[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

How have you kept your team afloat?

NYpkBLUE22

I feel like talking FF right now. This time of the year is interesting. Teams have either steamrolled their way to the playoffs, in the playoff race, or completely out of it. So I want to know what position you are at in your league. What important waiver acquisitions did you make? What trades and did they work in your favor? And last but not least - what’s your position in the league?!

I started 2-5 with a team led by David Johnson/Jordan Howard. I needed to make moves. 

I traded

John Brown/Agholor for Kerryon

Demaryious Thomas for Baldwin

Howard/Parker for Chubb

Kerryon/Amari Cooper for Robert Woods

Currently #7 in the league at 5-5 along with ranks 4-8. 6 teams make the playoffs and the top 3 are 8-2 - basically guaranteed in. Tight race.

How about you guys?

Edited by NYpkBLUE22

im 13-7 and in 3rd place

we dont do trades as there is too much money on the line that they cause problems...at least thats what we deemed a couple years ago....and even then very few were made as it seems our owners were too timid to deal with each other....seemed like some people didnt wanna be wrong and others wanted something for nothing

i was lucky get #1 overall....and get gurley....also drafted chubb later and held(so pumped the day i found out hyde got traded)...drafted yeldon who helped me get buy while  mixon was out....although i grabbed yeldon over conner thinking bell would be back(the thought of having conner now makes me sick..my team would be soooooo good)

my receivers stink...real bad...cept for juju...i drafted hogan, jordy, and agholor after that...luckily i drafted ebron in the 16th round....hit with oj howard on waivers and have been barely getting by with a weak wr corps...burton has been ok too and had at least 1 big game.....

i lost a game by 4 points on that monday nighter when gb/san fran played as i was up big and my opponent had rodgers and goodwin going against me(i think thats like the only good game goodwin has had)....but i also squeaked one out this last week i prob shouldnt have when breida laid a dud in the 2nd half monday...ive also missed out on two wins with poor lineup choices where i left point on the bench that could have gotten me points wins.....i could be in a bit better shape record wise but i wont complain....but i dont have good matchups this week and my opponent does and has a real good lineup...and next week is gurleys bye(and ill be playing mixon and chubb against each other).....so i dont feel too great about the next two weeks

I started off 1-1, then lost 5 straight, then won 2 out of the last 3, I'm at 3-7 now and realistically out of the playoffs, last in my division. Oh am in the top 3 in points scored against. Lot of close loses (one by one tenth), but 2 of my wins were also close. 

My big trade was Ebron for Davante Adams plus a pick (keeper league), I had Ertz and Ebron was useless with the same bye (mistake during draft). After that my scoring went up, but I had 3 weeks where I had better scores but faced one of top 3 scores.

My biggest WW adds were Trubisky, who I had drafted late, then cut after some early bad weeks, and re-added. He now starts over my keeper QB Stafford and my main backup Dalton. The next big WW move was Tarik Cohen, who is now a regular starter. 

What has hurt me, lack of quality starting RB, so I've been rolling some combo of Coleman, Yeldon, Cohen, maybe Carson was in one week for me. Oh and a couple weeks ago, my Eagles D on by, added Raiders facing the SF rookie QB Mullens, lost that game and another D I considered adding would have won it. 

We have a few more days to trade, and I am trying to move my backup TE Greg Olsen (waivers week 5) or Andy Dalton for a draft pick, or maybe a player that pans out as keeper next year. 

Buy low, sell high until you get the roster you want. For example, Leonard Fournette. Every Fournette owner in my leagues didn't have the patience to deal with his injury. After 2 weeks they lost patience and couldn't wait to unload him. I picked him up in several leagues for beans and at no risk whatsoever. And it goes the other way as well. Someone has one good game and everyone is all over them. It's much like the stock market. You have to know when to buy & sell. My rosters look nothing they did on draft night. 

54 minutes ago, Shaft said:

I think who you're playing with (i.e. league mates) greatly influences your outcome as much as a draft and trading because their knowledge on the game can make it easy or tough for you to excel.

