[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Black Monday: Bowles, Joseph, Gase, Lewis fired.

Dcat

On 1/3/2019 at 3:42 PM, stevegrab said:

Its odd because it seemed even Sun/Mon I was hearing "McCarthy will interview tomorrow, heard that again last night and now see its been postponed, team is talking to agent to set it up, now hearing Monday.

Some speculation he is the likely selection of Dorsey, and will be last to interview after some others. Many fans don't want him, or Caldwell, or any former coach that was fired (they must stink, you like like BB, Reid, Marty). Some think its silly to even be interviewing other candidates and are going to be angry if they don't keep Williams. 

Welp looks like I missed that one, reported since that McCarthy was told he'd need to retain Freddie Kitchen's as OC and said no, didn't even want to interview. Makes me wonder if that was the plan with anybody they were interviewing. I can understand why McCarthy and other experienced offensive coaches would not agree.

Good luck to the team(s) still looking. 

On 1/9/2019 at 9:04 PM, Def. said:

I've seen Sam Darnold's future....

ss3.JPG.99e58875688edbc807ed519f053fad87.JPG

Good luck with that.  ;)

yup.  Not my preferred choice.  I had McCarthy as my #1, Monken #2 (despite not wanting yet another 1st-time NFL Head Coach, I like Monken's track record.  You know until Gase, the Jets had not hired an experienced NFL Head Coach since Bill Parcells?  And that was under the ownership of Leon Hess!  Woody (now Chris) Johnson, in his near 20 year tenure as Jets owner, has NEVER hired an experienced NFL HC until Gase. I find that remarkable.) Gase #3.     

The Gase hire was an absolute compromise between ownership, who wanted an experienced HC for once, and GM Mike Maccagnan who camapaigned as hard as possible NOT to hire McCarthy due to McCarthy's demand to have Personnel control.  Maccagnan wanted Rhule, believe it or not or Monken.  So to appease everyone they hired Gase, who checks the following boxes: Experienced NFL HC, Offensive minded, can get the most of his QBs (allegedly).  I worry that Gase has zero interpersonal skills and that the players will despise him.  

• Like 1

Did you guys know that going back to Parcells every Jets HC has had a winning season their first year? Yet they've still ended up with a new coach every 4-5 years.

As a Browns fan that is hard to fathom, since we rarely have a winning record, if a first year head coach had a winning record it would probably give them another year or two to prove themselves. 

I also had heard that Peyton Manning recommended Gase to Jets management. 

12 hours ago, stevegrab said:

Did you guys know that going back to Parcells every Jets HC has had a winning season their first year? Yet they've still ended up with a new coach every 4-5 years.

As a Browns fan that is hard to fathom, since we rarely have a winning record, if a first year head coach had a winning record it would probably give them another year or two to prove themselves. 

I also had heard that Peyton Manning recommended Gase to Jets management. 

He also recommended Nationwide to them.  And he sang a few bars ...with Adam Gase you may save face....

• Haha 1

On 1/3/2019 at 3:42 PM, stevegrab said:

Its odd because it seemed even Sun/Mon I was hearing "McCarthy will interview tomorrow, heard that again last night and now see its been postponed, team is talking to agent to set it up, now hearing Monday.

Some speculation he is the likely selection of Dorsey, and will be last to interview after some others. Many fans don't want him, or Caldwell, or any former coach that was fired (they must stink, you like like BB, Reid, Marty). Some think its silly to even be interviewing other candidates and are going to be angry if they don't keep Williams. 

I don't think McCarthy is as valued in NFL circles as we believe. If he couldn't take an Aaron Rogers led team into the playoffs than what's he gonna do with some scrub team? I haven't seen enough from McCarthy to be in impressed.

2 hours ago, League_Champion said:

I don't think McCarthy is as valued in NFL circles as we believe. If he couldn't take an Aaron Rogers led team into the playoffs than what's he gonna do with some scrub team? I haven't seen enough from McCarthy to be in impressed.

I think you're wrong. McCarthy was interested in only one job the Jets and turned down several other offers. He's still being paid by the Packers and didn't want to leave GB now because of family. He'll have a job next year if he wants one. Many NFL executives are not as fickle as fans or enamoured with finding the next Sean McVay.

You make it sound like McCarthy never made the playoffs, I believe the last 2 years (one with Rodgers out, the second with him hobbled) were the first misses in about 10 years.

4 minutes ago, stevegrab said:

I think you're wrong. McCarthy was interested in only one job the Jets and turned down several other offers. He's still being paid by the Packers and didn't want to leave GB now because of family. He'll have a job next year if he wants one. Many NFL executives are not as fickle as fans or enamoured with finding the next Sean McVay.

You make it sound like McCarthy never made the playoffs, I believe the last 2 years (one with Rodgers out, the second with him hobbled) were the first misses in about 10 years.

I do believe a change of scenery will do him good but It's nearly impossible to miss the playoffs with Aaron Rogers. That alone will get you fired everytime.

7 minutes ago, League_Champion said:

I do believe a change of scenery will do him good but It's nearly impossible to miss the playoffs with Aaron Rogers. That alone will get you fired everytime.

Might want to look at Rodgers stats this year, not so good. Is it possible he wasn't healthy, or starting to decline? Or is it automatically the coaches fault since Rodgers is elite.

I'm not saying McCarthy is a great coach but neither is he washed up or "a never was good" coach. People are having recency bias. Many said Reid was washed up and not very good when the Eagles fired him, Belichik was a mess with the Browns now look.