Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, League_Champion said:

 

Because he sucks as a full time starter. What he's done in relief is remarkable but Foles is not a starter and I'm not paying him starter money, how can they? Your correct in that someone will pay him. It won't be the Eagles. According to your statement you think they should keep both Foles and Wentz? Tell me exactly how they'll afford to do that now that he'll be a free agent? 

What are you basing " he sucks as a starter " on? His stats as a starter minus his starts with the Rams are quite impressive since 2013.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, Gourdeau said:

What are you basing " he sucks as a starter " on? His stats as a starter minus his starts with the Rams are quite impressive since 2013.

 

You can't take away his bad starts. That's the point. If you take away Tom Brady's loses he's undefeated.

  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, League_Champion said:

 

 They said that much. 

we will find out in a few months, but I'd certainly enjoy challenging you to find a link to that

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Foles is potentially a free agent if he wants to be.  No matter what the Eagles do, he can pay 2 million and become a free agent.  I think Foles works remarkably well for the Eagles in the playoffs.  But he curiously seems to play quite a bit worse in the regular season if you take away last postseason.  He was great under pressure last year but has not been at all if you look at him historically.  It will be interesting to see what happens if he has another big run.  A mediocre or bad game this postseason and I don't see him coming back. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, purplemonster said:

Foles is potentially a free agent if he wants to be.  No matter what the Eagles do, he can pay 2 million and become a free agent.  I think Foles works remarkably well for the Eagles in the playoffs.  But he curiously seems to play quite a bit worse in the regular season if you take away last postseason.  He was great under pressure last year but has not been at all if you look at him historically.  It will be interesting to see what happens if he has another big run.  A mediocre or bad game this postseason and I don't see him coming back. 

 

Very well stated. IF Foles wants to be a starter it won't be in Philly. He'd be wise to exercise his 2 million dollar buyout if the Eagles do decide to offer the 20 million. UNLESS the Eagles can somehow work out a sign & trade deal which saves Foles 2 million and gets the Eagles better compensation. They won't keep a 20 million dollar backup QB on the roster, they can't. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, League_Champion said:

 

You can't take away his bad starts. That's the point. If you take away Tom Brady's loses he's undefeated.

Agree but you also have to take into account who was coaching that team and what weapons he had around him. He was 14-4 in 2013 and 2014 for the Eagles before going to the rams. 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, League_Champion said:

 

You can't take away his bad starts. That's the point. If you take away Tom Brady's loses he's undefeated.

 

No player can overcome a truly incompetently run team.  Not even Tom Brady.  Football is a team sport.

 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Nick Foles was apparently on the verge of quitting football before Matt Nagy talked him into coming to KC as Alex Smith's backup a couple of years ago. And then Foles landed with Philly shortly thereafter (a place, coaching staff, and system he was already familiar with since Doug Peterson was a Reid disciple). I get the feeling that Foles might be ok with being a well-paid backup QB on a team and system he knows well vs. leaving for another city/coach where he would be starting over, so to speak. Just a hunch, but his career arc makes me think he might prefer to stick with who/where he knows. Again, this assumes that he'd get a nice pay raise from Philly to stay (which is feasible since Wentz is still on his rookie deal).

 

I also assume that the Eagles would never let him walk in free agency with his value as high as it is right now. If they chat with him after this season and find that Foles wants to test free agency, they'd rather franchise tag him as non-exclusive or transition with the intention of earning draft capital if another team signs Foles to an offer sheet. And that assumes they would want to let him go in the first place, which isn't a safe assumption at all. Having Foles there as a backup has proven to be extremely valuable and key to the Eagles' success these past couple of years. There is also the question of whether or not Wentz and Foles could co-exist there after this season (which might prove really dicey if Foles were to make another Super Bowl).

 

And one last comment - you absolutely have to throw out Foles' numbers with the Rams. Just look at the numbers that Goff and Keenum have put up both with the Rams and elsewhere. There is tons of evidence to support that the Rams were poorly run and coached and that no QB could have been successful there. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, MTSuper7 said:

Nick Foles was apparently on the verge of quitting football before Matt Nagy talked him into coming to KC as Alex Smith's backup a couple of years ago. And then Foles landed with Philly shortly thereafter (a place, coaching staff, and system he was already familiar with since Doug Peterson was a Reid disciple). I get the feeling that Foles might be ok with being a well-paid backup QB on a team and system he knows well vs. leaving for another city/coach where he would be starting over, so to speak. Just a hunch, but his career arc makes me think he might prefer to stick with who/where he knows. Again, this assumes that he'd get a nice pay raise from Philly to stay (which is feasible since Wentz is still on his rookie deal).

 

I also assume that the Eagles would never let him walk in free agency with his value as high as it is right now. If they chat with him after this season and find that Foles wants to test free agency, they'd rather franchise tag him as non-exclusive or transition with the intention of earning draft capital if another team signs Foles to an offer sheet. And that assumes they would want to let him go in the first place, which isn't a safe assumption at all. Having Foles there as a backup has proven to be extremely valuable and key to the Eagles' success these past couple of years. There is also the question of whether or not Wentz and Foles could co-exist there after this season (which might prove really dicey if Foles were to make another Super Bowl).

 

And one last comment - you absolutely have to throw out Foles' numbers with the Rams. Just look at the numbers that Goff and Keenum have put up both with the Rams and elsewhere. There is tons of evidence to support that the Rams were poorly run and coached and that no QB could have been successful there. 

 

Foles is still under contract with the Eagles and set to make $20M next year, since you're talking about franchise tags and him getting a big pay raise...