100%. I’m in 3 leagues and it’s clear that the 1 ‘non competitive’ one leaves a lot of room for iffy decisions and outcomes. Both good and bad. The league I mentioned above is a competitive league and it’s difficult to pull ahead usually.

Also I appreciate the input guys! I enjoy reading about other people’s seasons

Went WR-WR-WR at the #6 pick in a 12 man PPR, and have steam rolled with AB/Adams/Hill.  Started off the year with Collins/Breida as my 2 RB's, but luckily had stashed Kerryon and Chubb.  Got Goff and OJ/Hooper on waivers, and Lutz after their bye week.  Also drafted the Bears D/ST.  Sitting at 8-2 right now :) 

I used my 1st round pick on dalvin cook in a PPR keeper league and went with the strategy to stack WR  (OBJ=keeper, Evans, Sanders, Gordon). Made some clutch moves with murray, yeldon, aaron jones and mack on waivers to band aid my joke rbs minus cook. Ok in reality its PPR and I drafted zach Ertz round 3 because I knew after him it was a big falloff. I thought he would be good but nowhere near this good. That's why my team is afloat. He's been giving me a 20 points head start almost every week at tight end. Also my qb tandem of Ryan and Ben I thought would be just solid has been elite. And now my once terrible rbs are actually now decent due to a few breakouts and cook back so I'm hopeful I can win the league and have one of the better teams at 8-2. It's been a grind🤕

Edited by NFL343

Absolutely the best fantasy team I've ever had. Standard League. Brees---Barkley/J.White---M.Thomas/Juju---Doyle---Landry/R.Freeman/Kirk--Gostk- Jags/Chargers

Perfect 5/5 risk coaching decisions on the year, with a point gain of 45. ( 2nd place gaining 20, 3rd gaining 11) 4 Perfect Line Ups....#1 Power Ranking almost across the board, position group by position group on the Fantasy Pros Tool. 1st in Points scored, 12th in points against.....

5-4-1 Record, Tied for 7th/12.

So Honestly, it was my team who was keeping me together, not the other way around. I knew this was a good team, I knew I should be dominating, but every single week, I experienced no less than 1 "breakout game" from an opposing no-name RB4 player... fun stat to summarize how my season is going- I played against Fitzmagic week 1...week 3..and week 9. His 49,30 and 31 point performances. I somehow got all of Fitz freakin Magic. 

A mere 2 weeks ago I was 3-4-1 and pretty low. But FINALLY.. the Law of Averages has played out, and my team has won two weeks in a row for the first time this year. 

5-4-1 , tied with another 5-4-1 team, and six 6-4 teams ahead of me. Im ready to let my team of a QB1, Two RB1's, Two WR1's flex their nuts. and Gostk too, he gonna keep flexin em too.

So! The trade deadline is tomorrow, last night I made a trade that may send my team into overdrive, or doom me to the consolation bracket. Juju for Fournette straight up. Obviously my WR core is very top heavy now, but M/Thomas is no slouch ya know? And Jarvis Landry is gonna get right in Cleveland after this Bye week with the new OC right? And last but not least.. I can potentially have 3 RB1's. 3 of the top 12 RB's in Fantasy on one team. Plus Brees/M. Thomas, the #1 Kicker RoS , and two top 10 DST.

All that being said, White has been pretty spectacular this season, but I feel like once Gordon figures it out, and Rex Burkhead comes back, there will be a chance he gets bumped to be more in the RB2/RB3 range once the playoffs hit. Also, Fournette is high risk, on a losing team, and has been hurt all year....but he has fresh legs, is in a weak division, and clearly is the bellcow back of that offense. Also he's my favorite player since his LSU days, and I'm now thrilled that my comeback story this season will ride or die with my favorite player. So yeah, thats where I'm at!

Edited by Lewhite90
Standard League

I'm in 2nd in my main local high buy in league. Tied with 1st place. He has 12 more total points scored than me. We are playing each other this week. Conner is the main reason I have made it this far as my team is not really that good. Drafted him in the 10th round. Traded Keenan Allen for Cooper Kupp early on which isn't doing good for me now. Traded Austin Hooper for Breida. Picked up Kittle and Philip Lindsay from waivers. Also Ridley played him the 3 first games he went off. Hopkins/Conner is my main pieces. Hoping to end up 1st/2nd to get a playoff bye. Than just hope to get lucky during playoffs.

