[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Vikings can OC John DeFilippo

DMD

16 minutes ago, DMD said:

Of course, that $84 million QB might have been part of the problem too

Of course the QB is part of the problem, maybe he should audible out of some of the horrible play calls from flip, like some bizarre long pass play on 3rd and 1 after converting a short yardage play down earlier in that drive with a simple QB sneak. There was some lame RPO play near the goal line where Cook and Cousins bumped into each other, then Cook tried to run through the center of line into the EZ and gets stuffed. Poor execution, but probably a poor call as well. 

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, stevegrab said:

Of course the QB is part of the problem, maybe he should audible out of some of the horrible play calls from flip, like some bizarre long pass play on 3rd and 1 after converting a short yardage play down earlier in that drive with a simple QB sneak. There was some lame RPO play near the goal line where Cook and Cousins bumped into each other, then Cook tried to run through the center of line into the EZ and gets stuffed. Poor execution, but probably a poor call as well. 

I texted my friend after the 3 and 1 I was so baffled.  Made zero sense. Go for a long developing 5 step pass play on 3rd and less than a yard?  Wtf. Last week we had a 4 yard pass on a critical 4th and 12.  

8 minutes ago, purplemonster said:

I texted my friend after the 3 and 1 I was so baffled.  Made zero sense. Go for a long developing 5 step pass play on 3rd and less than a yard?  Wtf. Last week we had a 4 yard pass on a critical 4th and 12.  

I get sometimes on 3rd or 4th and long you have some underneath patterns, so you have some positive yardage and a chance to convert (instead of 5 guys in long patterns all covered). Just this weekend I saw one in a game, unlikely to convert but the RB caught a short pass got to edge and nearly did it. 

Seems to me too many of the OCs are trying to be fancy with their play calls, to look like geniuses or get hose big plays. 

you could see that Zimmer and Flip did not agree on play calling... and when Flip would run it almost was like he was caving in to Zimmer's wishes... neither guy was happy I think (again this is my opinion) but the main problem is the Oline and that is on our GM in my opinion (again). We just are getting crushed up front and QBs and OCs are not helping those guys out with better play and play calling... the disaster is more than Flip but hopefully the conflict is gone and they can finish this season better.

54 minutes ago, Vikings>Packers said:

Cook is so underutilized. Matthew Berry kept saying Free Aaron Jones before the Packers started using him correctly, and I feel like there needs to  be a Free Dalvin Cook movement. 

Problem is when he's used too much or incorrectly he tends to break.  He's been pretty brittle so far.   

2 hours ago, Vikings>Packers said:

Cook is so underutilized. Matthew Berry kept saying Free Aaron Jones before the Packers started using him correctly, and I feel like there needs to  be a Free Dalvin Cook movement. 

Browns were not utilizing rookie Nick Chubb enough, so GM John Dorsey traded lead RB Carlos Hyde, now its Chubb as lead back, Duke as COP/3rd down/relief  

We also saw some of the struggles between coaches (Hue Jackson and Todd Haley) and how that helped when the disagreeable people were removed. Hope it works out for the Vikings. 

2 hours ago, Gourdeau said:

Agree depending on field position and game situation 

And that wasn't it (Q3, 7:58 left, on MIN 39, down 6-0), and they punted on 4th down. And a few plays before, 9:59 mark, 3-n-1 at MIN 26, Cousins sneak got 4 yards. 

11 hours ago, michaelredd9 said:

I like the idea of a long pass on 3rd and 1.  You still have 4th down to convert the first down.

Except they didn't go for it on 4th Down. And they weren't in the position of the field to go for it on 4th Down. So we ended up punting and killing a key drive. I understand your point I don't mind a longer pass either on something like 2nd and two or second and 5 or 1st and 5 or whatever. But when you have half a yard to go that's not the time to get cute when you have to sustain drives and you aren't getting the ball very much. That's just a bad decision. 

Edited by purplemonster
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, purplemonster said:

Except they didn't go for it on 4th Down. And they weren't in the position of the field to go for it on 4th Down. So we ended up punting and killing a key drive. I understand your point I don't mind a longer pass either on something like 2nd and two or second and 5 or 1st and 5 or whatever. But when you have half a yard to go that's not the time to get cute when you have to sustain drives and you aren't getting the ball very much. That's just a bad decision. 

That is where the OC and the HC need to be on the same page.  The OC decided the 3rd down play but the head coach decides whether to go for it on 4th down.  The OC shouldn't have called that play if they weren't going for it on 4th down.  And I would have gone for it on 4th down regardless of field position.  The only time I wouldn't go for it on 4th and 1 is if my team had a 10+ point lead.  A punt is a turnover.  Not turning the ball over is far more important than the 32.56% chance of losing 40 yards of field position.

46 minutes ago, michaelredd9 said:

That is where the OC and the HC need to be on the same page.  The OC decided the 3rd down play but the head coach decides whether to go for it on 4th down.  The OC shouldn't have called that play if they weren't going for it on 4th down.  And I would have gone for it on 4th down regardless of field position.  The only time I wouldn't go for it on 4th and 1 is if my team had a 10+ point lead.  A punt is a turnover.  Not turning the ball over is far more important than the 32.56% chance of losing 40 yards of field position.

Right, I understand, but I don't think it's a good decision to go for 4th and 1 with 7 min left in the 3rd quarter.  You are gifting points if you don't make it.  

Did anyone see where Tom Brady did a quarterback sneak on 2nd and 1 with 8:48 left in the 4th quarterback last Sunday?  The ball was on the Miami 34 yard line and the Patriots trailed 27-28.  There are valid arguments on both sides what to do when it is 3rd or 4th down.  But I cannot fathom an argument to do a quarterback sneak in that situation.  The only explanation is that they thought it was 3rd down.

1 minute ago, purplemonster said:

I don't know why QB sneaks aren't used more frequently, I rarely see them not work.  What is the issue with Brady?  He's the best there is at sneaks.  You mean bc he might get injured?

He is amazing at them.  But it a play for 3rd down or 4th down, not 1st down or 2nd down.

2 hours ago, michaelredd9 said:

Did anyone see where Tom Brady did a quarterback sneak on 2nd and 1 with 8:48 left in the 4th quarterback last Sunday?  The ball was on the Miami 34 yard line and the Patriots trailed 27-28.  There are valid arguments on both sides what to do when it is 3rd or 4th down.  But I cannot fathom an argument to do a quarterback sneak in that situation.  The only explanation is that they thought it was 3rd down.

Haven't seen the game but should be watching it tonight, its on NFL Network sometime today and I set it to record. 

BB is an out of the box guy, maybe he just wanted to keep the offense rolling and knows that Brady is near unstoppable on a sneak, so get it done on 2nd down. I suppose it is possible they confused what play it was, but looking at the play-by-play they were getting first down on each play to start that possession, so this was the first time it got past 1st down. 

1 minute ago, Def. said:

Um, uh...ok?  :hscratch:

Cook had 19 carries, Murray 15 carries, What I meant is that you're right, he's brittle and they need to be careful and not pound him 30 times a game. Their running attack was on point overall yesterday. 

Just now, Gourdeau said:

Cook had 19 carries, Murray 15 carries, What I meant is that you're right, he's brittle and they need to be careful and not pound him 30 times a game. Their running attack was on point overall yesterday. 

Oh gotcha.  :tup: