[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Good night, Le'Veon, where ever the hell you are

DMD

I would agree that his move had nothing to do with the good of the position and everything to do with him. Which he is absolutely entitled to do. The bizarre aspect of this was that he just went radio silence in the summer and still hasn't said anything. That's the only part I do not understand and think will end up hurting his brand. That was the only part anyone had a problem with really. He obviously told his agent not to say anything as well.

I'm fascinated to see it play out since it is pretty much without any precedent. Maybe he goes to the Texans and they recreate what they have in PIT. The pieces are there except for RB (and O-line). As an employer, his reticence to say anything and allow people to be misled would be a concern, particularly for a player who had two suspensions. Isn't the next for a year? I know he thinks he needs Gurley money but he's already blown an MCL once. Gurley has health and no suspensions and is three years younger I think.

Cannot fault him for being dedicated to what he wants to do. But he's 100% in it for himself which is his choice.

Wonder if he is ever going to give an interview explaining his thought process?

On 11/13/2018 at 1:33 PM, michaelredd9 said:

I'll be picking up Jaylen Samuels on a few teams.  He could be the best handcuff in the NFL.  The Steelers might have the best offensive line in the league and Jaylen has the receiving skills to average 5+ receptions a game.  He'll be ppr gold even if he splits snaps with Stevan Ridley.  Another concussion could put Conner on the shelf for awhile and his running style puts him at a high risk of reconcussion.  He is a must-add in leagues where he qualifies as a tight end.

Tomlin: Arrow pointing up for Jaylen Samuels

http://www.rotoworld.com/headlines/nfl/385545/tomlin-arrow-pointing-up-for-jaylen-samuels?ls=roto:PIT:topheadlines

Steelers coach Mike Tomlin said the arrow is "continually pointing up" for fifth-round RB Jaylen Samuels.

In a game James Conner left early, Samuels saw five carries and four targets against the Panthers last Thursday night. That usage is unlikely to continue with Conner fully expected back this week, but it does make Samuels something of an interesting handcuff, especially since he has tight end eligibility in Yahoo leagues.
Nov 13 - 12:19 PM

Yeah.  I grabbed him in my one Yahoo redraft just for the hell of it.  On top of everything, he has TE eligibility there.  Yahtzee!  

Oh wait it says that in the link... haha..

Edited by darin3
duh

Fascinating theory I just heard from Stephen A Smith....he compared Bells upcoming free agency to the Colin Kap situation saying that Kap was black Listed for making a stand... is it possible that Bell could be black listed ( in a different way ) as he is tying to reset the rb market... ie the owners collude to make sure Bell doesn't have a ground breaking contract ? 

37 minutes ago, forever in debt to mo lewis said:

stills seems like a bunch of average nobodies upset over a guy getting paid to play game for a millions and never being able to look at it from the athlete perspective

football players get the rawest deal of any of the 3 major US sports...he played under the franchise tender what? 2 years in a row? expected to take 300+ shots while touching the ball 400 times? i know, i know.....its not a financial death sentence what hes already made....but thats not the point....the cba is terrible....and the fact is you have to wonder who is really behind who when they negotiate it......bell is in a rare spot because overall the tag only touches a few players.....but hes still being held hostage and hes always done well by the team.....i realize hes a risk for suspension and whatever....but on the field hes put himself on the line......i do believe hes convinced, partly, that hes taking a stand...sometimes you can take a stand for yourself but convince yourself that you are potentially helping others down the road...i dont doubt he believes that in part....

Here is the funny thing to me about this. NFL players care about guaranteed money. As we all know the franchise tag is guaranteed money. If he would have gotten hurt on his first play of the season he was still guaranteed that 14+ million. He couldn’t agree to a contract with the Steelers mostly because the guaranteed part of the deal wasn’t enough for him. Just seems kind of funny to me

3 minutes ago, Finn5033 said:

Here is the funny thing to me about this. NFL players care about guaranteed money. As we all know the franchise tag is guaranteed money. If he would have gotten hurt on his first play of the season he was still guaranteed that 14+ million. He couldn’t agree to a contract with the Steelers mostly because the guaranteed part of the deal wasn’t enough for him. Just seems kind of funny to me

if todd gurley gets hurt on his first carry next week(god i cant believe i said that....please lord im praying to you...do notttttttttt) he still gets his 45 mil guaranteed.....thats bells point...hes already played under that tag twice....which guarantees him nothing the next year if he gets hurt.......and hes had enough....the tag is outdated and gives the owners the potential to use it on someone the way its been used on bell...its basically a 1 year show me deal...and the show me is "show me you can perform and NOT GET HURT".........bell has given his body to the steelers....they should pay him or let him be a free agent.......instead they are holding him hostage on 1 years deals....yeah its real good money....but someone like bell has proven, on the field at least, he deserves some long term security......if the steelers believe in him and believe he can stay clean..otherwise they should let him test

Just now, LordOpie said:

nope, not at all similar. Kaep was a social distraction. Bell, when paid, will just play. It's not like he's AP who beat his child or Ray Rice who beat his wife. And even AP got a job.

The 99% were behind it. Most (99%) of the players in the NFL don't have to remotely worry about the tag being put on them. So they traded the rights of a few dozen individuals for less practice in the off-season and more gentle practices.

