearance given that you're not brain dead on the waiver wire.

there are plenty of viable rbs.....its not just gurley, kamara, gordon or conner...theres still kareem hunt, zeke and a saquon out there...and even mcaffrey hasnt been bad at all.....so you almost have a full 1st round of viable #1 rbs that you could build around....and if you werent able to land them you probably had a chance to snag mike thomas and devante adams at the end of the first/top of the 2nd.....and fill in the cracks later....there are plenty of ways to build a competitive roster and ive seen teams win from virtually every spot

as i mentioned previously....all games are evolving...just means you have to also....you cant play FF the same way you did 20 years ago...or even 8 years ago....the league changes and you to adapt...as billy beane famously said "adapt or die".....i constantly see the same guys near the top of my high stakes league...they get it...they are shrewd...

Well let's see.   I pay for the huddle and read their content.  I also use Fantasy Index and Fantasy Pros.  In addition to that, I spend time in my truck listening to Channel 87 on SXM.  Scoring and keeping up with injuries isn't a problem.  The problem currently is that There is the 'Chiefs Guy' and the 'Rams Guy' in a couple of leagues.  They are absolutely thrashing everybody.  I know them, they do squat for research.  Good for them, obviously.  

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Shorttynaz said:

I'm kinda with @CowboysDiehard on this one.  I've been playing fantasy football for 20 years or so now.  I've had some success in the past, but these past 5 or 6 years - every season I wonder why I do this?  A few years ago I was in 8 leagues.  That's when it all went downhill.  This year I'm only doing 2 and I feel that it's 2 too many.  These past 3 weeks I haven't even watched much.  I got the ticket and RedZone channel, but I've found myself wanting to play Xbox more than I have wanted to watch football.  

Been playing a bit more myself now that colder weather is hear.  Working on RD2 right now...slow starting, but it's finally picking up a little steam. Lots to do.

11 minutes ago, CowboysDiehard said:

Well let's see.   I pay for the huddle and read their content.  I also use Fantasy Index and Fantasy Pros.  In addition to that, I spend time in my truck listening to Channel 87 on SXM.  Scoring and keeping up with injuries isn't a problem.  The problem currently is that There is the 'Chiefs Guy' and the 'Rams Guy' in a couple of leagues.  They are absolutely thrashing everybody.  I know them, they do squat for research.  Good for them, obviously.  

when you say "rams guy" or "chiefs guy" you mean team homers that just load up on their players?...cause im not a rams guy yet i have a gurley/goff stack and im a patriots "guy"(although i mix it up with ryan and goff)...its just smart....the rams and chiefs are a good bet to score 4 tds a game on offense...and you are pretty much locking in their points....same with the chiefs...if they arent team homers and are loaded up than perhaps they are smarter than you think

i understand even the best laid plans can go awry...teams can seem great on paper and then get decimated by injury or underperformance....sometimes a bit of both

the way i look at is this...if you take a 10 year period and you havent finished in the top 3 at all you either stink at what youre doing or you have bad luck.....so either get better or just wait it out for your luck to turn

Edited by forever in debt to mo lewis

5 hours ago, CowboysDiehard said:

Been playing a bit more myself now that colder weather is hear.  Working on RD2 right now...slow starting, but it's finally picking up a little steam. Lots to do.

Just started RDR2.  Just finished Tomb Raider and been foolin around with Assassins Creed.  

When the Seahawks won the Super Bowl my father-in-law remarked that we should appreciate it because no matter how good your team is an awful lot of things need to fall just right to win it all, like the turnover margin, injuries, etc.. Fantasy football is much the same. You could have nailed your draft but the guy who has Gurley also drafted Mahomes as his backup QB and is dominating. Or it's one of those seasons where you play the top weekly point scorer 2 out of every 3 weeks. It can be utterly frustrating. But I find that even if I'm out of the playoff race early I can try to knock off one of the top teams when I play them or somehow manage to get high points for a week or two. Find satisfaction in the minor victories. Here's another idea. Next year draft differently than you normally have. I try to draft the best player available but almost always end up going RB early but some of my best seasons have come when I had to switch gears. One year the elite RB's and WR's were gone at my draft position so I took the only elite player left - Gronk. Paired him up with Brady, nabbed Allen Robinson in his breakout year, hit on Jordan Cameron off the waiver wire and won my BoTH league. So maybe do something different next year just to shake things up a bit.  

16 hours ago, LordOpie said:

my son has been trying to get me to play fortnite. But finding times for video games is too difficult.

The thing about Fortnite and similar games is that when I play XBOX, I'm either down for half an hour, or two hours, but never know when I start how long I want to play.  Both my college age kids are into MMO gaming, and I have to tell you, it's frustrating when dinner is about to be on the table or something needs to be done, and they say "give me fifteen minutes", it's a pain in the ass (they no longer live at home, but this occurs over holidays and on summer break).

