[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Nick Foles

Gourdeau

Yes it was a missed fg... but he put them in position to win with that last drive.

Let's look at his resume.

Multiple 400 yard passing games, a 7 td game, a 27 td 2int season. Superbowl and Superbowl MVP. Since 2013 Foles is 26-7 for the Eagles including playoffs.

Is it crazy to start asking who should be the starter moving forward ? Do they sell high on Foles ? Trade Wentz ?

After doing a bit of digging, I believe Foles has been grossly overlooked as a starter because of his season with the Rams and JEFF FISHER .

• Like 1

Foles contract has an option in 2019, which the Eagles need to exercise one week after the SB. That option is $20M

Foles contract on spotrac

Some key points from that contract

• Eagles must exercise 2019 option 1 week after the Super Bowl
  • Foles has 5 days after the Eagles' decision to exercise. If he declines he must payback $2M of the 2018 bonus
  • 2019 salary fully guarantees on 3/18/2019
  • 2020-2021 years automatically void if on the roster 23 days before the 2019 league year

1 hour ago, stevegrab said:

Foles contract has an option in 2019, which the Eagles need to exercise one week after the SB. That option is $20M

• Foles has 5 days after the Eagles' decision to exercise. If he declines he must payback $2M of the 2018 bonus
  • 2020-2021 years automatically void if on the roster 23 days before the 2019 league year

Wow, big decisions!

4 minutes ago, Wolverines Fan said:

Is it my imagination or are the Eagles playing better with Foles as their starter than they did with Wentz under center?

And I'm talking about this season.

Wentz is a better QB but the Eagles play better with Foles. Is that akin to his mindset coming in that he really has nothing to lose ? On the flip side could Wentz have been feeling extra pressure knowing Foles was possibly lurking if he struggled. Let's now forget Wentz was likely MVP before his injury last year.Either way it's fascinating 

29 minutes ago, Gourdeau said:

Wentz is a better QB but the Eagles play better with Foles. Is that akin to his mindset coming in that he really has nothing to lose ? On the flip side could Wentz have been feeling extra pressure knowing Foles was possibly lurking if he struggled. Let's now forget Wentz was likely MVP before his injury last year.Either way it's fascinating 

I agree. Many forget that Wentz played all season injured. His knee wasn't/isn't 100% and now a fractured back. He's an absolute stud. It would be absured to think Foles has any future in Philly. If he wins another Superbowl, YES. They'll have no choice but to sign him.

2 hours ago, stevegrab said:

They don't have to exercise that option. They can just let him walk which is more than likely what they'll do. If they do exercise the option it's 20 million, if he opts out he owes 2 million. The team is in control. 

Edited by League_Champion

1 hour ago, LordOpie said:

I don't think they will. How much of that $20mil is payable immediately? if little to none, even if guaranteed, they can option and trade him. Some team will definitely give a 2nd for Foles, so why not option him and get the pick.

Also, they might not even trade him. The wentz-foles combo has clearly worked out well for PHI

no change they don't option him

I agree with you. I'd do everything I could to sign & trade him. But if they do sign him for that 20 million and for some reason can't trade him they'll be way over the cap and screwed. Not many teams can afford a big time QB contract. it's a gamble either way. Their GM Howie Roseman is one of the best when it comes to contracts and rearranging money. If there's a way he can do it.

22 minutes ago, LordOpie said:

lol, you're not paying attention

1. he's absolutely going to get that next year as he's proven he can do the job and well.
  2. until wentz can get through a whole season and post-season, the team needs insurance.

do you think the team is extremely happy that they kept Foles? How much is a post-season win worth? How much is keeping your fans engage the entire season? (Broncos fans checked out a month or two ago).

now, I'd like you to explain what "We've seen how that goes" means

The point in not every team can is it depends on their current cap situation. In the Eagles case if they decide to exercise the option they would need to cut elsewhere to make it happen. Obviously a sign and trade would work if they can work out what they feel is a fair deal which would be a pretty high draft pick. (I would think at least a second and maybe a first). So it comes down to, do they want to spend 20 million on a backup QB at the expense of cutting other players that contribute at other positions if they cannot work out a deal.

29 minutes ago, LordOpie said:

they do want to spend money for a superbowl winning back up who won another playoff game... and we'll have evidence of that in a few months.

Every single team in the league would love to have a QB who has proven he is worth $20+mil. No matter the consequences, they'd all make it work. In the past off-season, who would you rather have had... Foles or Case Keenum? Case got nearly that much and doesn't have as good a resume. Cousins doesn't have as good a resume and got 50% more GUARANTEED over 3 YEARS.

How is this even a qeustion?

I don't understand why you guys are surprised by this. Matt Flynn had one amazing game and got paid by SEA the next season. CHI paid Mike Glennon only to spend draft capital to move up one spot for Trubisky.

