[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Wild Card Officiating

jamesplante11

14 hours ago, Gourdeau said:

So far I feel like all 4 games they've really been letting them play

Probably just getting ready for the OL holding festival sure to take place next week in New England.  

No flags allowed. Ever.

14 hours ago, Bobby Brown said:

The refs asserted themselves heavily in the last 10 minutes of the Sehawks Cowboys game.

Wright even admitted he held on too long for the first call and Beasley was hit like 3 times on the 2nd one. There was a missed PI on the interception with Dallas knocking at Seattle's door . The Cowboys simply pulled out a very tight game that could have went either way

16 hours ago, Shaft said:

The rule books says the refs got it right. 

Check the bottom of page 70:

https://operations.nfl.com/the-rules/2018-nfl-rulebook/

Not going to lie, that portion of the rule makes no sense.  Treat it as if the ball went out of bounce and let the play stand like it should.  Because you do not have clear recovery is not a reason to ignore everything up to that point.  Just another bad rule IMO. 

What's a catch again?   

13 minutes ago, Def. said:

Not going to lie, that portion of the rule makes no sense.  Treat it as if the ball went out of bounce and let the play stand like it should.  Because you do not have clear recovery is not a reason to ignore everything up to that point.  Just another bad rule IMO. 

What's a catch again?   

I agree, the rule makes no sense, but the officials did get it right. I'm sure this scenario will be a teaching moment for coaches/players to always go after the ball because if one of the players recovered the ball this wouldn't be an issue. The problem is that the referee blew the whistle and called it an incomplete pass (so no one would go after the ball), BUT THEN overturned it and said it was complete. In this situation, like you said Def., it should be treated like it went out of bounds.  

• Like 1

I think they did the only fair thing they could yesterday in that situation.

Can't complain about the refs yesterday. Philly did benefit from close to 50 yards in their 1st TD drive, but that is just more frustrating than making an excuse. The Bears got 2 first downs from Philly penalties too.

2 hours ago, whomper said:

Wright even admitted he held on too long for the first call and Beasley was hit like 3 times on the 2nd one. There was a missed PI on the interception with Dallas knocking at Seattle's door . The Cowboys simply pulled out a very tight game that could have went either way

Seattle primarily lost because they waited way too long to assert Wilson into the game more.  That being said, between the holding and two PIs; the refs made some huge calls late in the game.  Would of been nice to see the obvious face-mask on Russ called or the PI on the Dallas DB who was grabbing onto Doug Baldwin too long.  But the refs decided to hold onto their flags for those plays and wait until crunch time to throw them. 

Edited by Bobby Brown

11 minutes ago, Bobby Brown said:

Seattle primarily lost because they waited way too long to assert Wilson into the game more.  That being said, between the holding and two PIs; the refs made some huge calls late in the game.  Would of been nice to see the obvious face-mask on Russ called or the PI on the Dallas DB who was grabbing onto Doug Baldwin too long.  But the refs decided to hold onto their flags for those plays and wait until crunch time to throw them. 

The facemask on zeke the very next series that was missed would have evened that out as well. As in any game, you can go tit for tat.

11 minutes ago, DMD said:

I'd agree - SEA seemed way too committed to running the ball even after it was obvious that it wasn't working.

Annoying - they've been stubborn with a commitment to the run throughout the season; but they also had at least one game where they realized it wasn't happening and won with Wilson throwing.  I think Pete fell in love with the grind and then all of the sudden it was a 2 score game. 

17 hours ago, Shaft said:

The rule books says the refs got it right. 

Check the bottom of page 70:

https://operations.nfl.com/the-rules/2018-nfl-rulebook/

True but they got it wrong initially by ruling that incomplete, to the naked eye looked like a catch. One trend I don't like is blowing plays dead (incomplete, runner down or momentum stopped) too quickly, has gotten worse last few years. Early in the year they did that with Lynch (think it was the Browns game) blowing the whistle while he was still breaking tackles. 

The problem is the refs sometimes know the reasons but don't explain. The ref should have said "by rule, with no clear recovery we cannot overturn the incomplete pass" instead of just saying basically nothing. 

51 minutes ago, MTSuper7 said:

I still don't understand how the officials didn't get the Derek Watt catch and roll right on review. He clearly broke the plane. It blows my mind how often a review doesn't work.

Yep. There was a perfect frame where it was so clear. Even tessetore felt it was going to be a TD

57 minutes ago, whomper said:

The facemask on zeke the very next series that was missed would have evened that out as well. As in any game, you can go tit for tat.

There was another missed facemask in a game yesterday, think it was with Chargers on offense, one of the RB got tackled and was looking for a flag, then replay showed it was pretty clear. The announcers completely missed it, busy praising the other teams defense.

1 hour ago, DMD said:

I'd agree - SEA seemed way too committed to running the ball even after it was obvious that it wasn't working.

At the very least , they should have given Penny more carries if they weren't going to abandon it . He seemed pretty explosive

1 hour ago, stevegrab said:

True but they got it wrong initially by ruling that incomplete, to the naked eye looked like a catch. One trend I don't like is blowing plays dead (incomplete, runner down or momentum stopped) too quickly, has gotten worse last few years. Early in the year they did that with Lynch (think it was the Browns game) blowing the whistle while he was still breaking tackles. 

The problem is the refs sometimes know the reasons but don't explain. The ref should have said "by rule, with no clear recovery we cannot overturn the incomplete pass" instead of just saying basically nothing. 

They have to change the rule.  All this does is encourage continuing to play after the whistle.  That is dangerous the players that stop when the whistle blows.   I agree they need to treat it like an out of bounds fumble.  

3 hours ago, whomper said:

Yup, like the illegal block on the back on Wagner on Daks 3rd down run.  The point being is that the refs were keeping their flags in their pocket the entire game and then decided to make 3 huge calls in Dallas's favor at the very end. I suppose some of that comes with home field advantage.

ETA:  the reffing certainly wasn't atrocious.  It just definitely worked in Dallas's favor late in the game when referees tend to be even more hesitant to throw flags.  That's all.

Edited by Bobby Brown

38 minutes ago, Bobby Brown said:

Yup, like the illegal block on the back on Wagner on Daks 3rd down run.  The point being is that the refs were keeping their flags in their pocket the entire game and then decided to make 3 huge calls in Dallas's favor at the very end. I suppose some of that comes with home field advantage.

ETA:  the reffing certainly wasn't atrocious.  It just definitely worked in Dallas's favor late in the game when referees tend to be even more hesitant to throw flags.  That's all.

Both of those calls were pass interference and blatant at that . The fact that it happened in the 4th Q doesn't change that . The Missed PI in a critical drive for the Cowboys happened late as well . What can you do . Onward we go

4 hours ago, whomper said:

Yep. There was a perfect frame where it was so clear. Even tessetore felt it was going to be a TD

Stuff like this is what makes the NFL looked rigged. Clearly it's bad for TV ratings if the Chargers go up three scores to start the 4th quarter. Fortunately, Anthony Lynn got the league memo and played prevent defense the entire 4th quarter to ensure the Ravens could climb back into the game (not easy to make it look legit when you're facing Lamar Jackson).