LordOpie

what does Philip Lindsay have to do to be OROY?

He's got significantly better rushing numbers than Saquon, but Saquon's receiving is much higher. Can either displace a rookie QB having a good year?

1 hour ago, LordOpie said:

He's got significantly better rushing numbers than Saquon

No he doesn't.  Credit to Mayfield for a great year, he should be a close #2 but still #2. 

13 minutes ago, BeeR said:

No he doesn't.  

Does average yards per carry hold no value?

Nothing, its Barkley's to lose, and then I'm biased but agree Mayfield is #2.   

Barkley could have 1000 yards rushing and receiving, that is so far ahead of Lindsey. 

If Nick Chubb got more work earlier in the season he could have numbers similar to Lindsey, but still way behind Barkley. 

1. Barkley

2. Lindsay

3. Mayfield 

4. Calvin Ridley

5. Chubb

I think if the Broncos make the playoffs, Lindsay has a shot to win OROY. Barkley and Mayfield both play on teams going nowhere this year. I don't think he'll win regardless, but he has zero chance without Denver making the playoffs, as that would be a unique resume builder.

He has been fun to watch this year!

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Shaft said:

1. Barkley

2. Lindsay

3. Mayfield 

4. Calvin Ridley

5. Chubb

wow! You have him at #2!

I totally confess a bias to Lindsay, so it's nice to see that others outside of Denver like him too. He's such a great story, at least from a greater Denver perspective because he played HS football not far from me, then stayed home to play college ball and is now playing for his childhood team. Also, he seems like a genuinely decent guy.

14 minutes ago, LordOpie said:

wow! You have him at #2!

I totally confess a bias to Lindsay, so it's nice to see that others outside of Denver like him too. He's such a great story, at least from a greater Denver perspective because he played HS football not far from me, then stayed home to play college ball and is now playing for his childhood team. Also, he seems like a genuinely decent guy.

He's having a Jamaal Charles type of season. I think the element of surprise (i.e., undrafted) works in his favor also. 

Gonna say it's Mayfield right now.  Barkley is a rare talent, but he's still an RB and a lot of RB's have had meaningful seasons in the NFL.  Mayfield has completely turned around a franchise, and some of these L's could have been W's, and those weren't even on him.  If he doesn't get it, Barkley for sure.

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, MTSuper7 said:

I think if the Broncos make the playoffs, Lindsay has a shot to win OROY. Barkley and Mayfield both play on teams going nowhere this year. I don't think he'll win regardless, but he has zero chance without Denver making the playoffs, as that would be a unique resume builder.

He has been fun to watch this year!

Has reaching the playoffs played a roll in OROY voting in the past?  Truly curious. 

It will be Baker Mayfield due to two reasons: QB's in general tend to be the favorites for these types of awards and secondly the Browns had exactly 1 win over the course of 2 seasons before Baker showed up. Even at their current 4-7-1 that is a huge improvement for the team....and the QB generally is the one credited or blamed for a teams success or failure. Saquan I think will be the runner up if for no other reason than east coast market garners way more publicity and hype. Personally I would go Baker, Saquon, Lindsay if I had to vote today.

Edited by seadogs

2 hours ago, stevegrab said:

Has reaching the playoffs played a roll in OROY voting in the past?  Truly curious. 

Just going back to 2010

2010 - Sam Bradford - 7-9 (No Playoffs) 

2011 - Cam Newton - 6-10 (No Playoffs) - ProBowl

2012 - RGIII - 10-6 (Playoffs) - ProBowl

2013 - Eddie Lacy - 8-7-1 (Playoffs) - ProBowl

2014 - Odell Beckham - 6-10 (No Playoffs) - ProBowl

2015 - Todd Gurley - 7-9 (No Playoffs) - ProBowl

2016 - Dak Prescott - 13-3 (Playoffs) - ProBowl

2017 - Alvin Kamara - 11-5 (Playoffs) - ProBowl

So of the last 8 OROY winners 4 made the playoffs and 4 did not, seems like for the most part that is not much of a deciding factor. Looks like more likely is they win OROY and they make the ProBowl since Bradford is the only one that did not make the ProBowl of the last 8.