3 hours ago, League_Champion said:
2 hours ago, NYpkBLUE22 said:

100%. I’m in 3 leagues and it’s clear that the 1 ‘non competitive’ one leaves a lot of room for iffy decisions and outcomes. Both good and bad. The league I mentioned above is a competitive league and it’s difficult to pull ahead usually.

Also I appreciate the input guys! I enjoy reading about other people’s seasons

Absolutely

Yup, play in a BoTH league if you want a challenge. They are brutal! 

Edited by Shaft

16 hours ago, League_Champion said:

Buy low, sell high until you get the roster you want. For example, Leonard Fournette. Every Fournette owner in my leagues didn't have the patience to deal with his injury. After 2 weeks they lost patience and couldn't wait to unload him. I picked him up in several leagues for beans and at no risk whatsoever. And it goes the other way as well. Someone has one good game and everyone is all over them. It's much like the stock market. You have to know when to buy & sell. My rosters look nothing they did on draft night. 

I did this very thing with the Dalvin Cook owner in my league. I had Latavius, so I was in a unique situation. I am 6-4 now and in decent shape to make the playoffs, but I started 1-2 before rattling off 4 straight wins. I made the below trade, and the guy I traded with was winless at the time.

I traded Lamar Miller / Jordan Reed / Dede Westbrook for Dalvin Cook and Josh Gordon (did this in week 4).

I also was aggressive in grabbing guys off the wire that should have never been dropped in the first place. For instance, the O.J. Howard owner dropped him after his MCL injury. I spent the FAAB I needed to spend to get him. I also got Ryan Fitzpatrick after his owner dropped him for Jameis when he cam back from suspension. I drafted Rivers, so having a boom or bust backup is nice - I can decide to play Fitz when I know I need a shot at a 400-4 type game, as Rivers is a steady Eddie but doesn't have the volume opportunity to ever blow up. The terrible Bucs' D always keeps the passing game at the forefront there. Those two moves won me 2 games over the middle weeks.

I have also stayed patient with Aaron Jones and Corey Davis on my bench, and I got aggressive this past week to land Rashaad Penny who has league winner potential at the end of the year. I'm also patiently sitting on Kenyan Drake.

To me, some of what keeps you afloat is also making sure you don't mortgage your future completely to win now unless you absolutely have to win out to get in. I also think it's important during the middle weeks to make sure you have good bye week plans - don't wait until your heavy bye weeks hit to decide how to manage. Make some moves in advance because the best streaming options aren't guaranteed to be there when you pick (or the FAAB cost becomes much higher if you wait).

13 hours ago, kdko said:

Went WR-WR-WR at the #6 pick in a 12 man PPR, and have steam rolled with AB/Adams/Hill.  Started off the year with Collins/Breida as my 2 RB's, but luckily had stashed Kerryon and Chubb.  Got Goff and OJ/Hooper on waivers, and Lutz after their bye week.  Also drafted the Bears D/ST.  Sitting at 8-2 right now :) 

Wow getting Goff off waivers was great, curious what week was that, how many QBs rostered at that time? 

I thought he was pretty highly ranked entering the fantasy draft and would at least be a backup on some team, even in a 10 team league. 

38 minutes ago, stevegrab said:

Wow getting Goff off waivers was great, curious what week was that, how many QBs rostered at that time? 

I thought he was pretty highly ranked entering the fantasy draft and would at least be a backup on some team, even in a 10 team league. 

Week 2,  after 2 shaky weeks with Watson whom I drafted.. I think he was in ranked in the ~15 or so range, and we only have 5 bench spots so people don't carry a lot of 2nd QB's early on.

