[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Mortensen: Browns to name Kitchens Head Coach

Dcat

Hope they got this one right. I'm usually leery of guys with so little experience, he got half a season as an OC, before that just a position coach for the last decade plus, with the Cardinals. I'm sure he learned a lot from Arians, hopefully he can do the larger job. 

Will be interesting to hear what they do for DC, would e nice if they can get somebody with lots of experience to both handle the D side and maybe give Kitchens a bit of help in that big role.

Let all the baking and kitchen type talk begin. 

PS  Amusing that Kitchen's Wikipedia page is already updating saying he is Browns HC using the BleacherReport article as citation. 

I'm in favor of the move. FredEx delivered creativity and breathed life into the stagnant offense, improving scoring by 3 points a week. Folks wanted to keep Williams but the defense didn't improve dramatically from a 0 win team to a 7 win team. He clearly wasn't resonating with that side of the ball. And that's his specialty. And you can't keep a coach promoted to interim head coach and expect him to go back to a coordinator's role. Just doesn't happen.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, loaf said:

I'm in favor of the move. FredEx delivered creativity and breathed life into the stagnant offense, improving scoring by 3 points a week. Folks wanted to keep Williams but the defense didn't improve dramatically from a 0 win team to a 7 win team. He clearly wasn't resonating with that side of the ball. And that's his specialty. And you can't keep a coach promoted to interim head coach and expect him to go back to a coordinator's role. Just doesn't happen.

And I read somewhere that Kitchens and Baker Mayfield are tight.

The reason why the McCarthy interview was nixed in Cleveland:  

sLuDLFDq_bigger.jpgDaryl RuiterVerified account @RuiterWrongFAN
FollowFollow @RuiterWrongFAN
More

.@LesLevine just reported on @923TheFan #Browns wanted to hire Mike McCarthy as head coach with stipulation Freddie Kitchens remain with team as OC, McCarthy declined.

10:44 AM - 9 Jan 2019

1 hour ago, Dcat said:

The reason why the McCarthy interview was nixed in Cleveland:  

sLuDLFDq_bigger.jpgDaryl RuiterVerified account @RuiterWrongFAN
FollowFollow @RuiterWrongFAN
More

.@LesLevine just reported on @923TheFan #Browns wanted to hire Mike McCarthy as head coach with stipulation Freddie Kitchens remain with team as OC, McCarthy declined.

10:44 AM - 9 Jan 2019

Not surprised there, they really wanted to keep Kitchens, not sure how many other HC candidates were told that. I know it was part of a rumor about Arians coming to CLE. 

I don’t get the love for Williams from the general public. Don’t get me wrong he did an amazing job with that roster in a time of need after the firing of Hue. However, his defense was ranked 30th and 28th in 2017 and 2018 respectively. So for everyone’s confused as to why he didn’t get the HC job, was he even really qualified to keep his job as DC for next season?

As for Kitchens, the most important person in the Browns building right now was Baker Mayfield and his development. If the Browns played like expected next season he would be interviewed as a HC elsewhere. So why not make the move now. 

Freddie Kitchens 

Ryan Lindley 

Drew Stanton

Those 3 people are key to Mayfield’s development. 

• Thanks 1

Read a rumor that the Browns are interested in Chuck Pagano as DC, that would be a great hire I think and play a similar role as Wade Phillips with Rams. 

Also heard that Baker was involved in every interview the Browns had for a HC, using video conferencing. Also that Dorsey is heavily involved in finding other coaches (esp DC). Possibly because Kitchens has few connections in coaching since he was with the Rams nearly his entire NFL career. 

Not sure what the delay is in an announcement from Berea. But there is no doubt he's being hired every major media outlet is reporting it, as if they confirmed it with the Browns and the announcement is a formality.

Latest I read also says interest in Bucs former OC Todd Monken

Cleveland.com story