[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

I'm done with FF Fellas

CowboysDiehard

7 minutes ago, CowboysDiehard said:

I've not won a dime in over a decade.  All my teams are losing this year....again.  It's time I admit the obvious, and find something else to do.  It's been a lot of fun, but I think I'm done with this bullscat.

Yeah, you've pretty much been terrible all these years. 

At least you have those Tony Romo Super Bowl championships to fall back on.

I'm just messing with you old friend. It will get better.

No staying power. Not surprising I guess as you are a dallas fan. 

I haven't won a penny since 2005. But then I don't play for the

money, I play for the enjoyment of the competition with friends.

Suck it up and act like a Redskins fan instead of a dallas fan.

• Like 3

First off, if you're in multiple leagues, drop down to 1. This way you can focus on 1 team, 1 set of FA's, one group of guys to make trades with, one WW etc...

Secondly, if you're this bad at it, Let me know when your draft is next year and I'll give you a hand with keepers, draft picks, over all draft strategy and weekly line up suggestions. Main thing is we'll bounce your ideas around first and see if your strategy overall is flawed and that why you're where you're at.

• Like 1

Don’t take it so seriously 

when things go bad or you’re frustrated just shut it off and live another day

and I agree about a dynasty league and having only one team.    It’s how I am setup.  Things go bad you make moves for next year

10 hours ago, 'canes2004 said:

First off, if you're in multiple leagues, drop down to 1. This way you can focus on 1 team, 1 set of FA's, one group of guys to make trades with, one WW etc...

Secondly, if you're this bad at it, Let me know when your draft is next year and I'll give you a hand with keepers, draft picks, over all draft strategy and weekly line up suggestions. Main thing is we'll bounce your ideas around first and see if your strategy overall is flawed and that why you're where you're at.

this is pretty decent advice..

i play in a few leagues but 2 of them arent really a concern and more "fun" with friends...i often forget to even pull guys on byes out of the lineup and hardly make any waiver moves(im 7-1 in one of them and fournette was my 1st rounder lol..i have rodgers and mahomes....the league is too easy and its not even really fun for me but my friends think im great at it since im always in the top 3 every year)

but i play in one high stakes league that is my sole focus....its the only thing i care about

my only advice is devote more time ot research and find new tools or ones that work for you....if you dont really have the time to devote to it then maybe you are right...maybe you should call it quits....luckily i have the time and can do alot of stuff while im at work if i want.....if the time ever came where i didnt have that luxury than i might call it quits too...because i woudlnt feel adequately prepared to invest money in it.....

ive been fortunate the last few years...as i feel im getting better and better and learning from mistakes.....ive finished in the money the last 4 years.....in fact ive finished in 1st, 2nd, 3rd and 4th(not in that order) the last 4....but ive had some down years where guys dont pan out or injuries rack up...it happens to everyone....its a humbling hobby for sure....

11 minutes ago, LordOpie said:

don't do this ^

I know my advice will annoy MANY of you, but FF is no longer about player research. Not really. Okay, I little. I identified Thielen and Ertz before they broke out and bought them in all three of my dynasty leagues at a low cost and that has been huge, but it didn't take much research.

FF is way more about valuations. It's more about economics than football. Analytics over eyeball test.

Granted, there are several posters here to do the research for me. Several of you have great info, especially those homers who listen to your local sports talk...and I thank y'all for your insights. But i'm going to highlight one poster in particular who crunches info better than most...

michaelredd9

When that dude posts, read it. I'd love to know what he does for a profession because I bet his job is absorbing a massive amount of data quickly and easily and poops out useful compressed answers that lead to real profits. He's probably some kind of global commodity buyer knowing where huge opportunities and risks are throughout the planet.

yeah opie...

thats called "research".....

michael probably does it.....youve just admitted he does it for you and you piggyback off him....i mean...i guess your advice is just "tail michaelredd"...and thats fine.....maybe michael is talented and giving you a short, condensed, answer.....but hes still analyzing stuff....hes "researching" stuff....what data in particular i dont know and cant say....but hes not just picking names out of a hat

• Thanks 1

Just now, LordOpie said:

what I mean is, most people don't need to spend hours and hours doing their own research like we all had to 20 years ago.

