Ramhock

I am tired of the moaning

2 minutes ago, stevegrab said:

Who is suggesting that?   

ack! don't quote bobby! I like him on ignore. Is there a way to have the quotes of ignored posters also ignored?

and I don't think anyone is suggesting that, bobby is just being his difficult self. He's more difficult than you or me! :D

I like this...

1 hour ago, whomper said:

I would say the NFL should maybe give 2 additional reviews for penalties only. I know reviews slow down the game but it would be worth it to get calls right or missed calls . Im sure the Rams would have loved to have the refs get a 2nd look at that missed facemask

...except in the last 2 minutes where they're auto-booth reviewed.

1 hour ago, Bobby Brown said:

The NFL is going to be awesome when they stop the game a dozen times to review holding penalties.

That's why I suggested 2. not a dozen

3 hours ago, whomper said:

I would say the NFL should maybe give 2 additional reviews for penalties only. I know reviews slow down the game but it would be worth it to get calls right or missed calls . Im sure the Rams would have loved to have the refs get a 2nd look at that missed facemask

Or the hit to the facemask on Brees on that final interception?

I just want to make sure I understand your suggestion, Whomp.  You want the coaches to not only be able to challenge flags that are thrown, but essentially to be able to call two penalties themselves when they think they deserve a call?

Just think about how that could play out as a strategic chip.  I am not sure how I would feel about that, even with The Hoodie as my head coach.

26 minutes ago, Caveman_Nick said:

I just want to make sure I understand your suggestion, Whomp.  You want the coaches to not only be able to challenge flags that are thrown, but essentially to be able to call two penalties themselves when they think they deserve a call?

Just think about how that could play out as a strategic chip.  I am not sure how I would feel about that, even with The Hoodie as my head coach.

Hc doesn't get to call a penalty, he gets to challenge a call or no call

• Like 1

Challenging a ‘No Call’ is essentially giving the HC the chance to call a penalty that was not called.  Don’t split hairs.

• Thanks 1

47 minutes ago, Caveman_Nick said:

Challenging a ‘No Call’ is essentially giving the HC the chance to call a penalty that was not called.  Don’t split hairs.

No I think what whomp is suggesting is that the HC is challenging the fact that a call was missed.  The replay official would go back and review it and could throw a flag if they determine a penalty was missed on the field.  There would be a chance that the official disagrees and no penalty is enforced.  It just gives the HC a chance to have them review it, just like they would a scoring play or out of bounds or catch/no-catch, etc.  Maybe I'm missing something here though.... it is Monday.  :oldunsure: 

My money says that If such a thing were to happen it would result in a penalty 90+% of the time.

17 minutes ago, Caveman_Nick said:

My money says that If such a thing were to happen it would result in a penalty 90+% of the time.

and?

And that means you are basically giving each HC 2 penalty flags to throw.  I am not sure I like that.  What’s so hard to understand?

2 hours ago, Caveman_Nick said:

And that means you are basically giving each HC 2 penalty flags to throw.  I am not sure I like that.  What’s so hard to understand?

the only way this is true is if the refs are making a lot of bad calls or missing a lot of calls, such that, every time the HC throws a flag for penalty review, it's changed. You're saying that almost every time a coach asks for a review that it'll be over-turned. if almost every flag yields a change, then you're saying that the refs are currently doing a horrific job.

i'm not saying you're right, but am saying that if you are correct, then the system is fundamentally broken and needs to be improved. as you like to say, "What’s so hard to understand?"

I am not arguing the system ‘isn’t broken’.   I am arguing that the strategic implications of coaches being able to essentially throw their own penalty flags is not something to look on lightly.

21 hours ago, whomper said:

That's why I suggested 2. not a dozen

The NFL still hasn't figured out what is or isn't a catch during replay reviews.  When they start blowing PI calls on instant replay, and you know they will, will the next band aid for that be a 2 more challenges allowed? When a missed offsides stops a team from advancing in the postseason, are they going to add an additional 2 challenges on top of that?