Are y'all forgetting how critically important the QB position is?

I am not arguing he is not worth 20 mill and I am sure the Eagles feel he is worth it. However we are talking about him being a backup QB with the Eagles, not the starter. All of the QB's you pointed out went on to be starters elsewhere. Not to be a backup. Glennon was brought in to be the starter and then they ended up drafting Trubisky with the plan of Trubisky sitting behind Glennon for a year or so. Then Glennon got beat out in camp, if I remember correctly.

Edited by blaw23

1 hour ago, LordOpie said:

lol, you're not paying attention

1. he's absolutely going to get that next year as he's proven he can do the job and well.
  2. until wentz can get through a whole season and post-season, the team needs insurance.

do you think the team is extremely happy that they kept Foles? How much is a post-season win worth? How much is keeping your fans engage the entire season? (Broncos fans checked out a month or two ago).

now, I'd like you to explain what "We've seen how that goes" means

Because he sucks as a full time starter. What he's done in relief is remarkable but Foles is not a starter and I'm not paying him starter money, how can they? Your correct in that someone will pay him. It won't be the Eagles. According to your statement you think they should keep both Foles and Wentz? Tell me exactly how they'll afford to do that now that he'll be a free agent? 

1 hour ago, League_Champion said:

Because he sucks as a full time starter. What he's done in relief is remarkable but Foles is not a starter and I'm not paying him starter money, how can they? Your correct in that someone will pay him. It won't be the Eagles. According to your statement you think they should keep both Foles and Wentz? Tell me exactly how they'll afford to do that now that he'll be a free agent? 

What are you basing " he sucks as a starter " on? His stats as a starter minus his starts with the Rams are quite impressive since 2013.

• Thanks 1

Foles is potentially a free agent if he wants to be.  No matter what the Eagles do, he can pay 2 million and become a free agent.  I think Foles works remarkably well for the Eagles in the playoffs.  But he curiously seems to play quite a bit worse in the regular season if you take away last postseason.  He was great under pressure last year but has not been at all if you look at him historically.  It will be interesting to see what happens if he has another big run.  A mediocre or bad game this postseason and I don't see him coming back. 

1 hour ago, purplemonster said:

Foles is potentially a free agent if he wants to be.  No matter what the Eagles do, he can pay 2 million and become a free agent.  I think Foles works remarkably well for the Eagles in the playoffs.  But he curiously seems to play quite a bit worse in the regular season if you take away last postseason.  He was great under pressure last year but has not been at all if you look at him historically.  It will be interesting to see what happens if he has another big run.  A mediocre or bad game this postseason and I don't see him coming back. 

Very well stated. IF Foles wants to be a starter it won't be in Philly. He'd be wise to exercise his 2 million dollar buyout if the Eagles do decide to offer the 20 million. UNLESS the Eagles can somehow work out a sign & trade deal which saves Foles 2 million and gets the Eagles better compensation. They won't keep a 20 million dollar backup QB on the roster, they can't. 

17 hours ago, League_Champion said:

You can't take away his bad starts. That's the point. If you take away Tom Brady's loses he's undefeated.

Agree but you also have to take into account who was coaching that team and what weapons he had around him. He was 14-4 in 2013 and 2014 for the Eagles before going to the rams. 

• Thanks 1

Nick Foles was apparently on the verge of quitting football before Matt Nagy talked him into coming to KC as Alex Smith's backup a couple of years ago. And then Foles landed with Philly shortly thereafter (a place, coaching staff, and system he was already familiar with since Doug Peterson was a Reid disciple). I get the feeling that Foles might be ok with being a well-paid backup QB on a team and system he knows well vs. leaving for another city/coach where he would be starting over, so to speak. Just a hunch, but his career arc makes me think he might prefer to stick with who/where he knows. Again, this assumes that he'd get a nice pay raise from Philly to stay (which is feasible since Wentz is still on his rookie deal).

I also assume that the Eagles would never let him walk in free agency with his value as high as it is right now. If they chat with him after this season and find that Foles wants to test free agency, they'd rather franchise tag him as non-exclusive or transition with the intention of earning draft capital if another team signs Foles to an offer sheet. And that assumes they would want to let him go in the first place, which isn't a safe assumption at all. Having Foles there as a backup has proven to be extremely valuable and key to the Eagles' success these past couple of years. There is also the question of whether or not Wentz and Foles could co-exist there after this season (which might prove really dicey if Foles were to make another Super Bowl).

And one last comment - you absolutely have to throw out Foles' numbers with the Rams. Just look at the numbers that Goff and Keenum have put up both with the Rams and elsewhere. There is tons of evidence to support that the Rams were poorly run and coached and that no QB could have been successful there. 

• Like 1