[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Monday night Rams/Chiefs game, field issues

Wolverines Fan

I was reading that the NFL has a requirement for teams playing in these "international [London, Mexico City] games", they must keep their home stadium open that date/time, just in case something like this happens and the game needs to be moved elsewhere.

The Coliseum is open, USC plays at UCLA (Rose Bowl site).

It remains to be seen if the NFL makes up this game, by playing another on in Mexico City before planned. I have my doubts, the poor playing field is not the NFL's fault, the Azteca Stadium group should not have scheduled several soccer games and a concert there so soon before the NFL game. 

Will be interesting to hear how they handle tickets, and what kind of crowd they get. LA/SF are already poor when it comes to primetime weekday crowds, I know its early and traffic issues, but if most fans took the afternoon off they'd be there at kickoff instead of sitting in traffic. Somebody on another forum made a great suggestion, set ticket prices cheap like $20, and donate the proceeds to help victims from the fires. 

I was in Mexico last night and their telecast had someone walking on the field and the entire pitch was wavy. It reminded me on dirt fields we played on as kids that weren't raked out but at least with dirt, you could smooth out areas with your feet.

The league doesn't need to be playing regular season games outside of this country

1 hour ago, seahawk3133 said:

I was in Mexico last night and their telecast had someone walking on the field and the entire pitch was wavy. It reminded me on dirt fields we played on as kids that weren't raked out but at least with dirt, you could smooth out areas with your feet.

The league doesn't need to be playing regular season games outside of this country

Unfortunately the NFL has agreements to play games outside this country, the commissioner with the approval of the owners has made the commitment. This game in Mexico City is likely covered under the contract, and poor field conditions would void the obligation for this game, NFL won't have to make it up. But 4 in London each year going forward is not going to end. Some in the NFL think a team in London could happen within 5 years.

I don't like it either, would hate it if I still had season tickets and my team was giving up a home game (while still forcing me to buy 2 pre-season games to get the season tickets). The NFL has found a new source of $$$ and building their brand overseas for even more $$$. 

PS  I heard that next year they are playing a pre-season game in Hawaii, make up for the loss of the Pro Bowl. 

3 hours ago, LordOpie said:

Due to significant ownership issues, that team could be SEA or DEN.

As much as I am a homer, and don't ever want my heehawks to move.  That being said, I highly doubt they ever will leave due to a spectacular stadium that was built just for them. 

17 hours ago, LordOpie said:

Due to significant ownership issues, that team could be SEA or DEN.

Those ownership issues are not enough to get those teams moved to London. I doubt any current NFL owner is interested in leaving their US based home to play in London with all the logistic issues involved. Unless the NFL is going to give them some extra millions to survive. 

Jacksonville, Cleveland, Buffalo would all be far more likely than DEN or SEA.  But I honestly think the idea of a team in London is a pipe dream of the NFL, and may not happen without the NFL being the "owner" of that team. 

3 hours ago, stevegrab said:

Jacksonville, Cleveland, Buffalo would all be far more likely than DEN or SEA.  But I honestly think the idea of a team in London is a pipe dream of the NFL, and may not happen without the NFL being the "owner" of that team. 

Buffalo isn't going anywhere either, not under current ownership anyway. And I don't see Cleveland moving either. Jacksonville IMO would be the only candidate. Jax owner owns a soccer team overseas as well.

Edited by Piranha

9 hours ago, kdko said:

Imagine how many torn ACL's there would have been yesterday

Yeah seriously can you imagine a worse game to be played on that field.  The NFL made a very wise decision to move that game.  Legally it probably made some sense too.  You may be able to successfully sue possibly for unsafe field conditions.  I am talking out of my butt here, but I have heard worse lawsuits.  And these guys have some rather expensive wages to replace if they suffer a workplace injury due to the negligence of the employer. 

Edited by purplemonster