[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

The eggs in the same basket approach

whomper

Just an observation over the last few weeks . There were many NFL teams that were so explosive this year , that I saw fantasy teams with 3-4 players on these teams dominate . The issue with that is when that team lays an egg, so does your fantasy team . I saw a team that had Kamara and Brees fizzle . Teams that loaded up on chiefs became human last night. Its a good recipe for regular season success but if it falls it falls pretty hard

2 minutes ago, whomper said:

Just an observation over the last few weeks . There were many NFL teams that were so explosive this year , that I saw fantasy teams with 3-4 players on these teams dominate . The issue with that is when that team lays an egg, so does your fantasy team . I saw a team that had Kamara and Brees fizzle . Teams that loaded up on chiefs became human last night. Its a good recipe for regular season success but if it falls it falls pretty hard

In 2004, one guy in my league Payton Manning and two other Colts (it was some combination of Edgerrin James, Reggie Wayne or Dallas Clark, I forget which 2).   This was the year that Manning set the single-season passing TD record and this owner crushed us all during the regular season.  We kept warning him that the Colts played the Ravens week 15 and it was risky to have that many players from one team going up against that defense.  We offered him trades but he was going to ride it out.  Well, Week 15 Manning scored 13 points, Edge scored 14, Wayne scored 12 points and Clark scored 1.5 and the guy got killed.  Didn't even make the finals

This year I started off the year with Hunt, Hill and Kelce.  I remembered that guy and traded Hunt for David Johnson around week 5 and Hill for Antonio Brown a few weeks ago.  Considering no matter what I get from DJ will be more than I would have gotten from Hunt this week and Hill had a bad game, I'm thinking I made the right move

11 minutes ago, LordOpie said:

you draft and play the players you think will put up the most points... so if they happen to be on the same team, so be it.

Maybe stacking players, on purpose, from the same team is a bad idea, but so is avoiding that approach for the invalid idea of diversifying just for diversification sake.

I agree during the regular season, but come playoffs when it's one-and-done, I want to diversify.

I'm not going to downgrade, but if I can get an equal player from another team rather than start 3 players from the same team, I'm going to do it.

4 hours ago, char92474 said:

In 2004, one guy in my league Payton Manning and two other Colts (it was some combination of Edgerrin James, Reggie Wayne or Dallas Clark, I forget which 2).   This was the year that Manning set the single-season passing TD record and this owner crushed us all during the regular season.  We kept warning him that the Colts played the Ravens week 15 and it was risky to have that many players from one team going up against that defense.  We offered him trades but he was going to ride it out.  Well, Week 15 Manning scored 13 points, Edge scored 14, Wayne scored 12 points and Clark scored 1.5 and the guy got killed.  Didn't even make the finals

This year I started off the year with Hunt, Hill and Kelce.  I remembered that guy and traded Hunt for David Johnson around week 5 and Hill for Antonio Brown a few weeks ago.  Considering no matter what I get from DJ will be more than I would have gotten from Hunt this week and Hill had a bad game, I'm thinking I made the right move

I really don't care where my points come from as long as I get them. Generally speaking I prefer to have players on explosive offenses than mediocre ones. Yes, DJ for Hunt worked out but I'd say only due to the completely unexpected issues with Hunt....otherwise that was a downgrade imo. I think Hill being banged up and playing through injury had more to do with his bad game than anything else. Trying to predict injuries or suspensions is hopeless. If you win this week than you could say it worked out but I don't think the success or failure had anything to do with diversifying. 

• Thanks 2

• DMD changed the title to The eggs in the same basket approach
7 hours ago, whomper said:

good stacks can be the best.  I had Romo-Dez on one Champion team.  More recently, Rodgers-Adams for a couple of years now with Aaron Jones mixed in.  

7 hours ago, char92474 said:

I'm shocked your league didnt complain that the Hunt-DJ week 5 trade was too one-sided in your trade partner's favor.  DJ and anything Arizona just looked toxic at that point of the season.  No whining?

