[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Nick Foles

Gourdeau

14 minutes ago, MTSuper7 said:

Nick Foles was apparently on the verge of quitting football before Matt Nagy talked him into coming to KC as Alex Smith's backup a couple of years ago. And then Foles landed with Philly shortly thereafter (a place, coaching staff, and system he was already familiar with since Doug Peterson was a Reid disciple). I get the feeling that Foles might be ok with being a well-paid backup QB on a team and system he knows well vs. leaving for another city/coach where he would be starting over, so to speak. Just a hunch, but his career arc makes me think he might prefer to stick with who/where he knows. Again, this assumes that he'd get a nice pay raise from Philly to stay (which is feasible since Wentz is still on his rookie deal).

I also assume that the Eagles would never let him walk in free agency with his value as high as it is right now. If they chat with him after this season and find that Foles wants to test free agency, they'd rather franchise tag him as non-exclusive or transition with the intention of earning draft capital if another team signs Foles to an offer sheet. And that assumes they would want to let him go in the first place, which isn't a safe assumption at all. Having Foles there as a backup has proven to be extremely valuable and key to the Eagles' success these past couple of years. There is also the question of whether or not Wentz and Foles could co-exist there after this season (which might prove really dicey if Foles were to make another Super Bowl).

And one last comment - you absolutely have to throw out Foles' numbers with the Rams. Just look at the numbers that Goff and Keenum have put up both with the Rams and elsewhere. There is tons of evidence to support that the Rams were poorly run and coached and that no QB could have been successful there. 

Foles is still under contract with the Eagles and set to make $20M next year, since you're talking about franchise tags and him getting a big pay raise...

Foles contract

Just now, stevegrab said:

Foles is still under contract with the Eagles and set to make $20M next year, since you're talking about franchise tags and him getting a big pay raise...

Foles contract

He's not under contract. The team has a 20 million dollar option that Foles can buy out of for 2 million. They'll try to find a suitor but the likely scenario is that they let him walk. 

1 hour ago, LordOpie said:

this is something that guys like League_Champion don't seem to understand. It's perfectly reasonable to set a budget for a position.

How come PHI didn't trade Foles last off-season? Is it because he's a fantastic insurance policy? Insurance that is clearly paying off. A good back up is worth the price.

Ughh. This isn't last season Opie. They dont have the cap room this year. They have a lot of mouths to feed this off-season. Where do you find an extra 20 million to pay a backup?? In Jeff Luries A$$?

• Confused 1

16 hours ago, League_Champion said:

If Foles somehow wins another Superbowl they will. That's the only scenario in which Wentz gets traded. 

I disagree. The incoming crop of QBs from the college ranks is pretty crummy this year. Wentz would fetch a king's ransom if the Eagles decided to trade him. More than Foles for sure since he's so young and more talented. They could then draft their QB of the future in 2-3 years when someone like Trevor Lawrence is there. And Foles is good enough to win now as we've all seen. If Foles plays well at New Orleans, that's enough IMO.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, League_Champion said:

He's not under contract. The team has a 20 million dollar option that Foles can buy out of for 2 million. They'll try to find a suitor but the likely scenario is that they let him walk. 

Guess I am looking at the option as something the team had to opt out of, so until they did he's under contract. 

Agree they try to trade him or let him go, unless they don't and trade Wentz instead. 

3 hours ago, MTSuper7 said:

I disagree. The incoming crop of QBs from the college ranks is pretty crummy this year. Wentz would fetch a king's ransom if the Eagles decided to trade him. More than Foles for sure since he's so young and more talented. They could then draft their QB of the future in 2-3 years when someone like Trevor Lawrence is there. And Foles is good enough to win now as we've all seen. If Foles plays well at New Orleans, that's enough IMO.

I think trading Wentz would be a huge mistake. QB's with his skillset don't come along often. Foles is mediocre in a full time starter roll. We've seen it before under 3 different coaches in Philly, it's never worked. This is why Wentz is here now.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, League_Champion said:

I think trading Wentz would be a huge mistake. QB's with his skillset don't come along often. Foles is mediocre in a full time starter roll. We've seen it before under 3 different coaches in Philly, it's never worked. This is why Wentz is here now.