These knee jerk quick fix attempts won't solve the core issues.  The style of NFL play has advanced over the years and the rule book is pre 1980s.

1 minute ago, Bobby Brown said:

The NFL still hasn't figured out what is or isn't a catch during replay reviews.  When they start blowing PI calls on instant replay, and you know they will, will the next band aid for that be a 2 more challenges allowed? When a missed offsides stops a team from advancing in the postseason, are they going to add an additional 2 challenges on top of that?

These knee jerk quick fix attempts won't solve the core issues.  The style of NFL play has advanced over the years and the rule book is pre 1980s.

The style and speed at which they play. And the NFL still uses the same number of old, fat refs on the field.

10 hours ago, Caveman_Nick said:

essentially throw their own penalty flags

you can keep saying, doesn't make it true

• Like 1

1 hour ago, LordOpie said:

are those monitors the $89 17" special?

If I didn't know any better I'd say the NFL officiating crew is trolling Saints fans. How could anyone possibly be so oblivious?

• Thanks 1

21 hours ago, Caveman_Nick said:

What so hard to understand, maybe ask yourself that question. When the coach currently throws a challenge flag are they being allowed to overturn the original call? 

Is every challenged call currently overturned? What makes you think this would be different? 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Bobby Brown said:

Really some of you guys are still hanging on this "NFL doesn't know what a catch is", sounds like you didn't watch a single NFL game this year. Or just have a bad case of sour grapes.

I agree they need to think through their changes and stop reacting to one bad situation. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, rajncajn said:

If I didn't know any better I'd say the NFL officiating crew is trolling Saints fans. How could anyone possibly be so oblivious?

you're probably right; however, I'm serious... wtf is up with those small monitors? If I was a review judge, I wouldn't want to have a window view of the field. I'd want to be in a private room so I could focus. I'd want a large monitor and ability to review frame-by-frame. The set up they show seems rather questionable.

2 minutes ago, LordOpie said:

you're probably right; however, I'm serious... wtf is up with those small monitors? If I was a review judge, I wouldn't want to have a window view of the field. I'd want to be in a private room so I could focus. I'd want a large monitor and ability to review frame-by-frame. The set up they show seems rather questionable.

Where did it say this is the Instant Replay equipment?  Or the room where those officials work?  (Yes I see the logo on the monitor, doesn't mean that is the monitor used for replay. 

I'm all for trashing the refs when they screw up, but this is all based on speculation, and pent up anger over the blown calls. 

2 minutes ago, stevegrab said:

Where did it say this is the Instant Replay equipment?  Or the room where those officials work?  (Yes I see the logo on the monitor, doesn't mean that is the monitor used for replay. 

I'm all for trashing the refs when they screw up, but this is all based on speculation, and pent up anger over the blown calls. 

fair enough. It said that no where... however, if it's not where they do replays, then why present it as such? maybe they are just trolling NOS and KC fans?

41 minutes ago, stevegrab said:

What so hard to understand, maybe ask yourself that question. When the coach currently throws a challenge flag are they being allowed to overturn the original call? 

Is every challenged call currently overturned? What makes you think this would be different? 

Are you confused by my assessment or my being not sure if I would like the coaches having this additional ‘power’ over game officiation?

it’s just my opinion...so again, I’m not really sure what the difficulty is.  I didn’t even say I was against it.  I just said i might not like it.

:shrug:

14 minutes ago, Caveman_Nick said:

Are you confused by my assessment or my being not sure if I would like the coaches having this additional ‘power’ over game officiation?

it’s just my opinion...so again, I’m not really sure what the difficulty is.  I didn’t even say I was against it.  I just said i might not like it.

:shrug:

I'm confused how you get from "the coach can challenge a missed call" (this new procedure being discussed)  to "the coach gets to call 2 penalties a game".  Its a massive jump that isn't warranted. It would be on par with saying that the challenge flag allows the coach "to make 2 calls every game" since apparently they can overrule any call made or missed by the official. You are acting like there isn't a process that requires a review and visual evidence to warrant a change from the original call. 

WHY?