LordOpie

bump SF WRs?

Former Broncos Great WR Rod Smith sometimes mentors young guys. When I found out that he was doing this the summer of Eddie Royal's rookie season, I knew something good was going to happen. Royal went something like 90/900. So, should we be viewing SF WRs in a new light with Welker and Austin joining the coaching staff?

49ers hired Miles Austin as offensive quality control coach.

It's an entry-level position as 34-year-old Austin begins to pursue a career in coaching. He will be joining Wes Welker as a new addition to coach Kyle Shanahan's adventurous staff.

Feb 7 - 4:30 PM

46 minutes ago, LordOpie said:

Former Broncos Great WR Rod Smith sometimes mentors young guys. When I found out that he was doing this the summer of Eddie Royal's rookie season, I knew something good was going to happen. Royal went something like 90/900. So, should we be viewing SF WRs in a new light with Welker and Austin joining the coaching staff?

49ers hired Miles Austin as offensive quality control coach.

It's an entry-level position as 34-year-old Austin begins to pursue a career in coaching. He will be joining Wes Welker as a new addition to coach Kyle Shanahan's adventurous staff.

Feb 7 - 4:30 PM

Sure, you know, once they actually sign or draft some.  ;)

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, League_Champion said:

A QB wouldn't hurt either.

oh crap! I didn't know Garoppolo's career was in jeopardy?!

7 minutes ago, LordOpie said:

oh crap! I didn't know Garoppolo's career was in jeopardy?!

My bad, I forgot how accomplished he is. 

Edited by League_Champion
  • Haha 1

24 minutes ago, League_Champion said:

:lol:

I'll definitely be drafting San Fran skill position players over their adps.  But it has more to do with Shanahan.  I have faith in him as a coach.  His offensive philosophy produces fantasy studs.  I think a good mentor can have a bigger impact on a player's off-the-field behavior than a player's on-the-field production.  Wes Welker was a warrior.  Not sure if that can be coached.  If it can be coached, then maybe he can positively influence their on-the-field production.

Edited by michaelredd9

Somehow I doubt Welker and Miles Austin will be the catalyst in advancing the current stable of SF WRs to stardom.

• Like 1

Wes Welker was a product of a system.  Dude was a no name in Miami.  Goes to NE catching balls outta the slot from Brady and he's a stud.  Goes to Denver and catches a few passes in the twilight of his career from another HOF'r in Manning. He was elite in fantasy but he lacked the pure talent someone like Rod Smith had..  Maybe he'll be a good mentor but other than making jokes about Rex Ryan's foot fettish, I would hold back hopes that he will turn SF WRs into studs.. 

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Shorttynaz said:

Wes Welker was a product of a system.  Dude was a no name in Miami.  Goes to NE catching balls outta the slot from Brady and he's a stud.  Goes to Denver and catches a few passes in the twilight of his career from another HOF'r in Manning. He was elite in fantasy but he lacked the pure talent someone like Rod Smith had..  Maybe he'll be a good mentor but other than making jokes about Rex Ryan's foot fettish, I would hold back hopes that he will turn SF WRs into studs.. 

Wes had 67 receptions with Joey Harrington, Daunte Culpepper and Cleo Lemon throwing to him.  That ain't no small potatoes.  Bill Belichick traded a 2nd and 7th round pick for him for a reason.  Clearly, he needed a quarterback like Brady to fully actualize.  

• Like 1

15 hours ago, League_Champion said:

Well they were headed to the SB LIII after he won 5 games to end the 2017 season. They were being overhyped in my view, both with ability to win games and put up big offensive numbers. Now they should improve this season over last, but again there is talk (fans, SF media) about their push to make the next SB. They point to what the Rams did (in 2 seasons, with far more talent when they started over with McVay). 

https://ninernoise.com/2019/02/06/49ers-10-things-need-super-bowl-2020/