[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Frank Gore to BUF

Big John

9 hours ago, Riffraff said:

1 Emmitt Smith 18,355

2 Walter Payton 16,726

3 Barry Sanders 15,269

4 Frank Gore 14,748

Going for top 3.

Even at 35 years old last season, in only 14 games he rushed for over 700 yards. (4.6yds/rush), so it would not be too surprising to see him get the 500+ yards needed. 

Sanders is still tops in yards/season with over 1500, Emmit and Walter around 1225/1290 respectively, Gore is around 1050. 

• 6 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Gore is a testament to durability. He was the third-round pick of the 49ers in 2005. He's never been the leading rusher in any year and his #3 in 2006 was the only time he was Top-5. He was #6 in 2011 but otherwise, his 12 other years were all between #9 and #32. He had 11 years as a Top-13. He had nine 1000 yard seasons.

He was never like the best back out there, but he's been good for 14 seasons. He's a first-ballot HOFer. Has to be.

12 hours ago, DMD said:

Gore is a testament to durability. He was the third-round pick of the 49ers in 2005. He's never been the leading rusher in any year and his #3 in 2006 was the only time he was Top-5. He was #6 in 2011 but otherwise, his 12 other years were all between #9 and #32. He had 11 years as a Top-13. He had nine 1000 yard seasons.

He was never like the best back out there, but he's been good for 14 seasons. He's a first-ballot HOFer. Has to be.

I'm not saying he isn't deserving, but wonder, about first ballot and automatic inclusion. 

Is the Hall of Fame for best players at their position during their careers?  Or durable guys who had long careers but were rarely in the top 5 and never the best?

Dude is a straight up baller.  His stats are like playing baseball for 20 years and racking up 3000 hits and 400 dingers which is basically an automatic shoe in for the Hall. Just because said baseball player was not a superstar, he put up hall of fame numbers. Gore should get in easily, not just for his numbers, but for the warrior he is on the field and his longevity, especially for a running back. 

14 hours ago, stevegrab said:

I'm not saying he isn't deserving, but wonder, about first ballot and automatic inclusion. 

Is the Hall of Fame for best players at their position during their careers?  Or durable guys who had long careers but were rarely in the top 5 and never the best?

I can see many agreeing and asking same questions.  Valid.

This is always the question of said projected HOF player.  What other achievements than overall stats does he have?

He is a HOF and should be 1st ballot IMO.  No one is even close to catching him.  Consistency in health, performance, longevity at said position (very few) and overall professionalism tops.  Missing the SB wins is his only mark against him.  He is great company when you look at all his achievements.

yards from scrimmage

Records (NFL and 49'ner)

Dude is a beast.  Not in a flashy loud "in your face" way.  He was never covered in the media that way.  After his first major injury in the NFL there was always talk of him not strong or being fragile, but then he balled out every year!

Other than SB ring his achievements speak for themselves.

I will leave it up to the voters to decide but some of the stuff just used to explain why he belongs are things I have never heard used to justify a player's inclusion in the football HOF.

overall health - injuries are not something a player can control, many are a matter of luck, not just a player's conditioning

longevity at said position  - again that's just how many years you could play, often dictated by injuries, especially for a RB

overall professionalism - I understand tools like TO take longer to get in because of their attitude and actions as a player, but not something I've seen as a mark for entry

Maybe most of these were more about first ballot vs waiting to get in later. But the first two is why I mentioned Terrell Davis earlier, his short career kept him from getting in for some years. Bettis in my view was not a great RB, but playing on SB winner helped him.

During HOF discussions I often look at the players stats using Pro Football Reference. I also look at the comparable players section and see how many are HOF. For Gore's career he compares to 

HOF - John Riggins, Jerome Bettis, Franco Harris, Marcus Allen, Floyd Little

not HOF - Corey Dillon, Matt Forte, Earnest Byner, Warrick Dunn, Herschel Walker

that's a 50-50 split

2 hours ago, Zooty said:

Very good, not great compiler imo

Nothing against him but just not great.   If he retired 3 years ago he wouldn't have may the HoF and he hasn't done much since then other than pad stats

Gore has the third most rushing yards in the HISTORY of the NFL!!  Enough said...

• Like 1

21 hours ago, heehawks said:

Gore has the third most rushing yards in the HISTORY of the NFL!!  Enough said...

Because he was able to stay healthy and play for 15 years. His numbers the last few years are similar to Emmitts at the end of his career, but then Emmitt was clearly one of the best during most years of his career, and won several Super Bowls as a key part of his team. 

35 minutes ago, stevegrab said:

Because he was able to stay healthy and play for 15 years. His numbers the last few years are similar to Emmitts at the end of his career, but then Emmitt was clearly one of the best during most years of his career, and won several Super Bowls as a key part of his team. 

You can play 30 years but if you dont produce at some point of in your career you wont last . The fact he has lasted this long at the running back position none the less is another reason why he should be lauded and likely make Hall of Fame .