Yes it was a missed fg... but he put them in position to win with that last drive.

Let's look at his resume.

Multiple 400 yard passing games, a 7 td game, a 27 td 2int season. Superbowl and Superbowl MVP. Since 2013 Foles is 26-7 for the Eagles including playoffs.

Is it crazy to start asking who should be the starter moving forward ? Do they sell high on Foles ? Trade Wentz ?

After doing a bit of digging, I believe Foles has been grossly overlooked as a starter because of his season with the Rams and JEFF FISHER .

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Definitely does not get rattled and seems to rise to the occasion.  He's really accurate if he has time  The Eagles do a good job protecting him.  I think they stick with Wentz and I think Foles should go somewhere where there is a good OL IMO.  

Edited by purplemonster

Foles contract has an option in 2019, which the Eagles need to exercise one week after the SB. That option is $20M

Foles contract on spotrac

Some key points from that contract

• Eagles must exercise 2019 option 1 week after the Super Bowl
  • Foles has 5 days after the Eagles' decision to exercise. If he declines he must payback $2M of the 2018 bonus
  • 2019 salary fully guarantees on 3/18/2019
  • 2020-2021 years automatically void if on the roster 23 days before the 2019 league year

1 hour ago, stevegrab said:

Foles contract has an option in 2019, which the Eagles need to exercise one week after the SB. That option is $20M

• Foles has 5 days after the Eagles' decision to exercise. If he declines he must payback $2M of the 2018 bonus
  • 2020-2021 years automatically void if on the roster 23 days before the 2019 league year

Wow, big decisions!

The guy almost quit football.  He only went to the Chiefs to back up Alex Smith because of his relationship with Andy Reid.  

Is it my imagination or are the Eagles playing better with Foles as their starter than they did with Wentz under center?

And I'm talking about this season.

36 minutes ago, Gourdeau said:

What does that mean?

4 minutes ago, Wolverines Fan said:

Is it my imagination or are the Eagles playing better with Foles as their starter than they did with Wentz under center?

And I'm talking about this season.

Wentz is a better QB but the Eagles play better with Foles. Is that akin to his mindset coming in that he really has nothing to lose ? On the flip side could Wentz have been feeling extra pressure knowing Foles was possibly lurking if he struggled. Let's now forget Wentz was likely MVP before his injury last year.Either way it's fascinating 

29 minutes ago, Gourdeau said:

Wentz is a better QB but the Eagles play better with Foles. Is that akin to his mindset coming in that he really has nothing to lose ? On the flip side could Wentz have been feeling extra pressure knowing Foles was possibly lurking if he struggled. Let's now forget Wentz was likely MVP before his injury last year.Either way it's fascinating 

I agree. Many forget that Wentz played all season injured. His knee wasn't/isn't 100% and now a fractured back. He's an absolute stud. It would be absured to think Foles has any future in Philly. If he wins another Superbowl, YES. They'll have no choice but to sign him.

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, stevegrab said:

They don't have to exercise that option. They can just let him walk which is more than likely what they'll do. If they do exercise the option it's 20 million, if he opts out he owes 2 million. The team is in control. 

Edited by League_Champion

1 hour ago, League_Champion said:

They don't have to exercise that option. They can just let him walk which is more than likely what they'll do.

I don't think they will. How much of that $20mil is payable immediately? if little to none, even if guaranteed, they can option and trade him. Some team will definitely give a 2nd for Foles, so why not option him and get the pick.

Also, they might not even trade him. The wentz-foles combo has clearly worked out well for PHI

no change they don't option him

1 hour ago, LordOpie said:

I don't think they will. How much of that $20mil is payable immediately? if little to none, even if guaranteed, they can option and trade him. Some team will definitely give a 2nd for Foles, so why not option him and get the pick.

Also, they might not even trade him. The wentz-foles combo has clearly worked out well for PHI

no change they don't option him

I agree with you. I'd do everything I could to sign & trade him. But if they do sign him for that 20 million and for some reason can't trade him they'll be way over the cap and screwed. Not many teams can afford a big time QB contract. it's a gamble either way. Their GM Howie Roseman is one of the best when it comes to contracts and rearranging money. If there's a way he can do it.

5 hours ago, League_Champion said:

Not many teams can afford a big time QB contract

every team can

He clearly needs to stay put. Wentz hasn't been the energizer bunny...however it needs to happen, it needs to happen

24 minutes ago, League_Champion said:

Nick Foles 20+ million?? He's not a starter. We've seen how that goes. 

lol, you're not paying attention

1. he's absolutely going to get that next year as he's proven he can do the job and well.
  2. until wentz can get through a whole season and post-season, the team needs insurance.

do you think the team is extremely happy that they kept Foles? How much is a post-season win worth? How much is keeping your fans engage the entire season? (Broncos fans checked out a month or two ago).

now, I'd like you to explain what "We've seen how that goes" means

22 minutes ago, LordOpie said:

1. he's absolutely going to get that next year as he's proven he can do the job and well.
  2. until wentz can get through a whole season and post-season, the team needs insurance.

do you think the team is extremely happy that they kept Foles? How much is a post-season win worth? How much is keeping your fans engage the entire season? (Broncos fans checked out a month or two ago).