 

Foles contract

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, stevegrab said:

 

Foles is still under contract with the Eagles and set to make $20M next year, since you're talking about franchise tags and him getting a big pay raise...

 

Foles contract

 

He's not under contract. The team has a 20 million dollar option that Foles can buy out of for 2 million. They'll try to find a suitor but the likely scenario is that they let him walk. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, MTSuper7 said:

which is feasible since Wentz is still on his rookie deal

this is something that guys like League_Champion don't seem to understand. It's perfectly reasonable to set a budget for a position.

How come PHI didn't trade Foles last off-season? Is it because he's a fantastic insurance policy? Insurance that is clearly paying off. A good back up is worth the price.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, LordOpie said:

this is something that guys like League_Champion don't seem to understand. It's perfectly reasonable to set a budget for a position.

How come PHI didn't trade Foles last off-season? Is it because he's a fantastic insurance policy? Insurance that is clearly paying off. A good back up is worth the price.

 

Ughh. This isn't last season Opie. They dont have the cap room this year. They have a lot of mouths to feed this off-season. Where do you find an extra 20 million to pay a backup?? In Jeff Luries A$$?

  • Confused 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I would trade Wentz for two 1s and a starting player.

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Ramhock said:

I would trade Wentz for two 1s and a starting player.

 

If Foles somehow wins another Superbowl they will. That's the only scenario in which Wentz gets traded. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, League_Champion said:

 

If Foles somehow wins another Superbowl they will. That's the only scenario in which Wentz gets traded. 

 

I disagree. The incoming crop of QBs from the college ranks is pretty crummy this year. Wentz would fetch a king's ransom if the Eagles decided to trade him. More than Foles for sure since he's so young and more talented. They could then draft their QB of the future in 2-3 years when someone like Trevor Lawrence is there. And Foles is good enough to win now as we've all seen. If Foles plays well at New Orleans, that's enough IMO.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, League_Champion said:

 

He's not under contract. The team has a 20 million dollar option that Foles can buy out of for 2 million. They'll try to find a suitor but the likely scenario is that they let him walk. 

 

 

Guess I am looking at the option as something the team had to opt out of, so until they did he's under contract. 

 

Agree they try to trade him or let him go, unless they don't and trade Wentz instead. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, MTSuper7 said:

 

I disagree. The incoming crop of QBs from the college ranks is pretty crummy this year. Wentz would fetch a king's ransom if the Eagles decided to trade him. More than Foles for sure since he's so young and more talented. They could then draft their QB of the future in 2-3 years when someone like Trevor Lawrence is there. And Foles is good enough to win now as we've all seen. If Foles plays well at New Orleans, that's enough IMO.

 

I think trading Wentz would be a huge mistake. QB's with his skillset don't come along often. Foles is mediocre in a full time starter roll. We've seen it before under 3 different coaches in Philly, it's never worked. This is why Wentz is here now.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, League_Champion said:

 

I think trading Wentz would be a huge mistake. QB's with his skillset don't come along often. Foles is mediocre in a full time starter roll. We've seen it before under 3 different coaches in Philly, it's never worked. This is why Wentz is here now.

 

Foles also had 2 very successful seasons with the Eagles, 8-2 and 6-2 as a starter 2013-14  Does the rest of his carer overshadow that (12-14 as a starter outside those years, 7-7 with PHI)

 

He's had 2 bad years, 2012 (rookie) with PHI 1-5 as a starter, 2015 with STL, 4-7 as a starer.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, stevegrab said:

 

Foles also had 2 very successful seasons with the Eagles, 8-2 and 6-2 as a starter 2013-14  Does the rest of his carer overshadow that (12-14 as a starter outside those years, 7-7 with PHI)

 

He's had 2 bad years, 2012 (rookie) with PHI 1-5 as a starter, 2015 with STL, 4-7 as a starer.

 

I'd like to see Nick Foles get another shot as the starter on a good team. He deserves another shot at it. Unfortunately it won't be in Philly as long as Wentz is there. UNLESS he somehow wins another Superbowl this season. If so Wentz is gone.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

sources are reporting his option has been picked up

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, League_Champion said:

 

Which he can buy out of for 2 million. And he will. 

do you pay attention to the things you say? Because you said there's no way that PHI would pick up his option. And they did.

It's not that he can buy out his option, but that he forfeits his $20mil from PHI. So he has to be absolutely certain that another team will give him MORE than $22mil this coming year. Do you think he and his agent are *certain* that some team will give him that? If not, he's better off not buying out his option.

I look forward to you being certain something is going happen, then it doesn't, then you totally dismiss it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/8/2019 at 4:14 PM, League_Champion said:

 

They WON'T exercise that option.

:lol:

 

On 1/8/2019 at 4:14 PM, League_Champion said:

 

They WON'T exercise that option.

:lol:

On 1/8/2019 at 4:04 PM, League_Champion said:

Your correct in that someone will pay him. It won't be the Eagles.

:lol:

On 1/7/2019 at 1:57 PM, League_Champion said:

They can just let him walk which is more than likely what they'll do.

:lol:

On 1/7/2019 at 1:45 PM, League_Champion said:

 It would be absured to think Foles has any future in Philly.

:lol:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/9/2019 at 3:53 PM, League_Champion said:

 but the likely scenario is that they let him walk.

:lol:

On 1/9/2019 at 6:14 PM, League_Champion said:

They dont have the cap room this year. Where do you find an extra 20 million to pay a backup?? In Jeff Luries A$$?

:lol:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/8/2019 at 4:14 PM, League_Champion said:

They WON'T exercise that option. They said that much. 

i'm still curious where you heard that they were NOT going to exercise his option?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.