[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Chiefs-Rams Game Thread

Rileyrott

The closest comparison I can think of is watching two basketball teams that can't stop each other on defense unless they press.  In the half court, it's layups, dunks, and threes.  But, both sides are converting on the occasional turnover.  It's either going to come down to whoever gets the final big play on defense, or which offense has the ball last.  

It's like watching Michigan vs Loyola Marymount in 1990.  

I think either one certainly could, but both conferences have at least one team that is equally as likely, IMO.  The Rams will not be NFC favorites as long as they have to go through New Orleans.  And, in the AFC, I think New England is always in the conversation, and maybe Pittsburgh as well.  

No matter what, it's going to be fun to watch.  I can not recall a season in which it seems like all of the best teams are playing each other in the regular season.  

7 hours ago, Gopher said:

I think either one certainly could, but both conferences have at least one team that is equally as likely, IMO.  The Rams will not be NFC favorites as long as they have to go through New Orleans.  And, in the AFC, I think New England is always in the conversation, and maybe Pittsburgh as well.  

No matter what, it's going to be fun to watch.  I can not recall a season in which it seems like all of the best teams are playing each other in the regular season.  

New England has a much different feel about them this year. Something is off BUT if they get home field for the AFC title game, I fear we'll have to stomach yet another Pats super bowl appearance. 

1 minute ago, Gourdeau said:

New England has a much different feel about them this year. Something is off BUT if they get home field for the AFC title game, I fear we'll have to stomach yet another Pats super bowl appearance. 

I just don't see it with NE this year.  KC and Pitt look much better to me.  Chargers even look better.  I know NE beat KC but NE had to play an almost perfect game to pull it off.

48 minutes ago, NAUgrad said:

I just don't see it with NE this year.  KC and Pitt look much better to me.  Chargers even look better.  I know NE beat KC but NE had to play an almost perfect game to pull it off.

I'm liking the Chargers a lot in that matchup and as high powered as KC looks I see a Charges vs Steelers AFC championship. Both teams are much better balanced than KC. You can never count out NE, but I agree, they just don't have it together this year.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Gourdeau said:

I agree.  But, I think a lot of us (myself included) have been wrong about them before.  In other words, there have been times where they've felt "off" before, and turned it around. The list of things wrong with NE in past seasons is long.... Slow starts, Brady not having enough weapons, no defense, etc.  So, bottom line, I'll believe that they're no longer a contender when I see it, and as of right now, I'm not willing to completely count them out.  As long as they're still playing, they have as good of a shot as anybody, IMO.

That said, if NE has to travel to KC in the post-season, I would lean towards picking the Chiefs in that game, assuming both teams have all/most of their key pieces in play.  I say "lean" because I don't think it would be a no-brainer.  I'd give them the slight nod at home.  On the other hand, if Brady were to lead his team to victory on the road in that type of atmosphere, at the age of 41, I think it would go down as one of the great non-SB accomplishments of his career.

I'm getting ahead of myself a little bit.  Still a lot of football to be played in the next six weeks plus.  

2 minutes ago, Gopher said:

I agree.  But, I think a lot of us (myself included) have been wrong about them before.  In other words, there have been times where they've felt "off" before, and turned it around. The list of things wrong with NE in past seasons is long.... Slow starts, Brady not having enough weapons, no defense, etc.  So, bottom line, I'll believe that they're no longer a contender when I see it, and as of right now, I'm not willing to completely count them out.  As long as they're still playing, they have as good of a shot as anybody, IMO.

That said, if NE has to travel to KC in the post-season, I would lean towards picking the Chiefs in that game, assuming both teams have all/most of their key pieces in play.  I say "lean" because I don't think it would be a no-brainer.  I'd give them the slight nod at home.  On the other hand, if Brady were to lead his team to victory on the road in that type of atmosphere, at the age of 41, I think it would go down as one of the great non-SB accomplishments of his career.

I'm getting ahead of myself a little bit.  Still a lot of football to be played in the next six weeks plus.  

Yeah I agree with what your saying, but I just don't see NE having the weapons they have in the past.  D is average but improving and now some on offense are banged up. I just think other teams are really starting to step up.  I'm also tired of NE so there's a little bias on my part.

2 minutes ago, NAUgrad said:

Yeah I agree with what your saying, but I just don't see NE having the weapons they have in the past.  D is average but improving and now some on offense are banged up. I just think other teams are really starting to step up.  I'm also tired of NE so there's a little bias on my part.

In general terms, I agree with you.  But, I'm just not willing to believe it until I see it.  I'm not a NE fan, nor am I a NE hater.  I respect the hell out of teams that are true dynasties because, in this day and age, they are becoming fewer and far between in sports as a whole.  

I would need more than one hand to count the number of times people have said that NE was done.  And, yeah, if we say that NE is over the hill long enough, sooner or later it will become true.  Because, let's face it, nobody can defeat father time.  

As for weapons on offense, I personally think they have more weapons right now than they've had in some of their most successful seasons.  And I'm not even counting on Gronk being a part of that equation.  If Sony Michel gets healthy, that's huge for them.  Burkhead is back (I think).  At WR, they're solid.  They've gone from Hogan being one of Brady's go-to guys, to him being mostly a non-factor because of the depth at the position.  

I do wonder if the defense has enough fire power, but again, it's been said (many times) before.  I'm not willing to make that mistake (count them out because of their defense) again.  

36 minutes ago, rajncajn said:

It was arena ball. 

yeah I hope that's not the future of the NFL. Sad thing is most people seem to love it. I'm not that old to be called old-fashioned but... 

Give me a run game and a defense any time. The rules skewing to passing is really getting out of hand. 

• Thanks 1