[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

I am tired of the moaning

Ramhock

I just want to make sure I understand your suggestion, Whomp.  You want the coaches to not only be able to challenge flags that are thrown, but essentially to be able to call two penalties themselves when they think they deserve a call?

Just think about how that could play out as a strategic chip.  I am not sure how I would feel about that, even with The Hoodie as my head coach.

47 minutes ago, Caveman_Nick said:

Challenging a ‘No Call’ is essentially giving the HC the chance to call a penalty that was not called.  Don’t split hairs.

No I think what whomp is suggesting is that the HC is challenging the fact that a call was missed.  The replay official would go back and review it and could throw a flag if they determine a penalty was missed on the field.  There would be a chance that the official disagrees and no penalty is enforced.  It just gives the HC a chance to have them review it, just like they would a scoring play or out of bounds or catch/no-catch, etc.  Maybe I'm missing something here though.... it is Monday.  :oldunsure: 

21 hours ago, whomper said:

That's why I suggested 2. not a dozen

The NFL still hasn't figured out what is or isn't a catch during replay reviews.  When they start blowing PI calls on instant replay, and you know they will, will the next band aid for that be a 2 more challenges allowed? When a missed offsides stops a team from advancing in the postseason, are they going to add an additional 2 challenges on top of that?

These knee jerk quick fix attempts won't solve the core issues.  The style of NFL play has advanced over the years and the rule book is pre 1980s.

1 minute ago, Bobby Brown said:

The NFL still hasn't figured out what is or isn't a catch during replay reviews.  When they start blowing PI calls on instant replay, and you know they will, will the next band aid for that be a 2 more challenges allowed? When a missed offsides stops a team from advancing in the postseason, are they going to add an additional 2 challenges on top of that?

These knee jerk quick fix attempts won't solve the core issues.  The style of NFL play has advanced over the years and the rule book is pre 1980s.

The style and speed at which they play. And the NFL still uses the same number of old, fat refs on the field.

21 hours ago, Caveman_Nick said:

And that means you are basically giving each HC 2 penalty flags to throw.  I am not sure I like that.  What’s so hard to understand?

What so hard to understand, maybe ask yourself that question. When the coach currently throws a challenge flag are they being allowed to overturn the original call? 

Is every challenged call currently overturned? What makes you think this would be different? 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Bobby Brown said:

Really some of you guys are still hanging on this "NFL doesn't know what a catch is", sounds like you didn't watch a single NFL game this year. Or just have a bad case of sour grapes.

I agree they need to think through their changes and stop reacting to one bad situation. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, LordOpie said:

you're probably right; however, I'm serious... wtf is up with those small monitors? If I was a review judge, I wouldn't want to have a window view of the field. I'd want to be in a private room so I could focus. I'd want a large monitor and ability to review frame-by-frame. The set up they show seems rather questionable.

Where did it say this is the Instant Replay equipment?  Or the room where those officials work?  (Yes I see the logo on the monitor, doesn't mean that is the monitor used for replay. 

I'm all for trashing the refs when they screw up, but this is all based on speculation, and pent up anger over the blown calls. 

41 minutes ago, stevegrab said:

What so hard to understand, maybe ask yourself that question. When the coach currently throws a challenge flag are they being allowed to overturn the original call? 

Is every challenged call currently overturned? What makes you think this would be different? 

Are you confused by my assessment or my being not sure if I would like the coaches having this additional ‘power’ over game officiation?

it’s just my opinion...so again, I’m not really sure what the difficulty is.  I didn’t even say I was against it.  I just said i might not like it.

:shrug:

14 minutes ago, Caveman_Nick said:

Are you confused by my assessment or my being not sure if I would like the coaches having this additional ‘power’ over game officiation?

it’s just my opinion...so again, I’m not really sure what the difficulty is.  I didn’t even say I was against it.  I just said i might not like it.

:shrug:

I'm confused how you get from "the coach can challenge a missed call" (this new procedure being discussed)  to "the coach gets to call 2 penalties a game".  Its a massive jump that isn't warranted. It would be on par with saying that the challenge flag allows the coach "to make 2 calls every game" since apparently they can overrule any call made or missed by the official. You are acting like there isn't a process that requires a review and visual evidence to warrant a change from the original call. 

WHY?  

6 hours ago, stevegrab said:

Really some of you guys are still hanging on this "NFL doesn't know what a catch is", sounds like you didn't watch a single NFL game this year.

There is the saying "can't see the forest for the trees." You should look it up and think about it.  Think it about it before every post you make. 

9 minutes ago, Bobby Brown said:

There is the saying "can't see the forest for the trees." You should look it up and think about it.  Think it about it before every post you make. 

I think the best way to put it is that this is the highest level of the sport. Players, people, fans dedicate years of their lives and plenty of their money to this sport. They all deserve better. 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, rajncajn said:

I think the best way to put it is that this is the highest level of the sport. Players, people, fans dedicate years of their lives and plenty of their money to this sport. They all deserve better. 

Thing is, this type of referee mistake is 1) entirely preventable, and 2) well beneath a minimum standard than an NFL fan should expect.

People saying "just get over it" are the same people who, if something like this happened to them in their personal life, would literally be talking about this until the day they die.

Honesty and transparency go a long way in life. The NFL leadership should try it some time.

• Like 3

The Saints fans want you to believe that the time in the game where this missed call happened makes it more important than the missed calls that happened earlier in the game in their favor . I have said it a million times. I would be sick too. First thing I did was make a post on BFDs page saying it was a brutal way to go down . Its true . That doesn't change the fact that A. There is no guarantee they win even if the call is made . Odds heavily favor that they do, but no guarantee. Take it from me, I watched the Cowboys botch a gimme FG that most likely would have put the Hawks away in the playoffs many moons ago. B. The Saints botched their opportunities after the call. C. As I mentioned, they had fortunate calls that were missed against them earlier in the game

As far as my suggestion. You get 2 challenges in the full game for penalties . You can either use it to dispute a call that was made or a call that was missed . apply that to this game , The Rams get the ball first and goal after the facemask that was missed against goff. The Saints get the badly missed call reversed . It isn't ideal.  Its more stoppages . CN has a point about it basically allowing a coach to throw a flag , but if the flag was badly missed , let him throw it. You only get 2. That seems like a drop in the bucket since im always hearing "You can throw a flag on every play"

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I think there would have to be some kind of restrictions on what kind of penalties could be reviewed. Otherwise every time a td is scored in the 4th qtr a coach could challenge whether the OL held on that play. someone tell me they would be in favor of that...

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, BillyBalata said:

I think there would have to be some kind of restrictions on what kind of penalties could be reviewed. Otherwise every time a td is scored in the 4th qtr a coach could challenge whether the OL held on that play. someone tell me they would be in favor of that...

agree

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Bobby Brown said:

The forest would be the poor officiating in the NFL, the tree would be some non-existent issue about "we still don't know what a catch is" 

Try not referencing things that are no longer an issue if you want to make a point that has merit. 

BTW, I am not saying "get over it, bad manure happens", I'm simply saying get over things that are no longer an issue, like the people who kept harping on players kneeling during the anthem when it wasn't happening anymore, or at least wasn't covered on games we see on TV. 

19 minutes ago, stevegrab said:

Try not referencing things that are no longer an issue if you want to make a point that has merit. 

The fact that it took until 2018 for the NFL to figure out what a catch is, is a very valid point to the discussion.  

You didnt think very well before you posted again.  Think harder next time.