The point in not every team can is it depends on their current cap situation. In the Eagles case if they decide to exercise the option they would need to cut elsewhere to make it happen. Obviously a sign and trade would work if they can work out what they feel is a fair deal which would be a pretty high draft pick. (I would think at least a second and maybe a first). So it comes down to, do they want to spend 20 million on a backup QB at the expense of cutting other players that contribute at other positions if they cannot work out a deal.

9 minutes ago, blaw23 said:

The point in not every team can is it depends on their current cap situation. In the Eagles case if they decide to exercise the option they would need to cut elsewhere to make it happen. Obviously a sign and trade would work if they can work out what they feel is a fair deal which would be a pretty high draft pick. (I would think at least a second and maybe a first). So it comes down to, do they want to spend 20 million on a backup QB at the expense of cutting other players that contribute at other positions if they cannot work out a deal.

they do want to spend money for a superbowl winning back up who won another playoff game... and we'll have evidence of that in a few months.

Every single team in the league would love to have a QB who has proven he is worth $20+mil. No matter the consequences, they'd all make it work. In the past off-season, who would you rather have had... Foles or Case Keenum? Case got nearly that much and doesn't have as good a resume. Cousins doesn't have as good a resume and got 50% more GUARANTEED over 3 YEARS.

How is this even a qeustion?

I don't understand why you guys are surprised by this. Matt Flynn had one amazing game and got paid by SEA the next season. CHI paid Mike Glennon only to spend draft capital to move up one spot for Trubisky.

Are y'all forgetting how critically important the QB position is?

Posted (edited)
29 minutes ago, LordOpie said:

they do want to spend money for a superbowl winning back up who won another playoff game... and we'll have evidence of that in a few months.

Every single team in the league would love to have a QB who has proven he is worth $20+mil. No matter the consequences, they'd all make it work. In the past off-season, who would you rather have had... Foles or Case Keenum? Case got nearly that much and doesn't have as good a resume. Cousins doesn't have as good a resume and got 50% more GUARANTEED over 3 YEARS.

How is this even a qeustion?

I don't understand why you guys are surprised by this. Matt Flynn had one amazing game and got paid by SEA the next season. CHI paid Mike Glennon only to spend draft capital to move up one spot for Trubisky.

Are y'all forgetting how critically important the QB position is?

I am not arguing he is not worth 20 mill and I am sure the Eagles feel he is worth it. However we are talking about him being a backup QB with the Eagles, not the starter. All of the QB's you pointed out went on to be starters elsewhere. Not to be a backup. Glennon was brought in to be the starter and then they ended up drafting Trubisky with the plan of Trubisky sitting behind Glennon for a year or so. Then Glennon got beat out in camp, if I remember correctly.

Edited by blaw23

1 hour ago, LordOpie said:

Because he sucks as a full time starter. What he's done in relief is remarkable but Foles is not a starter and I'm not paying him starter money, how can they? Your correct in that someone will pay him. It won't be the Eagles. According to your statement you think they should keep both Foles and Wentz? Tell me exactly how they'll afford to do that now that he'll be a free agent? 

2 minutes ago, blaw23 said:

I am not arguing he is not worth 20 mill and I am sure the Eagles feel he is worth it. However we are talking about him being a backup QB with the Eagles, not the starter. All of the QB's you pointed out went on to be starters elsewhere. Not to be a backup.

but he is the starter. he won them a superbowl last year. He led them to the playoffs and already won a playoff game.

He proved he's a starter.

All I'm saying is there's zero chance that PHI lets him walk. Maybe he does play for them next year, but no way they don't exercise the option.

1 minute ago, League_Champion said:

Because he sucks as a full time starter. What he's done in relief is remarkable but Foles is not a starter and I'm not paying him starter money, how can they? Your correct in that someone will pay him. It won't be the Eagles. According to your statement you think they should keep both Foles and Wentz? Tell me exactly how they'll afford to do that now that he'll be a free agent? 

according to the above info -- maybe one of us should read this thread again? -- Foles is not a free agent next year if PHI exercises the option.

7 minutes ago, LordOpie said:

according to the above info -- maybe one of us should read this thread again? -- Foles is not a free agent next year if PHI exercises the option.

They WON'T exercise that option. That was protection in case Wentz's injury was worse than feared. They said that much.