[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Jason Witten is back

BillyBalata

Jason Witten decided to end his retirement and return to the Cowboys.

Witten left the team to join the Monday Night Football booth last May. "The fire inside of me to compete and play this game is just burning too strong," Witten said in a statement. "This team has a great group of rising young stars, and I want to help them make a run at a championship." Witten added this was "completely my decision," but his struggles in the booth likely played some role in his return. Even going on 37 (in May), Witten's return upgrades a nameless Cowboys tight end corps.

1 hour ago, purplemonster said:

This is kind of how I feel.  Can he still play?

Point is, he's back and will provide some stability and leadership to the younger players on the team.  Plus, I can un-retire my Jason Witten socks!

14 hours ago, DMD said:

Witten said he did not enjoy the TV experience and that he wanted to return to playing. My guess and others are that he'll transition into coaching.

He surely didn't enjoy the criticism he took for his subpar performance in broadcasting. I blame ESPN in part, thinking they had the next Romo. I was susprised when Romo vaulted into the #1 seat as analyst alongside Jim Nantz, but then read a lot later about how much work CBS did giving him practice and doing things to ensure he could succeed. (He apparently tested very well when it all started and that gave them confidence to feature him).

I too wondered if he might go the coaching route now, especially reading how the Cowboys home he can help their young TEs learn so they can move into bigger roles. 

If Gates who is 100 can still play I think 35 year old Witten has something left. He rarely missed time before retiring, he's always been durable, and his stats didn't really decline. 

Witten wants to play.  It's his choice.  Dallas isn't paying him much.  He was at least average when he played in 2017.  He'll be a good blocker and a player who Dak can trust in the passing game.  Witten won't be a fantasy force but it is a good signing on Dallas' part considering their poor tight end options.  This is a non-story.