CowboysDiehard

I'm done with FF Fellas

2 hours ago, CowboysDiehard said:

The thing about Fortnite and similar games is that when I play XBOX, I'm either down for half an hour, or two hours, but never know when I start how long I want to play.  Both my college age kids are into MMO gaming, and I have to tell you, it's frustrating when dinner is about to be on the table or something needs to be done, and they say "give me fifteen minutes", it's a pain in the ass (they no longer live at home, but this occurs over holidays and on summer break).

I'll quit playing a game at the drop of hat to go do something else.

Teaching my 8 year old twins this exact thing. When its time to turn it off, its time to turn it off.

15 minutes ago, heehawks said:

Teaching my 8 year old twins this exact thing. When its time to turn it off, its time to turn it off.

Ha ha mine are 20 now.  Wow, that'll happen before you know it!

2 hours ago, LordOpie said:

Plenty of times I have turned off my son's Xbox while he's playing. It's happened enough now that just sighs

Yep, i've done that as well.  Epic meltdown followed by a period of grounding. 

• Like 1

On 11/4/2018 at 4:57 PM, CowboysDiehard said:

I've not won a dime in over a decade.  All my teams are losing this year....again.  It's time I admit the obvious, and find something else to do.  It's been a lot of fun, but I think I'm done with this bullscat.

It can he fun. Start or join a free league with friends and play for bragging rights. Team that finishes last gets a trophy the have to display until the end of the next season... 

A lot of people are frustrated because they have become fantasy football experts and they still have not won.  Fantasy football is not chess.  Randomness plays a role.  Being a fantasy football expert means you'll make the playoffs 60%-70% of the time.  And be champion 30% of the time.  You will fail more than you succeed.  Join 4 leagues to ensure 1 good team.

• Like 1

I quit this year too after 22 or so years.  Its been liberating and I don't miss it.  With all the websites now telling you who to pick up etc.. its just become a crap shoot.  Every year my ten team league maybe has one dominant team by mistake and the other nine teams bunched between 9-5 and 6-8.  

On 11/5/2018 at 12:26 AM, Shorttynaz said:

Max Shelf?  ITwit?  

If it’s mAXE shELF then I quit now....I can’t take him again....God no?!?!?

3 hours ago, michaelredd9 said:

A lot of people are frustrated because they have become fantasy football experts and they still have not won.  Fantasy football is not chess.  Randomness plays a role.  Being a fantasy football expert means you'll make the playoffs 60%-70% of the time.  And be champion 30% of the time.  You will fail more than you succeed.  Join 4 leagues to ensure 1 good team.

That's sage advice on one hand.  On the other, it's like saying, "here do a couple more lines to get rid of that hangover".  :)

• Like 2

4 hours ago, michaelredd9 said:

in my three leagues, I make the playoffs about 90% of the time and win way less than 30%. 5%? Last year, I finished in 2nd place in all three leagues.

it's not too difficult to make the playoffs, but randomness is a huge factor in actually winning.

7 hours ago, michaelredd9 said:

Gotta take chances.  You can draft a good team on paper but when you have David Johnson last year or Leonard Fournette this year - need to be able to make moves to overcome those.  Some people refuse to trade and I don't get it.  Others (me being one of them) get too trigger happy on the waiver wire.  You have to be able to look past those dumb adds/drops you made and move on.  I about being proactive and swinging for the fences too.  I just dropped Njoku for Heuerman (my other TE is Doyle).  I also just dropped Doug Martin for Tyrell Williams.  Neither are moves that would win me the championship (at least now).  But who knows.  They both could blow up moving forward and I would have two studs when I need them the most.  Mostly wishful thinking - I get it.  But gotta be willing to swing for the fences and hope for a grand slam, but at minimum settle for a sac fly.  

Edit:  I was in 8 leagues 3 years ago.  I was miserable.  It ruined fantasy football for me.  Every single week I was playing against someone in whom I owned elsewhere.  I had to manage free agent acquisitions everywhere.  It was a goddamn full-time job in itself.  I was literally miserable.  And the worst of all?  I only made the playoff's in 3 of them, and in all 3 I was 1-done.  

Edited by Shorttynaz

On 11/4/2018 at 7:57 PM, CowboysDiehard said:

I've not won a dime in over a decade.  All my teams are losing this year....again.  It's time I admit the obvious, and find something else to do.  It's been a lot of fun, but I think I'm done with this bullscat.

