[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Choosing my playoff matchup?

RLochridge

So I have the #1 playoff seed locked and I am playing the 5th ranked team this week I'm projected to beat him but I could pull my players and take the loss. If I do this I would knock the #2 seed out of the playoffs which start next week. The #2 seed is going to lose this week and drop to the #4 seed if I win. How do ya'll feel about taking a loss to choose your playoff matchup? Should I pull my players to lose so I can play a weaker team in the playoffs?

I made the same post at the beginning of the season, everyone said the same thing in that topic. I said I would come back and say what I did during playoffs. Am now in first and considering my options.

• Thanks 1

It is strategy and there is nothing in the rule book that says you can't do it. Ive seen guys pull players if they are ahead to avoid negative points. NFL teams do it to change playoff seeds and get a more favorable matchup. And who is to say the guy wouldn't do it to me if he had a chance? I wouldn't be mad because it is strategy. Dude has been talking crap all season. 

1 minute ago, LordOpie said:

lol, no such thing as FF karma.

Why?

If you are ... enough to think you know how the players on either team you may be playing against next week then go for it.  Doesn't seem like a very good idea to me but I don't have a crystal ball that tells me the outcome if all the games next week.

Play your best lineup and let the chips fall where they may.  All it takes many weeks is one guy to break a long TD to change the outcome of a FF game.

Maybe I should have called it a rookie move and not a bush league move.

You always play your best lineup and hope to beat your opponent into submission. That's what is all about. 

I've never tanked to better my opportunities. You ALWAYS play your best lineup. If your team is so good that

you are going to be the #1 seed you shouldn't worry about screwing some other team. 

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, LordOpie said:

and also follow up with the results

I'm in 1st at the moment. If I win this week I'll be locked for the #1 spot guaranteeing a playoff bye. Right now the projections are 50/50 on me winning this week. If I do lose this week, I could possibly not get a 1st or 2nd place playoff bye. In that scenario I will weight my options on possibly losing week 13 for a certain playoff position if I can theoretically correctly pick other teams playoff positions for a weaker opponent. Main goal is to get a playoff bye and not worry about it. Will evaluate after Hopkins plays tomorrow deciding if I win/lose this week.

• Thanks 1

17 hours ago, RLochridge said:

It is a money league and I never did it and I'm the commissioner 

If you are the commissioner you should not even be considering doing it, or asking others to give you the OK to do it,

Also a very confusing post, in one sentence you say that you could knock #2 team out of the playoffs, then say they'd move from #2 to #4 seed. Or are there only 2 playoff teams? (If so why start in week 13).  And how do you know they are going to lose this upcoming week, win/loss in fantasy football is no more certain than real football. 

Either way bush league BS. 

16 hours ago, skylive5 said:

You always play your best lineup and hope to beat your opponent into submission. That's what is all about. 

I've never tanked to better my opportunities. You ALWAYS play your best lineup. If your team is so good that

you are going to be the #1 seed you shouldn't worry about screwing some other team. 

I'm 3-7 nothing to play for but first pick in next year's draft. Wednesday night after driving all day to get to my brother's in TN I was checking fantasy info and made sure to make a substitution for Trubisky who was out.  Early yesterday over breakfast after returning home the night before and ODing on leftover Turkey Day NFL games I was checking and saw that Devin Funchess was out and made a move to replace him. Without much on the line I could just ignore my team, let those zeroes remain in my lineup and say who cares. But if I could have beaten my opponent and affected the playoffs, I'd feel bad that I didn't make the effort.

Even if I were not the commissioner I'd do that. 

16 hours ago, Ramhock said:

Most $ leagues have a prize for HGOW.  Not yours?

Our league added one many years ago to help prevent any sort of late season tanking for any reason. Its $26/week (each team kicks in $2/week).  This week one of the worst teams had a monster game, and will take the prize, they were eliminated from playoff contention, and a game behind last place but they still had used their best line-up, not their worst.

21 hours ago, stevegrab said:

If you are the commissioner you should not even be considering doing it, or asking others to give you the OK to do it,

Also a very confusing post, in one sentence you say that you could knock #2 team out of the playoffs, then say they'd move from #2 to #4 seed. Or are there only 2 playoff teams? (If so why start in week 13).  And how do you know they are going to lose this upcoming week, win/loss in fantasy football is no more certain than real football. 

Either way bush league BS. 

I don't see what is confusing about the post. Our playoffs start week 13 and it is a 4 team playoff. I was playing the current 5th ranked team this week. If I won, the 2 seed would have dropped to the 4 seed and if I took the loss he would have been 5 seed and knocked out of the playoffs. I knew this because the current 3 and 4 were winning by a mile and I knew the tiebreaker scenarios. I decided not to pull my players and will be facing the guy that dropped from 2 seed to 4 in the first round of the playoffs. He is definitely the stronger team over the 5 seed that I could have played. I was never really considering it because I always play for the win. I just wanted an outside opinion because I've never been in a situation where I could actually without any doubt choose my playoff matchup. It is a money league and there is nothing in the rules about it so who's to say they wouldn't have done the same to me.

All I know is that I tried that one year and it backfired horrendously. Didn't want to play the Brady/Moss team that year, and lo and behold that team scored its lowest output of the year first week of playoffs, and would have easily won. Needless to say, I played a team who scored the highest output of their season in 1st week of playoffs and got bounced. Never again...I will always put in my best lineup and let the chips fall where they may in playoff seedings. 

• Thanks 1

On 11/27/2018 at 7:00 AM, RLochridge said:

I don't see what is confusing about the post. Our playoffs start week 13 and it is a 4 team playoff. I was playing the current 5th ranked team this week. If I won, the 2 seed would have dropped to the 4 seed and if I took the loss he would have been 5 seed and knocked out of the playoffs. I knew this because the current 3 and 4 were winning by a mile and I knew the tiebreaker scenarios. I decided not to pull my players and will be facing the guy that dropped from 2 seed to 4 in the first round of the playoffs. He is definitely the stronger team over the 5 seed that I could have played. I was never really considering it because I always play for the win. I just wanted an outside opinion because I've never been in a situation where I could actually without any doubt choose my playoff matchup. It is a money league and there is nothing in the rules about it so who's to say they wouldn't have done the same to me.

Ya ok 👌🏻Never really considering yet you posted a thread asking about doing it. I’d say that’s the definition of considering it but whatever makes you feel better 😂

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, heehawks said:

All I know is that I tried that one year and it backfired horrendously. Didn't want to play the Brady/Moss team that year, and lo and behold that team scored its lowest output of the year first week of playoffs, and would have easily won. Needless to say, I played a team who scored the highest output of their season in 1st week of playoffs and got bounced. Never again...I will always put in my best lineup and let the chips fall where they may in playoff seedings. 

And this ^