[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Should Saquon be next year's #1 pick?

michaelredd9

20 minutes ago, michaelredd9 said:

Saquon has solidified himself as a top 3 pick at a minimum.  But should he be the #1 pick in redraft next year?

I usually see it as tiers at the top of the draft.  This year Bell/Gurley were in that top tier, then DJ/Zeke.  You could make an argument for either Bell or Gurley at 1st overall, then DJ or Zeke at 3rd.

Next year I think that top tier will be Gurley/Zeke/Barkley and you could pick any one of them 1st overall.   Personally, I'd rather have the 3rd pick, get whoever is left and pick sooner in the 2nd round.

5 minutes ago, char92474 said:

I usually see it as tiers at the top of the draft.  This year Bell/Gurley were in that top tier, then DJ/Zeke.  You could make an argument for either Bell or Gurley at 1st overall, then DJ or Zeke at 3rd.

Next year I think that top tier will be Gurley/Zeke/Barkley and you could pick any one of them 1st overall.   Personally, I'd rather have the 3rd pick, get whoever is left and pick sooner in the 2nd round.

As of today, I agree with this, but a lot can change between now and next year's drafts.

3 minutes ago, Big Country said:

As of today, I agree with this, but a lot can change between now and next year's drafts.

Right, I'm speaking as of now, but the only way I see this changing is one of those guys getting hurt and falling down the rankings.  They are so far ahead of everyone else I don't see how anyone could join that tier.

I don't trust Bell, regardless of where he signs.  I don't know how that year off will affect him.  Hunt might have joined them, but not now.  Kamara is close, but I'd but him at the top of the next tier.

2 minutes ago, char92474 said:

Right, I'm speaking as of now, but the only way I see this changing is one of those guys getting hurt and falling down the rankings.  They are so far ahead of everyone else I don't see how anyone could join that tier.

I don't trust Bell, regardless of where he signs.  I don't know how that year off will affect him.  Hunt might have joined them, but not now.  Kamara is close, but I'd but him at the top of the next tier.

No mention of McCaffrey?  He has been lights-out in PPR.

1 minute ago, darin3 said:

No mention of McCaffrey?  He has been lights-out in PPR.

I'd put McCaffery in that 2nd tier. 

The way I see it now, you have Barkley/Gurley/Zeke as the top 3.  Then you have McCaffery, Kamara, Gordon and maybe Bell (depending on where he signs) in the 2nd tier.  Then a pretty big drop off.  

So my point is my favorite draft spot would be the #3 spot  (where I could get whoever is left and have an earlier 2nd round pick), then #2, then #1 followed by #6 and working my way up.

Gurley or Barkley.  Barkley is the safest bet there is likely.  Young, not banged up. You'd be shocked if he didn't have an incredible year.  I continue to be concerned about McCaffrey's size and the number of carries and touches he gets. He will break down sometime, just a matter of when. I think he still is worth a high draft pick but his game is quickness.  Any injury that slows him down a bit would be an issue 

Edited by purplemonster

6 minutes ago, purplemonster said:

Gurley or Barkley.  Barkley is the safest bet there is likely.  Young, not banged up. You'd be shocked if he didn't have an incredible year.  I continue to be concerned about McCaffrey's size and the number of carries and touches he gets. He will break down sometime, just a matter of when. I think he still is worth a high draft pick but his game is quickness.  Any injury that slows him down a bit would be an issue 

This is why personally I want the 2nd pick next year.  Then you take whoever is left and don't have to second guess youself.

This year I had the #4th overall pick.  I ended up with Zeke, but if I had the 3rd pick I would have taken DJ over him.

Last year I had the option of either the 1st or 2nd pick.  I chose 1st and took DJ.  Had I taken 2nd, I would have ended up with Bell.

I was going to start a similar thread earlier in the week about how many great RBs we have next year. 

I see it as:

Tier 1: Gurley, Barkley, Zeke

Tier 2: Gordon, McCaffrey, Kamara, Conner 

Tier 3: Fournette, DJ, Chubb, Mixon 

RB 1 potential: Lindsay, Cook, 

ETA: Conner

Edited by Shaft

4 minutes ago, Shaft said:

I was going to start a similar thread earlier in the week about how many great RBs we have next year. 

I see it as:

Tier 2: Gordon, McCaffrey, Kamara

I agree with tiers 1 and 2 (but I might put DJ in that tier 2).  Then I'd go take one of the top wrs before I take any of the rbs in tier 3.  

That said, I see a big letdown for Lindsay next year.  I forget the exact numbers, but Lindsay is at the top of the league in yards before contact and towards the bottom in yards after contact.  He might have a good year, but I don't see him living up to his draft position.

20 minutes ago, Shaft said:

I see it as:

Tier 2: Gordon, McCaffrey, Kamara

I agree with that Tier assessment. Though, would you toss in Conner in tier 2??

17 minutes ago, Vikings>Packers said:

I agree with that Tier assessment. Though, would you toss in Conner in tier 2??

I agree, Conner should be in tier 2. Between the Bell drama and his injury I might have subconsciously blocked him out.