Sounds like CowboysDiehard is burned out, so spending all that time would be the opposite of what he needs. Cutting back to 1-2 leagues and using ADP data might be better for him. But I think leagues are won on trading more than anything else and that's economics, not football.

granted, my view is skewed because it's easier to do in dynasty and I haven't played redraft in years, so I'm probably wrong :)

well its true most guys dont have to spend the time these days because thats what pay sites are for...most guys are paying to have someone do the work for them.....but paid sites are never 100 percent accurate and projections are off on alot of guys every week....if projections came through we could just set our lineups and not even play the game right?

analytics and "research" go hand in hand basically...

i believe that ff is part analytics and part eyeball test...if you arent watching much football but trying to play the FF game i doubt you will be very successful honestly...because you will miss things and not pick up on things.......look at baseball....most believe that you could literally have a computer manage a baseball game....most of these guys are going off advances analytics....but you will find times where they will deviate and go with their gut and leave a pitcher in longer than the "book" would tell them too....or make other moves that are basically gut feelings....

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, LordOpie said:

i'm currently in first place (total points) in two of my three dynasty leagues, but maybe you're right. Maybe I do more research than I realized and had only chalked up my success to cost/profit evaluations instead of research.

i guess one key aspect is that you have to find this fun.

i agree...you have to enjoy doing it...ive always enjoyed it and cant envision a day when i wont..ive always loved football since i was a child....id spend most of my saturdays watching college football all day with my father...even when i was like 6....i was fascinated....i would consider myself a junky...granted i spend less time watching college than i used to now as im older and have more to worry about...i actually wish i had more time to watch it.....i used to subscribe to recruiting newsletters when i was like 12...i wanted to know who the future stars were even then....id agree though now that its probably less important to pay attention to that stuff now as college football is drastically different than it was back then and its tougher to project as offenses are spread....

anyways...yeah...a part of me always feels like i can make a difference in winning/losing in this game...even if in reality is all just luck and doesnt matter what i do...ive convinced myself i can

I'm kinda with @CowboysDiehard on this one.  I've been playing fantasy football for 20 years or so now.  I've had some success in the past, but these past 5 or 6 years - every season I wonder why I do this?  A few years ago I was in 8 leagues.  That's when it all went downhill.  This year I'm only doing 2 and I feel that it's 2 too many.  These past 3 weeks I haven't even watched much.  I got the ticket and RedZone channel, but I've found myself wanting to play Xbox more than I have wanted to watch football. 

It's not directly related to fantasy as I'm 5-4 in one league and 7-2 in another.  I know @irish took the year off last year and not sure he came back to play this season.  Wondering how that went - did a year off make a difference?  Did you miss it last year?  Did you regret not playing?  

My loss of interest in the NFL is (I think) more to do with how much of a paddy-cake league it's become.  Can't touch the QB's helmet, let alone tackle him.  Can't tackle a defender if he's not prepared for the tackle.  Can't celebrate a score.  It's like the NFL wants these 55-53 scores each week.  What's the point of defense then?  I enjoy watching a good defense more than I enjoy watching someone run up the score.  I don't know.  Maybe it's just me getting old - who knows... 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, skylive5 said:

No staying power. Not surprising I guess as you are a dallas fan. 

I haven't won a penny since 2005. But then I don't play for the

money, I play for the enjoyment of the competition with friends.

Suck it up and act like a Redskins fan instead of a dallas fan.

I haven't won much in years, and it hasn't really been much fun in the past few years either. I may be done as well, 2-7 and looking at last place, which means the first pick, which means I'll draft some promising rookie RB hoping he's a long term part of my team in this keeper league, then watch him be a bust. 

PS 20 years of Browns version 2.0 misery hasn't helped.