Edited by Dcat
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Dcat said:

I'm shocked your league didnt complain that the Hunt-DJ week 5 trade was too one-sided in your trade partner's favor.  DJ and anything Arizona just looked toxic at that point of the season.  No whining?

True, but Hunt didn't start off on fire. He actually had a weak start. 

9 minutes ago, Shaft said:

True, but Hunt didn't start off on fire. He actually had a weak start. 

Just looked at my half ppr leauge's points for them in weeks 1-5 and you are right... they were both about the same:

Johnson: 72.7

Hunt: 76.7

I guess it's the whole "Cardinals offense" vs "Chiefs offense" that would make it seem unbalanced.  Optical illusion.

• Like 1

On 12/14/2018 at 5:37 PM, Dcat said:

Just looked at my half ppr leauge's points for them in weeks 1-5 and you are right... they were both about the same:

Johnson: 72.7

Hunt: 76.7

I guess it's the whole "Cardinals offense" vs "Chiefs offense" that would make it seem unbalanced.  Optical illusion.

It's actually pretty funny how this whole trade worked out.  

Part of the reason I made this trade is I was 4-0 and playing the only other 4-0 team in my division week 5.  This was the only time I was going to play that team all year, and I really thought at the time this game could determine the division champ (and first round bye).  I was scared because the Chiefs were playing the Jags, so I shopped around Hunt and DJ was the best offer I got.

I accepted the trade, and ended up winning big anyways.  The guy who got Hunt off of me actually expressed regret after that week (DJ scored 19 week 5, Hunt scored 14.5) but I didn't want to trade back.

That next week is when Hunt went on his massive run, and DJ continued to just be a low-end RB1, high-end RB2.  The other owner kept texting me to thank me for giving him the firepower he needed to compete.

I ended up winning 1st overall seed and total points without Hunt, so it didn't hurt me.  I kept telling myself that hopefully DJ has a big week in the playoffs so it all would work out in the end.

Of course, Hunt goes on to be suspended, so I essentially got a low-end RB1 for free.  On top of that, the guy who traded for Hunt didn't have Ware. When I saw this I decided it would be for the best to pick up my RB handcuffs and since I had James Conner I picked up Samuels.  

So it turns out that next week, I'm going to be playing the guy who I made the trade with in the finals.  He's shorthanded, he's without Hunt and will probably be without Keenan Allen or Tyler Boyd.  He will be a big underdog, so this trade probably won me the championship in the most indirect route ever.

I stacked Mahomes, Kelce, Gurley, & Cooks in a league this year. It wasn't planned. Just took who I thought was the best available player. Needless to say, I'll be getting bounced in the semis. Losing AJ Green hurt. Also lost A Jones to injury yesterday. Probably one of the best teams I've ever put together. 

29 minutes ago, buddahj said:

I stacked Mahomes, Kelce, Gurley, & Cooks in a league this year. It wasn't planned. Just took who I thought was the best available player. Needless to say, I'll be getting bounced in the semis. Losing AJ Green hurt. Also lost A Jones to injury yesterday. Probably one of the best teams I've ever put together. 

This is the kind of bad luck you can do nothing about.

Me and one other team ran away with the top 2 seeds in my keeper league.  Both of us set the new record for points in a season by a ton (old record was 1370, this season I scored 188 and he scored 1700).

He got bounced this week.  He was without Gordon and James White, Thielen and Ebron combined for 8 points.

I will hopefully win (I'm up 25 and have Lutz, he has Mark Ingram) but it was a lucky victory.  I had by far my lowest score of the year, but my opponent had Miller, Chubb, Lockett and Gronk combine for 19.  

Currently only stack I would do is Aaron Rodgers with Adams.... everyone else I fear is a risk even Ben/AB. Maybe Mahomes/Kelce combo. I wouldn't add any more than 2 players from the same team in my leagues. Thats just my opinion tho.

Maybe during Peyton manning season with he broncos where he threw for 55 touchdowns..you can have a team with Him/DThomas/Julias Thomas.... and flex Decker. Only season I would of possibly consider it, but even than I would be very skeptical