[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Questionable trade?

hezagenius

Normally I tend to give trades the benefit of the doubt.  Maybe a manager is really high on a player and they overpay.  I get it.  I've been there, too.  But then sometimes you see a trade that just doesn't pass the smell test.  Is there any way to spin this one as a fair trade?

Team A (6-4, 4th place) gets McCaffrey (#8 RB)

Team B (2-8, 12th place) gets Golladay (#23 WR) and Rudolph (#11 TE)

3 weeks left in the regular season.  Top 4 teams make the playoffs.  Team A is in the hunt, Team B is out of the playoffs.

Team A probably threw this over to Team B to see if they'd bite, and they did, so nothing really wrong with the trade unless you can prove collusion.  You might want to put a rule in place for next season where teams mathematically eliminated from the playoffs are no longer allowed to trade, but besides all that I don't see how you can argue with this.

Redraft league?  If keeper/dynasty you always have to look at the rosters and future.

As for a rule to stop teams from trading once out of the playoffs, that could be done but can be tricky. Because it would have to be applied only to teams mathematically eliminated, not teams that people think don't have a real chance.

Just as example, our trade deadline is this week, Friday I think. I'm 3-7, and the only team that appears to be out of the playoffs, everybody else has a shot (several 4-6 teams only trail their division leader by 1 game). I'm making a trade today, adding value to my team for the future mostly, trading TE Olsen for WR Josh Reynolds and a 10th round pick. We are a keeper league, and I'd hate to be prevented from making moves for long term just because I'm mathematically out of the playoffs. 

But then you'd almost never see a stud RB traded in a keeper league.

I agree with Opie. As soon as a team is mathematically eliminated from playoff contention, they are not allowed to trade players. Our regular season is the first 13 weeks, so we generally use 7 losses as the threshold. The only time we wouldn't would be if the 7 loss team is near the top of the league in points scored and, thus, has a theoretical chance of winning a tie break if the last seeded team also ends up 6-7. But generally, it's that 7th loss the removes a team from trade talks. Nothing you can do about it this season. I encourage you to not try to veto - generally let teams manage the way they want. You can shore up league integrity by putting in the aforementioned rule.

Earlier this year, we saw McCaffrey for Calvin Ridley happen. We all shook our heads, but we didn't cry foul. Instead, we cried to ourselves that we wished we would have been the ones who exploited that owner's low opinion about McCaffrey (this was maybe 3 weeks into the season). The Ridley owner did a masterful job of selling high to a team with an RB overspill but desperate at WR.

• Thanks 1