All you need is a good old fashioned sig line bet on Giants-Cowboys in Week 17! Lauletta will be starting...

In all seriouness, I agree with the advice of dropping down to 1 main league. Start there next year and see how it goes.

WTF is so difficult?

• Draft players with a shatty D.
  • Start your studs.
  • Blow the devil.
  • Cash the check.
  • Haha 1

Like I've always said: Fantasy football is 91% luck and 9% luck.

• Like 1

This is why I hate H2H leagues.... I love total points leagues.... less luck, more skill.... Shame that total points leagues have pretty much gone the way of the dodo bird.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Papa Deuce said:

This is why I hate H2H leagues.... I love total points leagues.... less luck, more skill.... Shame that total points leagues have pretty much gone the way of the dodo bird.

i like Victory Points which is a blend of H2H and total points.

24 minutes ago, LordOpie said:

i like Victory Points which is a blend of H2H and total points.

I would too, if I could find people to play that way.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Papa Deuce said:

I would too, if I could find people to play that way.

every year, in the two dynasty leagues that I'm in which uses VPs, an owner leaves... not too bad really since each league is 16-teams. Do you play dynasty? Any interest? League forums are hosted on this site, so that's convenient.

http://forums.thehuddle.com/forum/253-live-and-let-dy-2/

http://forums.thehuddle.com/forum/224-dy-another-day/

2 minutes ago, LordOpie said:

every year, in the two dynasty leagues that I'm in which uses VPs, an owner leaves... not too bad really since each league is 16-teams. Do you play dynasty? Any interest? League forums are hosted on this site, so that's convenient.

http://forums.thehuddle.com/forum/253-live-and-let-dy-2/

http://forums.thehuddle.com/forum/224-dy-another-day/

I have interest in Dynasty, but have never played.

2 minutes ago, Papa Deuce said:

I have interest in Dynasty, but have never played.

the guys in my league are really good about offering insights, opinions, and rule explanations to new or experienced dynasty owners. I'll send you a PM so I'll remember come February to check in.

5 minutes ago, LordOpie said:

the guys in my league are really good about offering insights, opinions, and rule explanations to new or experienced dynasty owners. I'll send you a PM so I'll remember come February to check in.

Please do... I always seem to be late to the party.

18 hours ago, Chief Dick said:

Like I've always said: Fantasy football is 91% luck and 9% luck.

Andrew?

• Like 1

For me, the fun is derived from the process, not the results. Sure, it sucks to lose. But the way I look at it, it's like poker... You make the best decisions at the time, but ultimately you can't control the outcome. You can't do anything about the guys you have on your team once Sunday afternoon rolls around. But you can make decisions about who to acquire and put a plan together to get the team you want. It doesn't always work out, but I have found enjoyment in the process of taking a drafted team and molding it into a contender. Some years it works out, some years it doesn't. At the end of the year, I usually look back at the difference between what I drafted and what I ended up with, and the net is usually quite positive.

I distinctly remember certain seasons where I drafted a dud of a team and had to scratch and claw my way through savvy FAAB bidding and trades to get into the playoffs. And someone earlier in this thread mentioned the dumb luck people who ended up with Cheifs and/or Rams. We had a year like that in 2007 when Romo/Owens and Brady/Moss were both carrying teams to championships. And I remember winning the SB that year with Sage Rosenfels as my starting QB in the playoffs because I had built a solid team everywhere else. Those Rams/Chiefs heavy teams can be one and done with just a mediocre week. 

If you aren't enjoying fantasy football, then walking away makes sense. I took a year off in 2015, and it was a great idea at the time. I needed the break. I was in too many leagues, and I would take it too seriously. Now, I am in one league (main local), and I have more fun just putting my effort into improving that team to give myself a shot at the title. Maybe a year off to recalibrate is the answer. And if you don't miss it, so be it.

• Like 1

On 11/4/2018 at 11:45 PM, LordOpie said:

i feel like the "nostack" account is a new acct for an old member?

Swing and miss on that, been a paying member for 10+ years, forum member for 7. Dude wants to quite, he can ride iff into the sunset. No need to fish for pity on an fantasy football forum. Bye Felicia.

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Nostack said:

Swing and miss on that, been a paying member for 10+ years, forum member for 7. Dude wants to quite, he can ride iff into the sunset. No need to fish for pity on an fantasy football forum. Bye Felicia.

Play or not, I'll still be around.  Not going anywhere, Nutsack.