[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

High Stakes League?

captain77

Those are leagues like FFPC or NFFC.  Those are "tournament" style leagues where one plays in a standard league (there is several of them) and the top performers at the end of the regular season play against each other for most points.  Entry fees are $1000 to $2000 and the winner gets 6 figures with smaller prizes for the runner-ups and league winners.

I think i got this straight.

Right.

There the live draft ones that usually cost $1500 - $2000 with the Champ getting $250K and then maybe next 100 or so get something. They usually have 1200 to 1600 teams as I recall, arrayed in leagues of 12 that crowns the league champ usually Week 12 or 13. Final four weeks are all the top teams from each league vying for the top prize.

There are also online ones that entry fee may be $250 or $300 for the same $250K but with thousands of people participating.

To be fair, most of the posts that I see where people say this is a high stakes league is still people talking about their local $50 buyin league.

But I agree when I think of high stakes, I would qualify it as the large buy-in tourney style leagues that Big John and DMD described, as there are some slight tweaks to strategy in those, in particular those with playoff formats like FFPC where the playoff spots are not just determined by record, but some spots are determined strictly on points scored regardless of record.

I think it depends on the individual. 

For example, most of my leagues have a buy-in of $100-$150.  I used to be in one that had a buy-in of $300.  I used to refer this as my high-stakes league.  Granted, I know to a lot of people $300 isn't high-stakes, but because it had the highest buy-in of all my leagues, to me it was.

A guy who makes $8 an hour might refer to a league with $100 as high-stakes, but a guy who makes $400k a year might look at a league with a $500 buy-in as a nothing league.

It's all relative.

4 minutes ago, purplemonster said:

To each his own but I think I would actually enjoy it less if I was playing for more money

Again, to each his own but for me this is totally true.  I play in a few leagues (where the entry fees are all around $100.  The way it works out, if I win the championship in any of the leagues I basically break out even for the year.  If I win both, or win my division, high points, weekly high points, etc, that's profit.

I play mostly for fun, so if I break out even for the year I'm thrilled.  Any profit I make is just a bonus.

For a few years, my friends talked me into playing in a $350 league.  Now if I won that league, I won a couple thousand.  If I won my other leagues, but lost in that one, I ended up in the negative for the year.

That league was no fun for me.  I ended up stressing over all the games and even the years I made the championship I didn't enjoy it because I was so stressed that week because so much money was riding on it.

I dropped out of it and never looked back.

I know people's opinion of a "large" buy in varies from the next but I assumed the term "high stakes" didn't fall in that category.  I assumed "high stakes" meant something specific not dependent on one's income.

I don't even want to open up the can of worms as to how many leagues people play in and breaking even due to multiple leagues.  That is a whole different animal...

Thanks for all the responses!

Been playing fantasy football for nearly 30 years...and high stakes usually meant $500 or more buy-in regardless of how much money one makes in a year, but that is just my experience. Needless to say, haven't had the pleasure (or funds) to buy into a high stakes league. 

Edited by heehawks

14 hours ago, captain77 said:

I know people's opinion of a "large" buy in varies from the next but I assumed the term "high stakes" didn't fall in that category.  I assumed "high stakes" meant something specific not dependent on one's income.

I don't even want to open up the can of worms as to how many leagues people play in and breaking even due to multiple leagues.  That is a whole different animal...

Thanks for all the responses!

All depends on your point of view and why you are wondering.

Like, I know my $300 league wasn't a high stakes league, but to me it was, I managed it differently.  I didn't take as many risks.

So if you asked me if I was in a high-stakes league I would say no.  But if I was asking for advice about this league, I told people this was my high-stakes league, hoping they would be more careful giving me advice.

2 hours ago, char92474 said:

All depends on your point of view and why you are wondering.

Like, I know my $300 league wasn't a high stakes league, but to me it was, I managed it differently.  I didn't take as many risks.

So if you asked me if I was in a high-stakes league I would say no.  But if I was asking for advice about this league, I told people this was my high-stakes league, hoping they would be more careful giving me advice.

I doubt many people are putting that much effort into their free advice.

11 minutes ago, stevegrab said:

I doubt many people are putting that much effort into their free advice.

I guess I have a better group of fantasy football friends than you do.  Because we go all out to beat one another in the leagues we are in together, but are really good at giving advice and helping each other in the league where we aren't

1 hour ago, char92474 said:

I guess I have a better group of fantasy football friends than you do.  Because we go all out to beat one another in the leagues we are in together, but are really good at giving advice and helping each other in the league where we aren't

Well since you're posting on this forum I assumed you were talking about advice being given here, by random joes who don't know you. 

37 minutes ago, stevegrab said:

Well since you're posting on this forum I assumed you were talking about advice being given here, by random joes who don't know you. 

Ok, I see why you were saying that now.  I meant personally among my friends.

Correct, on here random joes could care less.

I guess i am not sure I would play any differently in a high stakes league vs any other type league.  I guess I am not sure because I have never played in one, and can't say if I'd do things differently.  But I make the best decisions I can, play to win, and I don't know if that's any different regardless of the stakes.  

4 hours ago, purplemonster said:

I guess i am not sure I would play any differently in a high stakes league vs any other type league.  I guess I am not sure because I have never played in one, and can't say if I'd do things differently.  But I make the best decisions I can, play to win, and I don't know if that's any different regardless of the stakes.  

I tend to be more cautious in my "higher-stakes" league.  The higher the money involved, the more stressed out I become, so I take less risk.

Let me put it this way.  In my regular league I waited at QB and took Luck and was fine with that decision.  If I was a "high-stakes" league, I would have taken a different QB and not taken the health risk with Luck

• Like 1

FFPC uses an 11 week regular season before a league playoff for weeks 12 and 13.  wins become more paramount. I am much more conservative with lineup decisions and it has had very positive results over the past 5 seasons (4 of 5 reached playoffs and entry into main event).