I bet if Bell took the tag to the legal system, he'd have an arguement that it's wrong and illegal.

yup....i agree.....it doesnt concern most guys....it only concerns guys when they get put in that situation..and like you said ..its a verrrrry small percentage

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, Gourdeau said:

Fascinating theory I just heard from Stephen A Smith....he compared Bells upcoming free agency to the Colin Kap situation saying that Kap was black Listed for making a stand... is it possible that Bell could be black listed ( in a different way ) as he is tying to reset the rb market... ie the owners collude to make sure Bell doesn't have a ground breaking contract ? 

smith didnt come up with that..its already been mentioned by several writers/reporters....smith sucks....hes just regurgitating trust me 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, forever in debt to mo lewis said:

if todd gurley gets hurt on his first carry next week(god i cant believe i said that....please lord im praying to you...do notttttttttt) he still gets his 45 mil guaranteed.....thats bells point...hes already played under that tag twice....which guarantees him nothing the next year if he gets hurt.......and hes had enough....the tag is outdated and gives the owners the potential to use it on someone the way its been used on bell...its basically a 1 year show me deal...and the show me is "show me you can perform and NOT GET HURT".........bell has given his body to the steelers....they should pay him or let him be a free agent.......instead they are holding him hostage on 1 years deals....yeah its real good money....but someone like bell has proven, on the field at least, he deserves some long term security......if the steelers believe in him and believe he can stay clean..otherwise they should let him test

Don't disagree but my issue is he was offered 30 guaranteed and already got 12

2 minutes ago, Gourdeau said:

Don't disagree but my issue is he was offered 30 guaranteed and already got 12

hes not going to add that 12 into the equation...that season is over with and done....he got paid and played...hes looking at his future earning potential....and he, at least, believes hes worth more than the 30 going forward

it was a gamble...it might be a losing proposition for him....conner looking great didnt help...and taking a year off football cant really be good for anyone.....hes got some things working against him....but there are some rb hungry teams out there(den, indy, hou) that might think they are a piece away from being real contenders........i just totally understand where hes coming from...trust me im a pats fan and i dont like the steelers....but i will almost always side with a player in a situation like this......i totally understand the teams perspective and how economics play a huge roll in roster/cap management....trust as a pats fan ive seen many guys want their money or be traded.....just saw a guy, dion lewis, call my favorite team ever "cheap"...even though they were the ones that helped him get paid and really he was almost out of football without them

• Like 1

So what is Bell worth in a dynasty league? I’ve been carrying him his entire career, I have Zeke, Aaron Jones, Kamara, Guice, and josh Adams, and I was just offered a first rounder in next years draft for him.  It will probably be a top 4 pick.  

Thoughts?

2 hours ago, forever in debt to mo lewis said:

I’m not siding with the league so don’t get me wrong. I could personally care less what Bell makes. It just seems odd that someone who cares about guaranteed money would leave that much of it on the table. Like I said I’m very curious to see what kinds of offers he gets. 

15 hours ago, forever in debt to mo lewis said:

.thats bells point...hes already played under that tag twice....which guarantees him nothing the next year if he gets hurt.......and hes had enough....the tag is outdated and gives the owners the potential to use it on someone the way its been used on bell...its basically a 1 year show me deal...and the show me is "show me you can perform and NOT GET HURT".........bell has given his body to the steelers....they should pay him or let him be a free agent.......instead they are holding him hostage on 1 years deals....

I agree with this but DMD's point is also spot on - just be transparent about your thinking. If Bell had explained his reasoning and done some better PR he would've come out of this looking much better. Compare an NBA contract to an NFL contract - fans get it that the NFL contracts are crap.

The NFL players trashing Bell aren't too bright. When they want to get paid, what precedent have they set?

16 hours ago, Gourdeau said:

First I think Stephen is a big A-hole and 99% of what he says is done to stir controversy, often involving race and other divisive issues. So if he says something I tend to take as the usual BS from the start.

So I may be a bit biased but still don't think there needs to be any collusion to stop Bell from getting some ground breaking "reset the RB contract landscape" type contract, because he has shown (through not playing and Conner replacing him with same or better stats) that he isn't worth some ground breaking deal, he isn't even worth what some of the others (like Gurley since reports are that is his goal) are making now, let alone something more.

Then add in his drama during this year, his injuries, his suspensions and ask if any NFL GM is going to break the bank for this guy. 

1 hour ago, stethant said:

I agree with this but DMD's point is also spot on - just be transparent about your thinking. If Bell had explained his reasoning and done some better PR he would've come out of this looking much better. Compare an NBA contract to an NFL contract - fans get it that the NFL contracts are crap.

The NFL players trashing Bell aren't too bright. When they want to get paid, what precedent have they set?

Again as Goudreau pointed out, the PIT players (have not heard others trashing him) are upset because he misled the team, saying multiple times that he would report and never doing it. If they were playing poorly and Conner were not doing so well there would be far more Steelers complaining and doing it more loudly and angrily. 

2 hours ago, Caveman_Nick said:

Yeah, so I took Bell in the Huddle Message Board League first overall...mainly because I like to spread my risk and already owned Gurley in 2 leagues.

that season has been a complete bust :lol:

How do I get in on this league next year?!

Not sure where he'll wind up but unless it's with NE, I highly doubt he'll ever put up the same numbers.  He's great but he also had a stellar O line that bought him the time he needed. 

Conner has been great and remember when DeAngelo Wiliiams stepped in a few years ago?  He also put up great FF numbers.  My new rule is draft PIT RB's, even if they're undrafted retired 45 year old former water polo players.

• Like 1