• Like 1

It is very rewarding to draft poorly or have bad luck and still squeak into the playoffs.  Usually a team like that doesn't win it all.  But it feels like an accomplishment to just make it into the playoffs from hard work and tenaciousness during the season.  But I wouldn't know the feeling because I always draft well. :woot: 

• Haha 1

16 team dynasty league, I'm 4th in the league in points by less than a point, yet I'm 5-5, 3rd in my division of 4 and currently outside the playoffs. I'll likely need to win the next two games in order to make it. This week I play the 3rd highest scoring team, our division leader, and next week I play my main wild card competition with Mahomes on bye. What's this "floating" bs you speak of? It's been a slow drown for me all season long. 

Edited by rajncajn

1 hour ago, MTSuper7 said:

I did this very thing with the Dalvin Cook owner in my league. I had Latavius, so I was in a unique situation. I am 6-4 now and in decent shape to make the playoffs, but I started 1-2 before rattling off 4 straight wins. I made the below trade, and the guy I traded with was winless at the time.

I traded Lamar Miller / Jordan Reed / Dede Westbrook for Dalvin Cook and Josh Gordon (did this in week 4).

I also was aggressive in grabbing guys off the wire that should have never been dropped in the first place. For instance, the O.J. Howard owner dropped him after his MCL injury. I spent the FAAB I needed to spend to get him. I also got Ryan Fitzpatrick after his owner dropped him for Jameis when he cam back from suspension. I drafted Rivers, so having a boom or bust backup is nice - I can decide to play Fitz when I know I need a shot at a 400-4 type game, as Rivers is a steady Eddie but doesn't have the volume opportunity to ever blow up. The terrible Bucs' D always keeps the passing game at the forefront there. Those two moves won me 2 games over the middle weeks.

I have also stayed patient with Aaron Jones and Corey Davis on my bench, and I got aggressive this past week to land Rashaad Penny who has league winner potential at the end of the year. I'm also patiently sitting on Kenyan Drake.

To me, some of what keeps you afloat is also making sure you don't mortgage your future completely to win now unless you absolutely have to win out to get in. I also think it's important during the middle weeks to make sure you have good bye week plans - don't wait until your heavy bye weeks hit to decide how to manage. Make some moves in advance because the best streaming options aren't guaranteed to be there when you pick (or the FAAB cost becomes much higher if you wait).

That's good work out of you. And that's exactly what you have to do. Take advantage of injuries, suspensions, etc. Everyone panics when someone has a bad week. That's when you pounce. I just grabbed AJ Green for Jordan Howard in one league. Even if theres a chance he doesn't play the reward far outweighs the risk. If he does come back I have a top5 WR for the stretch run.

23 minutes ago, League_Champion said:

That's good work out of you. And that's exactly what you have to do. Take advantage of injuries, suspensions, etc. Everyone panics when someone has a bad week. That's when you pounce. I just grabbed AJ Green for Jordan Howard in one league. Even if theres a chance he doesn't play the reward far outweighs the risk. If he does come back I have a top5 WR for the stretch run.

Yeah, as long as you have enough depth to absorb losing Howard, that move is a no-brainer. News on AJ Green hasn't been great, but all you really need is a 100% healthy return by Week 14. The one problem I could see is the Bengals rushing him back while they are still fighting for a playoff spot, then he aggravates his injury and eventually gets shut down for the year. Still, you're only losing Jordan Howard here...

54 minutes ago, MTSuper7 said:

Yeah, as long as you have enough depth to absorb losing Howard, that move is a no-brainer. News on AJ Green hasn't been great, but all you really need is a 100% healthy return by Week 14. The one problem I could see is the Bengals rushing him back while they are still fighting for a playoff spot, then he aggravates his injury and eventually gets shut down for the year. Still, you're only losing Jordan Howard here...

I'm really strong at RB in that particular league. I actually picked him up as a free agent a few weeks ago when someone released him. So it's really a no lose proposition. 

18 hours ago, kdko said:

thats a job well done

in that thread where the guy said he was quitting ff in which he complained about RB talent(which was stupid since theres a whole round of viable rb1's this year) i said theres more than one way to skin a cat...even near the end of the 1st you could have had thomas/adams....and them maybe thielen or hill or something else like ertiz/kelce.....and then filled in around that......looks like you did a good job of that kind  of strategy....