17 hours ago, Shaft said:

I agree, Conner should be in tier 2. Between the Bell drama and his injury I might have subconsciously blocked him out.

Conner scares me.  Pitt spent the entire offseason and preseason thinking Bell would come back.  Hell, I bet Pitt (regardless of if they'll admit it or not) spent the entire first half of the season thinking he'll come back.  How much of Conner's usage had to do with not having enough time to come up with a different plan.

I think he'll be ok next year, but I would put him in the 3rd tier.  Might seem like it's splitting hairs, but here's why it makes a big difference in my mind.

That top tier I'm taking with the first 3 picks.  That second tier, I'm more than likely taking with picks 4-6, but I would argue if you want to take a top WR in that range instead.

That third tier (Fournette, Chubb, Mixon, Conner), I'm definitely taking a WR over them.

Not Chubb.  I'd take him right after tier 2.  No way I'd touch Fournette next year.  Those two guys aren't that close to me.  I am not taking DJ next year either if I can help it.  Mixon I would do.  

What about WR?  Who do you think is going first there?  I am spitballing here.  

Tier 1: AB, Julio, Tyreek, Hopkins, Thomas, Adams, OBJ 

Tier 2: Smith Schuster (kind of a 1.5 here), Thielen, AJ Green, Cooper, Allen, Hilton, Evans

Tier 3:  Diggs, Golladay, DJ Moore, J.Gordon, Robert Woods, Cooks, Edelman

Edited by purplemonster

47 minutes ago, purplemonster said:

Not Chubb.  I'd take him right after tier 2.  No way I'd touch Fournette next year.  Those two guys aren't that close to me.  I am not taking DJ next year either if I can help it.  Mixon I would do.  

Tier 2: Smith Schuster (kind of a 1.5 here), Thielen, AJ Green, Cooper, Allen, Hilton, Evans

Personally, I'd bump Tyreek and OBJ down to the top of tier 2.  Tyreek scares me, he seems too big play dependent.  I have OBJ in a keeper league and he worries me.  It just seems like there's always something going on with him, whether it's his health or he's having a meltdown.  

I would not put Green in the tier 2.  I used to have him in my keeper league and I drafted him as my WR1 in my other league this year and can honestly say I will never draft him again.  He misses too many games.

As of now, I have top three tiers at RB and two at WR that I would use to prioritize my draft (I'd go RB tier 1, RB tier 2, WR tier 1, WR tier 2, RB tier 3).  After that, as far as RB tier 4 and WR tier 3, I don't really rank them like that because that's the time where I would start drafting based on team need.

AJ Green has played in all 16 games half of his 8 seasons, 15 games in another, 13 in another. Yes he missed 7 this year, and 6 two years before that. Over an 8 year career he has averaged 13.875 games per season. 

What about Julio, he went half a season or more without a TD this, why aren't you avoiding him?

Sorry just bugs me how often people claim somebody is injury prone or misses a lot of games when it isn't really true. Sure missing 13 games over the past 3 years is bad. It could be the new trend for him. 

12 hours ago, stevegrab said:

AJ Green has played in all 16 games half of his 8 seasons, 15 games in another, 13 in another. Yes he missed 7 this year, and 6 two years before that. Over an 8 year career he has averaged 13.875 games per season. 

What about Julio, he went half a season or more without a TD this, why aren't you avoiding him?

Sorry just bugs me how often people claim somebody is injury prone or misses a lot of games when it isn't really true. Sure missing 13 games over the past 3 years is bad. It could be the new trend for him. 

TDs are pretty random for WRS, so for WRs I tend to ignore those.  I mean, Julio went 7 games without one, but now has 5 in the last 6 games.  And in those first 7 games, he was still getting a ton of receptions and yards.

AJ averages 14 games a season over his career, but he's averaging 11 over his last 3 years.  And this year and in 2016, the games he missed were at the end of the year so he's not helping you at all during the end of the fantasy football season or in the playoffs.  I might be more forgiving of the missed games if the occurred in the beginning or middle of the season and then he comes back strong.  But in 2 of the last 3 years, I've spent my playoff runs trying to juggle my roster to cover for him. 

Plus he's 30.  It's not like he's really old, but old enough where these recent injuries concern me.  And I'll admit, that since I've owned him in those 2 years where he missed all of the games that I'm biased.  I'd rather pass on him and be proven wrong if he has a big game than take him and have him miss games again.

12 hours ago, loaf said:

Hill is the number 1 scoring WR in both my ppr and standard scoring leagues. He's in the top tier.

I wouldn't say you are wrong for this.  It's just, personally, if I were drafting I'd rather take all of those guys I listed in the top tier before him.

17 hours ago, purplemonster said:

Good call on Juju. He's definitely working his way into that top tier. 

1 hour ago, League_Champion said:

Good call on Juju. He's definitely working his way into that top tier. 

How many teams in recent history have supported 2 top fantasy wrs?  I'm not trying to prove a point, I'm legitimately asking.

If you think JuJu is going to move into that top tier, would you drop Brown down a tier?