[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

NFC Championship Thread

Gourdeau

4 hours ago, LordOpie said:

he should move on... in a week. If there's a process in place to right a wrong, then use it. If goodell says no, then yeah, move on. But make goodell say no.

as I tell my kids... the answer is always no unless you ask

There isn't a chance on earth Goodell would do this. Beyond slippery slope. Every game you could show bad calls . This one is magnified because of when it happened and how blatant it was but the Saints and their fans just have to lump it. It sucks but there is no other choice

1 hour ago, Bier Meister said:

I believe 2 saints tds came on plays where the play clock was at zero..... snapped after it expired.  They should replay those also

:rolleyes:

I saw a couple of plays for the Rams go that way as well including a phantom time out called after a delay of game flag. 

13 minutes ago, rajncajn said:

I saw a couple of plays for the Rams go that way as well including a phantom time out called after a delay of game flag. 

and i saw  several facemasks not called against the saints.

i get frustrated when blatant calls/no-calls work against my team.  i think it occurs more frequently now and has me less invested in the nfl.  one would think that training and multiple camera angles would make things better but haven't seen that happen.  it is a fast game. i accept that some errors are going to occur.....  

i would like to see more examples of when the smaller market teams benefit and wins from these mistakes  $$$

21 minutes ago, rajncajn said:

if the saints had won, i would likely be beating the same drum.  i think all 4 teams could have had legit gripes against the refs had they lost last weekend.

8 hours ago, Big John said:

A New Orleans lawyer is suing the NFL to have Goddell overturn the call

8 hours ago, League_Champion said:

On what grounds? This is nothing more that a great publicity stunt for him.

This is a smart move, even if it's a publicity stunt. They're forcing the league to respond and hopefully make changes.

2 hours ago, League_Champion said:

So what now. He gets a temporary injunction to halt the Superbowl? This is dumb. 

NOT GOING TO HAPPEN

As others said it is a publicity stunt, nothing more. NFL is not going to replay the game or hand the win to the Saints.

As for possible changes in the future, sure it could happen, change to overtime format, changes to address the horrible calls, but the NFL doesn't make snap decisions on these things. Somebody referenced a Yahoo story that the league is "discussing it..." sure they discuss many things that don't even get put to a vote, some more that don't pass and a few mostly small things.

I don't think the lawsuit will do much personally.  But I think the NFL realizes there's too much at stake to have bajillion of dollars on the line, entire cities' attention and interest, and then have a game decided on some aging ref's shaky interpretation of what happened in a bang bang play.    It's crazy.   However, there is no negligence or breach of contract on the part of the NFL, they are not liable for anything that I can see.  They followed their own rules.  This is human error.  

Edited by purplemonster

4 hours ago, LordOpie said:

actually, this is a brilliant move by the lawyer.

He starts out with an extreme request, then they negotiate down to a settlement. The lawyer doesn't really want to stop the superbowl, but is starting there as the leverage. He and his client's might get paid.

However, the NFL is pooping their pants over this because if this publicity stunt isn't settle and a judge allows the lawsuit with a jury, then a significant precedent could be set... this could force the league to make changes to reviewing penalties and OT rules. So while some think this is silly, goes no where, and that the rules won't be changed, you're probably wrong, again.

this lawsuit could force all that to happen before next season. in fact, to prove to the court system that the lawsuit should not be allowed, the NFL may make changes very quickly to show they're taking it seriously.

this lawsuit is a good thing and has more layers than some of you can wrap your brain around.

granted, I usually detest lawyers and the legal system.

No doubt. It's a brilliant move on his behalf  Now everyone knows his name. He knows that he doesn't have a legal leg to stand on l.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, LordOpie said:

i'm not sure he doesn't.

in the NFL's own rules, there's verbiage on how to over-turn or replay games. 

And I bet he thinks he does because if he doesn't, the publicity stunt could ruin his career. Good news is that the primary leverage can only last a few more days

Exactly. If this by some miracle was overturned what's next? Every single team would have a legit gripe, not just NO. Do you go back and overturn every bad call?? Not happening. Let him get his 15 minutes of Fame and sail off into the sunset.

12 hours ago, League_Champion said:

No doubt. It's a brilliant move on his behalf  Now everyone knows his name. He knows that he doesn't have a legal leg to stand on l.

Anybody who wants to file frivolous lawsuits knows they should call this guy, anybody looking for a serious attorney can ignore him. 

I just laugh at anybody who takes him seriously or thinks he has a "leg to stand on" as they say.  And there is no leverage, the people in the NFL offices and their battalion of lawyers are just laughing. 

1 hour ago, LordOpie said:

There won't be a hearing. The NFL will throw so much money and attorneys at them that they'll be lucky to get a hearing at all. They'll tie it up for years.