[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

NFC Championship Thread

Gourdeau

24 minutes ago, League_Champion said:

Payton lost that game. 

51 minutes ago, Shorttynaz said:

Lets not forget the fact that Brees' accuracy was horrible and Paytons play calling was suspect.  You dont burn the clock by passing on 1st down, and if you are Brees, receivers feet dont catch the ball, their hands do.  Missed a 1st down on the previous drive by not leading Ginn like he shoukd have.  Drive before that he fell short of hitting his TE on the sideline. 

The refs didnt help the outcome by a horrible no-call, but lets not let Payton and co. completely off the hook.  

Payton did NOT lose that game, the refs lost that game! Bad plays/coaching happens all the time, but that does not excuse the fact that the Refs missed an obvious flag. It wasn't even a controversial call, it was obvious. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Shaft said:

Payton did NOT lose that game, the refs lost that game! Bad plays/coaching happens all the time, but that does not excuse the fact that the Refs missed an obvious flag. It wasn't even a controversial call, it was obvious. 

Payton was terrible. How many carries did Kamara have in that 4th quarter? And had he used proper time management you wouldn't be sobbing in a corner right now.

7 minutes ago, League_Champion said:

Payton was terrible. How many carries did Kamara have in that 4th quarter? And had he used proper time management you wouldn't be sobbing in a corner right now.

Seriously?!?! Sobbing in a corner. I'm just going to avoid the childish jabs. 

The refs missed a call that affected the outcome of the game, plain and simple. That missed call had NOTHING to do with Payton's play calling. 

5 minutes ago, Shaft said:

Seriously?!?! Sobbing in a corner. I'm just going to avoid the childish jabs. 

The refs missed a call that affected the outcome of the game, plain and simple. That missed call had NOTHING to do with Payton's play calling. 

Even with those bad calls the Saints win easy if not for terrible clock management and lack of creativity down the stretch. They had the game won.

3 hours ago, Bier Meister said:

come on chappy, you cannot ignore the other non-calls throughout the game. this one is just magnified

Not ignored, however, what's happened, has happened to that point, so yeah, it's magnified, it's at third most important time - THE END. The damn game is on the line and they miss a huge call that would've won the game for the Saints. 

:lol:    we have seen stuff like this for decades.  i do not like seeing bad calls late in games as the margin to correct gets smaller as we get closer to the end of the game.  we saw all 4 teams benefit from bad/non calls today.

2 minutes ago, Bier Meister said:

:lol:    we have seen stuff like this for decades.  i do not like seeing bad calls late in games as the margin to correct gets smaller as we get closer to the end of the game.  we saw all 4 teams benefit from bad/non calls today.

I think the big difference with this one though is how egregiously obvious it was. Absolutely blatant there was no room to even consider not calling it. 

• Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, Bier Meister said:

It's one thing when refs hold the flags for both sides allowing hands checks and grabs. That happens a lot in the playoffs. This though was the single most egregious no call I've ever witnessed. You've seen my posts over the years. I'll complain about calls, but I have never claimed the outcome of the game was on the refs. All told, yes, Payton had some poor play calling and Brees was off on some of his throws. If they do a better job we probably have nothing to gripe about. The Saints didn't lose the game on that play, but they certainly deserved to win it on that play.

As for the Chappy comment, you know me better than that. I'll be here, I just don't know how much my heart will be in the game any more.

• Thanks 2

I know this will never happen but I cant believe this even exists

Rule 17, Section 2, Article 1: “The Commissioner has the sole authority to investigate and take appropriate disciplinary and/or corrective measures if any club action, non-participant interference, or calamity occurs in an NFL game which the Commissioner deems so extraordinarily unfair or outside the accepted tactics encountered in professional football that such action has a major effect on the result of the game.”

Rule 17, Section 2, Article 3: “The Commissioner’s powers under this Section 2 include . . . the reversal of a game’s result or the rescheduling of a game, either from the beginning or from the point at which the extraordinary act occurred.”

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2019/01/20/commissioner-has-authority-to-take-action-over-rams-saints-outcome-in-theory/amp/?__twitter_impression=true

1 hour ago, rajncajn said:

As for the Chappy comment, you know me better than that. I'll be here, I just don't know how much my heart will be in the game any more.

None of my comments were focused on you whatsoever.

The chappy comment was specifically directed at Irish. I am happy to discuss this with further via phone, text, pm or whatnot.

Edited by Bier Meister

Meh.  If you put yourself in a position where one bad call can cost you the game, you have nobody to blame but yourself.  That was a terrible call.  But there are terrible calls in EVERY NFL game.  Sure, this one stands out more because it was towards the end of the game.  But, the bottom line is there were several other reasons the Saints lost this game.  They couldn’t stop Goff when it mattered.  Payton sucked in both play-calling and clock management down the stretch.  And Brees simply wasn’t very good.  Any one of those things doesn’t happen, and the PI call (or lack thereof) not only is a moot point, it probably never even happens.