I'll quit playing a game at the drop of hat to go do something else.

Edited by CowboysDiehard
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I've considered it in my main local league. My record in that league isn't great over the years yet its not the lack of winning but the caring too much that makes me consider if its worth it or not.

Some weeks I do think it'd be nice to just watch the games without caring that Keenan Allen still hasnt caught a TD since week one or that I benched Tevin Coleman the week he went off. 

1 hour ago, LordOpie said:

Plenty of times I have turned off my son's Xbox while he's playing. It's happened enough now that just sighs

Careful or he could do something like this

https://www.cleveland.com/metro/2018/11/mom-took-playstation-away-so-11-year-old-cleveland-boy-led-police-on-second-high-speed-chase-in-13-months.html

I got back into video games about a year ago when an old friend resurfaced and I got an XBOX. We get together in person once a month or so, and try to game online at least once a month outside that. Our current favorite game is Rocket League. We love some of the old school shooters we played on PCs years ago like Doom but also play some of the new ones. We're both going to take a day off later this month and get together for an all day gaming session. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, CowboysDiehard said:

The thing about Fortnite and similar games is that when I play XBOX, I'm either down for half an hour, or two hours, but never know when I start how long I want to play.  Both my college age kids are into MMO gaming, and I have to tell you, it's frustrating when dinner is about to be on the table or something needs to be done, and they say "give me fifteen minutes", it's a pain in the ass (they no longer live at home, but this occurs over holidays and on summer break).

I'll quit playing a game at the drop of hat to go do something else.

Teaching my 8 year old twins this exact thing. When its time to turn it off, its time to turn it off.

On 11/4/2018 at 4:57 PM, CowboysDiehard said:

I've not won a dime in over a decade.  All my teams are losing this year....again.  It's time I admit the obvious, and find something else to do.  It's been a lot of fun, but I think I'm done with this bullscat.

It can he fun. Start or join a free league with friends and play for bragging rights. Team that finishes last gets a trophy the have to display until the end of the next season... 

A lot of people are frustrated because they have become fantasy football experts and they still have not won.  Fantasy football is not chess.  Randomness plays a role.  Being a fantasy football expert means you'll make the playoffs 60%-70% of the time.  And be champion 30% of the time.  You will fail more than you succeed.  Join 4 leagues to ensure 1 good team.

• Like 1

I quit this year too after 22 or so years.  Its been liberating and I don't miss it.  With all the websites now telling you who to pick up etc.. its just become a crap shoot.  Every year my ten team league maybe has one dominant team by mistake and the other nine teams bunched between 9-5 and 6-8.  

3 hours ago, michaelredd9 said:

A lot of people are frustrated because they have become fantasy football experts and they still have not won.  Fantasy football is not chess.  Randomness plays a role.  Being a fantasy football expert means you'll make the playoffs 60%-70% of the time.  And be champion 30% of the time.  You will fail more than you succeed.  Join 4 leagues to ensure 1 good team.

That's sage advice on one hand.  On the other, it's like saying, "here do a couple more lines to get rid of that hangover".  :)

• Like 2

7 hours ago, michaelredd9 said:

Gotta take chances.  You can draft a good team on paper but when you have David Johnson last year or Leonard Fournette this year - need to be able to make moves to overcome those.  Some people refuse to trade and I don't get it.  Others (me being one of them) get too trigger happy on the waiver wire.  You have to be able to look past those dumb adds/drops you made and move on.  I about being proactive and swinging for the fences too.  I just dropped Njoku for Heuerman (my other TE is Doyle).  I also just dropped Doug Martin for Tyrell Williams.  Neither are moves that would win me the championship (at least now).  But who knows.  They both could blow up moving forward and I would have two studs when I need them the most.  Mostly wishful thinking - I get it.  But gotta be willing to swing for the fences and hope for a grand slam, but at minimum settle for a sac fly.  

Edit:  I was in 8 leagues 3 years ago.  I was miserable.  It ruined fantasy football for me.  Every single week I was playing against someone in whom I owned elsewhere.  I had to manage free agent acquisitions everywhere.  It was a goddamn full-time job in itself.  I was literally miserable.  And the worst of all?  I only made the playoff's in 3 of them, and in all 3 I was 1-done.  

Edited by Shorttynaz

On 11/4/2018 at 7:57 PM, CowboysDiehard said:

I've not won a dime in over a decade.  All my teams are losing this year....again.  It's time I admit the obvious, and find something else to do.  It's been a lot of fun, but I think I'm done with this bullscat.

All you need is a good old fashioned sig line bet on Giants-Cowboys in Week 17! Lauletta will be starting...

In all seriouness, I agree with the advice of dropping down to 1 main league. Start there next year and see how it goes.