[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

NFC Championship Thread

Gourdeau

13 hours ago, Bobby Brown said:

Frustrating.  At the end of the Cowboys Hawks game, refs throw flags on a couple questionable PIs that largely determine the outcome of the game.  Then today that guy gets mugged and refs swallow their whistles.  

:lol:  Dude get over it . You lost . You've been crying for 3 weeks now

That call was brutal . The Saints still had chances after that though. I know that call may have sealed the game , but after that the Rams did what was necessary to win. Brutal way to lose for the Saints and their fans . I am not saying it was due to the Cowboys at all, I am just using it as a time reference. It seemed the Saints were not the same team as they were before that game. They were torching people and leaving them in the dust on O. That seemed to slow down considerably after that game . Even in the 1st win against the Eagles. They were down early and the outcome could have been way different if Alshon doesn't facilitate that INT with his drop. The Rams manhandled the boys last week and showed poise coming back from 13-0 . I get that the Saints got robbed and that if that call is made correctly , the game is all but won , but other factors played in to the loss including the Rams staying poised and finishing the game , as well as 2 giant kicks by Zerluen

7 hours ago, Gopher said:

Meh.  If you put yourself in a position where one bad call can cost you the game, you have nobody to blame but yourself.  That was a terrible call.  But there are terrible calls in EVERY NFL game.  Sure, this one stands out more because it was towards the end of the game.  But, the bottom line is there were several other reasons the Saints lost this game.  They couldn’t stop Goff when it mattered.  Payton sucked in both play-calling and clock management down the stretch.  And Brees simply wasn’t very good.  Any one of those things doesn’t happen, and the PI call (or lack thereof) not only is a moot point, it probably never even happens.  

And the Saints had opportunities to make the game a blowout early on before going into halftime with a meager 3 point lead.

It's unacceptable for the ref to miss BOTH the PI and the helmet to helmet hit on that play.  I get that people say "one play does not decide the game" but in this instance, it did.  The Saints could have run down the clock and kicked their winning FG as time expired.  It changed everything.  That simply can't happen in the NFL...

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Jolly Rodgers said:

It's unacceptable for the ref to miss BOTH the PI and the helmet to helmet hit on that play.  I get that people say "one play does not decide the game" but in this instance, it did.  The Saints could have run down the clock and kicked their winning FG as time expired.  It changed everything.  That simply can't happen in the NFL...

Yes, it was a terrible call and probably cost them the game. But they still had a chance to win that game right there and didn't. Sean Payton called a terrible game, especially in that fourth quarter.

10 hours ago, Bier Meister said:

None of my comments were focused on you whatsoever.

The chappy comment was specifically directed at Irish. I am happy to discuss this with further via phone, text, pm or whatnot.

My bad, for some reason I thought you'd quoted me. Maybe I just didn't see Chappy's post right after mine.

9 hours ago, purplemonster said:

The games are so close now that one call or non-call can make the difference in a lot of games. & The action is fast and these refs clearly can't make the right call a lot of times.  There has to be a better mechanism so that egregious errors can be corrected. 

I agree, but not sure what can be done or if the NFL will ever do something. 

Of course others seem to be in the "MEH bad calls happen, tough beans" camp.

1 hour ago, rajncajn said:

Everyone saw it but those two refs standing 5 yards away. 

https://youtu.be/gOmvdX4_Kr8

They were too busy making sure they got the incomplete pass portion correct, conferring with each other and everything after the play was over. 

Time for the replay booth to be able to overturn horribly missed calls like this. 

13 hours ago, purplemonster said:

The games are so close now that one call or non-call can make the difference in a lot of games. & The action is fast and these refs clearly can't make the right call a lot of times.  There has to be a better mechanism so that egregious errors can be corrected. 

6 hours ago, Jolly Rodgers said:

4 hours ago, LordOpie said:

you are correct.

time for significant and obvious penalties to be reviewed and reversed in either direction

4 hours ago, League_Champion said:

Give them a Green Flag to challenge a bad or non call. Or something along those sorts.

3 hours ago, stevegrab said:

I agree, but not sure what can be done or if the NFL will ever do something. 

Of course others seem to be in the "MEH bad calls happen, tough beans" camp.