11 minutes ago, blaw23 said:

Just going back to 2010

2010 - Sam Bradford - 7-9 (No Playoffs) 

2011 - Cam Newton - 6-10 (No Playoffs) - ProBowl

2012 - RGIII - 10-6 (Playoffs) - ProBowl

2013 - Eddie Lacy - 8-7-1 (Playoffs) - ProBowl

2014 - Odell Beckham - 6-10 (No Playoffs) - ProBowl

2015 - Todd Gurley - 7-9 (No Playoffs) - ProBowl

2016 - Dak Prescott - 13-3 (Playoffs) - ProBowl

2017 - Alvin Kamara - 11-5 (Playoffs) - ProBowl

So of the last 8 OROY winners 4 made the playoffs and 4 did not, seems like for the most part that is not much of a deciding factor. Looks like more likely is they win OROY and they make the ProBowl since Bradford is the only one that did not make the ProBowl of the last 8.

2010 must of been a down year, I don't remember Sam ever being any good.   :unsure:

4 minutes ago, Def. said:

2010 must of been a down year, I don't remember Sam ever being any good.   :unsure:

Agreed, I was curious about that so I decided to look at his numbers 60% completion pct. 3512 yards 18TD and 15Int. So yea must have been a down year for rookies on offense.

Mayfield being most important to his team doesn't equal OROY to me. It just means to me that QB's are more important.  Mayfield is a middle of the pack QB right now, but Saquon is top 2-4 at his position.  Mayfield wouldn't be nearly as critical if his team had a decent QB before him.  

Also amazing to me that Eddie Lacy managed to eat himself out of the league in a few years.  I know he had an ankle injury too, but one suspects that wasn't helped by the weight 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, purplemonster said:

Mayfield being most important to his team doesn't equal OROY to me. It just means to me that QB's are more important.

Exactly.  It's clearly Barkley's to lose.  And keep in mind the offense he's got around him to boot, with teams keying on him every game.

I think you guys are nuts. Barkley is getting that award unless mayfield goes nuts and the Browns win out

5 hours ago, purplemonster said:

Mayfield wouldn't be nearly as critical if his team had a decent QB before him. 

(Player Name) wouldn’t be nearly as critical if (Players Team) had a decent (Player Position) before him.  

It is Barkley’s to lose

That being said, it’s Mayfield’s if:

- Browns finish 7-8-1 or better

- 3600+ yards (2639)

- 25+ TDs (18)

- 14- INTs (10)

- ~67% Completion % (64%)

That would put Mayfield in the argument for top 5 season by a rookie QB all time

Edited by jamesplante11

5 minutes ago, jamesplante11 said:

(Player Name) wouldn’t be nearly as critical if (Players Team) had a decent (Player Position) before him.  

It is Barkley’s to lose

- 3600+ yards (2639)

- 25+ TDs (18)

- 14- INTs (10)

That would put Mayfield in the argument for top 5 season by a rookie QB all time

Yes and no. A QB is different than other players. Having decent QB play is absolutely critical whereas it's not nearly as critical for other positions

Thank you, someone else gets it isn't all about stats.

18 minutes ago, BeeR said:

Thank you, someone else gets it isn't all about stats.

Stats aside, watch a Browns game with Taylor as the QB. Then watch a game after Week 9 when Hue/Haley were no longer there and Mayfield was finally allowed to check out of a bad play call. 

Mayfield is without question the most important player on that football team and the unquestioned leader of that offense. 

I do still think its Barkley’s award. I just don’t think it’s a landslide at the moment. Mayfield has also won 3 Rookie of the week honors and rookie of the month in November. 

Our friends in Vegas have the odds at 

54DB1163-3433-46F9-BC8F-9C2D166B48A3.jpeg

Edited by jamesplante11

13 hours ago, jamesplante11 said:

It is Barkley’s to lose

- 3600+ yards (2639)

- 25+ TDs (18)

- 14- INTs (10)

That would be an impressive final 4 games, I think going 3-1 is hard (only easy win may be CIN, and I expect a loss in DEN, plus BAL in week 17 if they're contending for playoffs). 7 more TDs and 4 picks or less. Raising the completion percentage almost 4 points (currently 224/354 for 63.3%) would mean a pretty insane pace. He's averaging about 35 throws per game, so 140 more in 4 games, a total near 500 by season end, meaning he'd need to go about 110/140 (78%) to reach that mark (335/500).