Foles also had 2 very successful seasons with the Eagles, 8-2 and 6-2 as a starter 2013-14  Does the rest of his carer overshadow that (12-14 as a starter outside those years, 7-7 with PHI)

He's had 2 bad years, 2012 (rookie) with PHI 1-5 as a starter, 2015 with STL, 4-7 as a starer.

20 minutes ago, stevegrab said:

Foles also had 2 very successful seasons with the Eagles, 8-2 and 6-2 as a starter 2013-14  Does the rest of his carer overshadow that (12-14 as a starter outside those years, 7-7 with PHI)

He's had 2 bad years, 2012 (rookie) with PHI 1-5 as a starter, 2015 with STL, 4-7 as a starer.

I'd like to see Nick Foles get another shot as the starter on a good team. He deserves another shot at it. Unfortunately it won't be in Philly as long as Wentz is there. UNLESS he somehow wins another Superbowl this season. If so Wentz is gone.

• 4 weeks later...
9 minutes ago, LordOpie said:

lol, apparently, if Foles buys out his contract costing him a real $2mil out of his pocket, PHI can still tag him :lol:

NFL Network's Ian Rapoport reports the Eagles plan to pick up their $20 million option on Nick Foles.

This doesn't mean Foles will be back, but the Eagles weren't a lock to pick this up. Foles is expected to buyout the option for $2 million, making him a free agent. There are rumblings the Eagles will franchise and trade Foles for a third-round pick after that, but there's still a lot of uncertainty with how this plays out. With Philly committed to Carson Wentz, we'd be shocked if Foles wasn't playing elsewhere in 2019.

Source: NFL Network
Feb 2 - 3:46 PM

Foles won't be back in Philly, not a chance. Give it up, it's not happening. 

4 hours ago, LordOpie said:

wow! I wonder who's decision that was? Did his agent convince him to try the market? He and his agent need to be 100% certain that he gets more than $22 million this year and all of that guaranteed.

Nick Foles declined his $20 million option, making him a free agent.

Foles bought back his freedom temporarily for $2 million. The question now becomes whether the Eagles will answer back and use the franchise tag in an effort to trade Foles. The endgame at some point will be Foles donning a new uniform in 2019. It’s just a matter of how he gets to that. He’ll get a multi-year deal.
Related: Eagles

Feb 5 - 9:09 PM

Brilliant Steve, you can read! Yippie Yo.

2 hours ago, LordOpie said:

i don't understand your reply.

:Luckily nobody else is participating in the conversation so you'll have some time to figure it out.

I agree on your dislike for absolutes, but it seems to be the way of sports fans today. I blame sports talk radio, because in order to be heard you need to be a loud mouth that says outrageous stuff. 

Of course you did something similar saying that Foles agent need to be 100% certain they can get $22M this year and all guaranteed. It is about more than just next year, Foles has shown skills and has value, some decent team in need of a starter will sign him to a deal that makes him more than he would have most likely made if he had stayed with the Eagles. 

now back to the League_Champion and LordOpie show

• Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, stevegrab said:

:Luckily nobody else is participating in the conversation so you'll have some time to figure it out.

I agree on your dislike for absolutes, but it seems to be the way of sports fans today. I blame sports talk radio, because in order to be heard you need to be a loud mouth that says outrageous stuff. 

Of course you did something similar saying that Foles agent need to be 100% certain they can get $22M this year and all guaranteed. It is about more than just next year, Foles has shown skills and has value, some decent team in need of a starter will sign him to a deal that makes him more than he would have most likely made if he had stayed with the Eagles. 

now back to the League_Champion and LordOpie show

The only thing we can say for certain is that he WILL NOT be an Eagle next year. Which is what I said all along. Now stop nit picking you two. 

• Confused 1

5 minutes ago, LordOpie said:

I think NYG.

also, to be clear, this drama isn't over. I bet PHI franchise tags him, partly because they want to get some compensation, but also... they don't want him going to NYG.

I think they'll franchise & trade him as well. But if they misjudged his market they'll be stuck with a 20 million dollar backup and wayyy over the cap. They better be right.

https://www.bleedinggreennation.com/2019/2/6/18214097/eagles-nick-foles-rumors-giants-trade-franchise-tag-contract-philadelphia-new-york-eli-manning-news