[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

AAF game thread

michaelredd9

2 minutes ago, LordOpie said:

I liked the first half of the SD vs SA game. My wife wanted to watch something else, but I thought it was good. I went looking for future games to watch and it appears they're all on TNT or NFLN... I don't have cable.

Really? Thought they were all CBS.  Hey, there has been more offense than in the entire superbowl.  Beats watching Mexican soccer...un poco.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, CowboysDiehard said:

Really? Thought they were all CBS.  Hey, there has been more offense than in the entire superbowl.  Beats watching Mexican soccer...un poco.

NFLN and the CBS Sports Network on cable.  Along with TNT and B/R (whatever that is.)

Edited by Big John

Got you hooked with one free game OTA, now you'll have to go to a bar to watch. I want to see the bartender's reaction when you tell them to put on the football game, the AAF game.

I guess the ratings were pretty good but with the rest of the games on cable they'll go down.

6 minutes ago, LordOpie said:

it's not that you have to pay for it specifically, but you need cable TV and pay for the packages that it's shown on. NFLN, CBS Sports (not sure how that's different than CBS, but it is), and TNT all require paid subscriptions. I haven't had cable/satellite TV in years and won't pay for it.

I don't blame you one bit.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, League_Champion said:

Colin Kaepernick wanted $20 million or more to consider playing in new AAF league

What? Why should we feel sorry for him again?

LA times story

Says that AAF players make $225,000 over 3 years, or $75K/year. I'd say $20M/year is steep, even $20M/5yr

For comparison some non elite QBs at various points in their NFL career 

Mahomes 2017 4 year $16M deal, included $10M signing bonus

Tyrod Taylor 2017 2 year $30M 

Derek Carr 2017 5yr/$125M - clearly overpaid based on recent production 

8 minutes ago, stevegrab said:

LA times story

Says that AAF players make $225,000 over 3 years, or $75K/year. I'd say $20M/year is steep, even $20M/5yr

For comparison some non elite QBs at various points in their NFL career 

Mahomes 2017 4 year $16M deal, included $10M signing bonus

Tyrod Taylor 2017 2 year $30M 

Derek Carr 2017 5yr/$125M - clearly overpaid based on recent production 

But they knew if they got Kaepernick onboard the ratings and publicity would be worth 10 fold. Could you imagine the hoopla? 

Doug Gottlieb and one of my favorite local newspaper guys, Bill Plaschke, were talking about this as they were guest hosting the Dan Patrick Show this morning.  

One huge thing people continue to fail to mention/recognize is the fact that Kaepernick's girlfriend got him to convert to being vegan.  He was already a pretty slender guy and reportedly lost a lot of muscle mass due to the new diet.  For a "mobile QB" this is not good.  Add in alllllll of the other factors and I'm not surprised he hasn't been signed by an NFL team.

He wants to start, and wants starter money.  He's freakin' off his rocker.  Great that he's raising social awareness, but from the football side of things, he's crazy.  I doubt he'll ever play again.

2 hours ago, darin3 said:

Doug Gottlieb and one of my favorite local newspaper guys, Bill Plaschke, were talking about this as they were guest hosting the Dan Patrick Show this morning.  

One huge thing people continue to fail to mention/recognize is the fact that Kaepernick's girlfriend got him to convert to being vegan.  He was already a pretty slender guy and reportedly lost a lot of muscle mass due to the new diet.  For a "mobile QB" this is not good.  Add in alllllll of the other factors and I'm not surprised he hasn't been signed by an NFL team.

He wants to start, and wants starter money.  He's freakin' off his rocker.  Great that he's raising social awareness, but from the football side of things, he's crazy.  I doubt he'll ever play again.

Good stuff Darin. He was never that good to begin with. To think after 3 years he could step onto an NFL field and have success is insane. He made his own bed. 

• Like 1

Well he just got a nice settlement from the NFL so maybe he can walk off into the sunset and return to being irrelevant. (Would help if fans stop talking about him, stop reading stories about him, etc.) Eventually when nobody cares the media will stop talking about it. 

• Like 2