[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Todd Gurley may have arthirtis in injured keee

Big John

Yikes 45 mil guaranteed and only through year 1.  This hurts leveon as well I might assume. 

Some of these guys after they have an ACL tear get pretty rapid degeneration of the knee. Others seem to do okay at least for a while.  And then there's indestructible types like Frank Gore and Adrian Peterson. Arthritis is no bueno.  Think Sam Bradford, Jay Ajayi.  But those guys I'd imagine were quite a bit worse. 

Edited by purplemonster

The way this year ended for him should've been major red flags for anyone considering drafting him early next year. I feel bad and hope he can find a way to stay healthy, but I'm staying away.

1 hour ago, Shaft said:

The way this year ended for him should've been major red flags for anyone considering drafting him early next year. I feel bad and hope he can find a way to stay healthy, but I'm staying away.

Totally agree.

Sean McVay constantly lied about Gurley's health during the playoffs. 

Can't trust anything McVay says about Gurley.

Edited by Wolverines Fan

48 minutes ago, loaf said:

depends on how far he falls in drafts...I'm out in the first round on him but after that...

If it's confirmed that he has a degenerative condition I'm out. I can't draft another Ajayi, not high anyway. They better find another stud running back though. Goff and McVay were completely exposed without a running game 

I don't believe any of the hoopla.  Gurley might have arthritis in his knee but that is not why he sucked.  Arthritis is real and chronic but I don't think it would affect a player's performance.  He clearly had another issue with his knee.  And all of the misinformation might be Gurley's fault.  There is code among football players that they will play through injury.  Gurley might have kept telling McVay that he was healthy when he clearly was not.  He did no one a favor by acting like everything was alright.  I will draft him.  I might draft Hopkins, Adams, and Thomas before him but that is only because I value wide receivers over running backs.  If I were a running back whore like all of you, I would draft him at the 6 spot.

2 hours ago, michaelredd9 said:

I don't believe any of the hoopla.  Gurley might have arthritis in his knee but that is not why he sucked.  Arthritis is real and chronic but I don't think it would affect a player's performance.  He clearly had another issue with his knee.  And all of the misinformation might be Gurley's fault.  There is code among football players that they will play through injury.  Gurley might have kept telling McVay that he was healthy when he clearly was not.  He did no one a favor by acting like everything was alright.  I will draft him.  I might draft Hopkins, Adams, and Thomas before him but that is only because I value wide receivers over running backs.  If I were a running back whore like all of you, I would draft him at the 6 spot.

Interesting. You say you value WR's over RB"s. If your sitting at #1 overall who are you taking? 

19 hours ago, Wolverines Fan said:

Totally agree.

Sean McVay constantly lied about Gurley's health during the playoffs. 

Can't trust anything McVay says about Gurley.

Do we know that McVay had this information then? Did Gurley even know?

I thought this was new info from a recent medical test and opinion. 

This certainly makes more sense than the lame "he just didn't fit the flow of the game" or whatever load of bull they were offering.

I'm no medical expert so I won't pretend to know whether arthritis of the knee could be a legit explanation for his limited use/availability.

I wouldn't consider myself a medical expert in Orthopedics or anything. But it's concerning when someone starts saying arthritis. Because there is no proven treatment for arthritis that works for a high demand athlete. Reimplantation of cartilage just does not work terribly well. Stem cells are experimental.  ACL tears in the leg are one thing. Something tears you sew it back up and people get out there. But once you start talking about degeneration of the knee then it boils down to how much pain and discomfort there is. And it tends to get worse with time.  

So maybe he had some acute exacerbation around the time of the playoffs and it will be more manageable in the future. But I wouldn't count on it. And even if he gets better temporarily there's a concern about future exacerbations. 

Edited by purplemonster

2 hours ago, purplemonster said:

I wouldn't consider myself a medical expert in Orthopedics or anything. But it's concerning when someone starts saying arthritis. Because there is no proven treatment for arthritis that works for a high demand athlete. Reimplantation of cartilage just does not work terribly well. Stem cells are experimental.  ACL tears in the leg are one thing. Something tears you sew it back up and people get out there. But once you start talking about degeneration of the knee then it boils down to how much pain and discomfort there is. And it tends to get worse with time.  

So maybe he had some acute exacerbation around the time of the playoffs and it will be more manageable in the future. But I wouldn't count on it. And even if he gets better temporarily there's a concern about future exacerbations. 

His powerful tough running style doesn't lend itself well either i'm guessing. I watched Ajayi deal with it and it was brutal. He was getting less and less carries as the year went on. He's just withering away. I hope Gurley manages better than he did. 

5 hours ago, the lone star said:

But if it is all people, then it shouldn't be such a big deal. But the fact that this is making headlines probably means that his condition is worse relative to his peers.

If it was some stiff It's not even news. This is Todd Gurley, arguably the best RB in football with a massive contract. Of course it's serious.

5 hours ago, League_Champion said:

If it was some stiff It's not even news. This is Todd Gurley, arguably the best RB in football with a massive contract. Of course it's serious.

He will be fine once Kupp comes back. Losing Kupp really changed the Rams. They gotta get a good slot guy behind him if Goff is gonna be that dependent on him.

9 hours ago, League_Champion said:

I wouldn't say that at all. Gurley is a volume back. Look how fast that same injury took out Ajayi. 

Ajayi is done. 

Ajayi has a bone-on-bone condition in his knee which is no bueno.  We don't know what exactly is wrong with Gurley's knee.  Arthritis can mean many different things.  Maybe Gurley has a bone-on-bone situation and they are using the term arthritis because it doesn't sound as bad.  We just don't know.  The Rams have been less than forthcoming.

Edited by michaelredd9

2 minutes ago, michaelredd9 said:

Ajayi has a bone-on-bone condition in his knee which is no bueno.  We don't know what exactly is wrong with Gurley's knee.  Arthritis can mean many different things.  Maybe Gurley has a bone-on-bone situation and they are using the term arthritis because it doesn't sound as bad.  We just don't know and the Rams have been less than forthcoming.

Yeah I would doubt Gurley is nearly as bad but I guess we don't know.  The reports I seemed to hear were that Ajayi's knees were just cooked.  I have not heard that about Gurley 

Edited by purplemonster

2 hours ago, michaelredd9 said:

Ajayi has a bone-on-bone condition in his knee which is no bueno.  We don't know what exactly is wrong with Gurley's knee.  Arthritis can mean many different things.  Maybe Gurley has a bone-on-bone situation and they are using the term arthritis because it doesn't sound as bad.  We just don't know.  The Rams have been less than forthcoming.

Ajayi is bone on bone because they had to go in there to clean out the arthritis. I'm sure Gurley isn't at that point yet but he may be eventually. 

20 hours ago, purplemonster said:

Yeah I would doubt Gurley is nearly as bad but I guess we don't know.  The reports I seemed to hear were that Ajayi's knees were just cooked.  I have not heard that about Gurley 

I'm certainly not taking League Champions word for it.