Well, it might be happening by next season:

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/report-nfl-might-consider-allowing-reviews-pass-interference-saints-fiasco-173552996.html

• Like 1

Reviews are already tiresome; adding more for subjective judgments is a mistake.  Knee jerk fixes and band aids are just going to make things worse. Need to rethink the whole officiating program. The last on the field substantial rule changes were made in 1978.  Maybe it's time to address the issue instead of the symptoms.

More refs on the field because the game is so much faster these days.

Full time, well paid, well trained officiating crews.

One set of rules that are followed throughout the year. None of this "we're going to focus on X penalty this year" then relax the rules as the season progresses. Then a totally different set of rule enforcement for the playoffs.

Full time video officiating that can make obvious calls like this that the on field crew missed. (would eliminate a need for more on field officials. 

1 hour ago, rajncajn said:

More refs on the field because the game is so much faster these days.

Full time, well paid, well trained officiating crews.

One set of rules that are followed throughout the year. None of this "we're going to focus on X penalty this year" then relax the rules as the season progresses. Then a totally different set of rule enforcement for the playoffs.

Full time video officiating that can make obvious calls like this that the on field crew missed. (would eliminate a need for more on field officials. 

How would being full timers make a difference? Would sitting behind a desk 5 days a week watching film really make a difference? How would that translate to not missing a call on the field? I'm pretty sure they already know the rules. 

21 hours ago, Gourdeau said:

I know this will never happen but I cant believe this even exists

Rule 17, Section 2, Article 1: “The Commissioner has the sole authority to investigate and take appropriate disciplinary and/or corrective measures if any club action, non-participant interference, or calamity occurs in an NFL game which the Commissioner deems so extraordinarily unfair or outside the accepted tactics encountered in professional football that such action has a major effect on the result of the game.”

Rule 17, Section 2, Article 3: “The Commissioner’s powers under this Section 2 include . . . the reversal of a game’s result or the rescheduling of a game, either from the beginning or from the point at which the extraordinary act occurred.”

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2019/01/20/commissioner-has-authority-to-take-action-over-rams-saints-outcome-in-theory/amp/?__twitter_impression=true

That's what Michael Thomas is calling for:

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/michael-thomas-cites-nfl-rule-book-calls-roger-goodell-nfc-championship-014231820.html

• Like 1

1 hour ago, League_Champion said:

How would being full timers make a difference? Would sitting behind a desk 5 days a week watching film really make a difference? How would that translate to not missing a call on the field? I'm pretty sure they already know the rules. 

It's a moot point because the NFL had already begun to employ some full time refs, but if you've ever worked both a full time job and a part time job then you'd already know that you're not going to be able to devote a lot of your time and preparation to your part time work. 

26 minutes ago, Shaft said:

Never going to happen. That's a can of worms that will never get opened. 

8 hours ago, rajncajn said:

begun to employ some full time refs, but if you've ever worked both a full time job and a part time job then you'd already know that you're not going to be able to devote a lot of your time and preparation to your part time work.

Yes but what more is there to prep for? They only play one day a week. More classroom time would only help understand the rules which has nothing to do with missed calls. If they don't see it, they don't see it.

1 hour ago, League_Champion said:

Yes but what more is there to prep for? They only play one day a week. More classroom time would only help understand the rules which has nothing to do with missed calls. If they don't see it, they don't see it.

This is an old argument that has already been decided upon and the NFL sided with having full time refs. I'm sure you can go back and search for their reasons. 

10 hours ago, Shaft said:

He needs to accept the results and move on. It is what it is #dezcaughtit

11 minutes ago, rajncajn said:

This is an old argument that has already been decided upon and the NFL sided with having full time refs. I'm sure you can go back and search for their reasons. 

I know, we are having a conversation. I'm just talking hypothetically. I guess the real question is what can they do to hold them more accountable? 

Perhaps that does mean hiring them full time, putting their names on the jerseys and making them have press conferences after every game. If the players & coaches can be held accountable why not the refs? 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, whomper said:

He needs to accept the results and move on. It is what it is #dezcaughtit

He'll use it for motivation. Thomas always plays with a big chip on his shoulder.

Edited by rajncajn