Wpob

Bell to the Jets

16 minutes ago, forever in debt to mo lewis said:

I'm sure it was business...but business causes animosity...don't think for a second it doesnt...

Take Dion Lewis for example...the Patriots gave him life...brought his career back from the dead....and he got paid...by someone else...which should make him thankful....but when the Titans whopped up on the pats he let it be known. He thought the pats were cheap and that's why they got beat up(funny they won the Superbowl and Titans nowhere to be found)....business always gets personal no matter how much people tell you it doesn't with that cliche 

I didn't day the ship is sinking...but your narrative is bell lost....but bell might not feel that way...and if the Steelers struggle to make the playoffs(and don't) again he's probably going to enjoy it just a bit 

Sorry yes, didn't mean to imply you said that, just meant in general that seems to be the mind set, even among some in the fan-base.

No doubt business can be messy and burn bridges, i'll agree there for sure but I don't get a sense there was any hard feelings. He and his agent acknowledged candidly last season that the contract talks were very productive and they were very close to an agreement but fell very short. Even still, of course he's gonna be happy if they don't succeed without him, thats just natural competitive mentality. I can't imaging that he has any sense that he is a winner in this, he goes to a historically awful franchise, goes to a high tax bracket, gets way less money overall but then again, he does think his music is great so thats all we need to know about his mindset 

7 minutes ago, Gourdeau said:

Sorry yes, didn't mean to imply you said that, just meant in general that seems to be the mind set, even among some in the fan-base.

No doubt business can be messy and burn bridges, i'll agree there for sure but I don't get a sense there was any hard feelings. He and his agent acknowledged candidly last season that the contract talks were very productive and they were very close to an agreement but fell very short. Even still, of course he's gonna be happy if they don't succeed without him, thats just natural competitive mentality. I can't imaging that he has any sense that he is a winner in this, he goes to a historically awful franchise, goes to a high tax bracket, gets way less money overall but then again, he does think his music is great so thats all we need to know about his mindset 

"Ya contract talks are going well...we think we can get something done"...just typical player / agent speak really....but I'm sure a large part of him was hoping this would go well and he would come back there....but you also acknowledge things fell "very short"....which doesn't really jive with the first statement ....

Things aren't going well and fall very short....that's why I have a hard time taking his stances for face value 

He had to say it's business...or else he looks unappealing to any front office or owner....if he's vindictive against them he can be against anyone for anything is what that would say....and he's certainly not going to win any sympathy saying "it's personal against the Rooney's"

The business line is the typical one...it actually makes you less bad than saying it's personal....I'm sure he was hoping things would work out with the Steelers which is why he played nice 

2 minutes ago, forever in debt to mo lewis said:

but fell very short

Typo but I see your point 

One thing I forgot about is we get a 3rd round Comp pick because of his deal i believe

9 hours ago, forever in debt to mo lewis said:

Jets or jet-skis!!!

I'm sure bell knew at some point he wasnt getting that lost money back...I'm sure he was prepared for just about every scenario

As I always say...fans look at stuff from a different perspective... completely different...alot of players and former players are congratulating him...it's about the system and pushing back on the owners who have it really good...the system is a hit screwed up and the owners love it

There's a good portion of people that are rooting against bell and brown...probably alot...most civilian fans who work alot for a modest living ...but there's some people who are happy for brown and bell...most guys who have sacrificed their bodies and heads for these owners to make money hand over fist....those guys seem to be happy for bell and brown...they understand the game and business better than us

I'm sure somewhere bell is smiling and happy knowing he and brown are gone and the Steelers have to go on without two stars....maybe the Steelers weather it just fine and don't skip a beat....but maybe they don't ...and if.they don't make the playoffs or win a playoff game over the next couple of years people will always have to wonder

The nfl needs to do something about salaries and structure...the franchise tag system is outdated now and the whole thing is a mess

agreed.  At a minimum, the Franchise Tag should have a one-time restriction, meaning you can't tag the same player twice.  

3 hours ago, Gourdeau said:

One thing I forgot about is we get a 3rd round Comp pick because of his deal i believe

maybe, maybe not.  It all depends on whether the Steelers have a net loss, net gain, or neither in the number of Qualified Unrestricted Free Agents it acquires vs the number of Qualified Unrestricted Free Agents it loses.  If they acquire a greater number of UFA's than they lose, or if it's a wash, then there will be no comp pick no matter what the new salaries were for the players lost and acquired.  If they lose more than they gain, then the Bell salary comes into play and Steelers would get a 3rd most likely.  

• Like 1

After all the speculation and gnashing of teeth...I find this a complete YAWN. He has taken himself out of the puzzle and found himself a piece. yawn:

2 minutes ago, boltnlava said:

After all the speculation and gnashing of teeth...I find this a complete YAWN. He has taken himself out of the puzzle and found himself a piece. yawn:

a piece of what?

he sure showed the owners! I bet they immediately fold on the next CBA regarding franchise tags. #winninglol

• Like 1

Here is a nice breakdown by Albert Breer

Since the numbers are in, let's compare the Steelers offer vs. the Jets deal ...

Through Year 1: Steelers $19.5M, Jets $14.5M
Through Year 2: Steelers $33.0M, Jets $26M
Through Year 3: Steelers $45.0M, Jets $39.5M

... Not much to argue here. Pittsburgh's offer was better. https://t.co/YbWZqnataG

** this is the guaranteed dollars**

• Haha 1

16 minutes ago, LordOpie said:

he sure showed the owners! I bet they immediately fold on the next CBA regarding franchise tags. #winninglol

Haha. His agent should be shunned. If he had one at all.

21 minutes ago, League_Champion said:

Haha. His agent should be shunned. If he had one at all.

seriously. no player should ever use his agent

Bell's agent, he's teaching his clients not to be slaves for the team owners :rolleyes:

oh boy

• Haha 1

On 3/13/2019 at 1:00 PM, Gourdeau said:

The narrative is the ship is sinking. The thing is they only had 2 playoff wins in 8 years with these two (bell for less than that). A lot of people are overlooking that. The narrative was the same when we they let Rod Woodson go, Plaxico Burress, Holmes and Wallace, the sky was falling. One constant remains, good management ( debatable on Brown trade by overall historically great)  and at least for another 3 years, Ben. HOF QB, with a top 3 oline, a HOF QB, a stud young WR and a pretty solid back in Conner. Hard to replace Brown, Bell not so much. This team can still compete imo

The new OC was much better for the OL and for Big Ben. Without Haley's plays that take 4-5 seconds to develop, Ben got hit less

But didn't the OL just lose their coach and their very good, under rated RT for pennies?

11 hours ago, jamesplante11 said:

The new OC was much better for the OL and for Big Ben. Without Haley's plays that take 4-5 seconds to develop, Ben got hit less

But didn't the OL just lose their coach and their very good, under rated RT for pennies?

Yes Munchak is gone as he took a lateral to Denver to be with his daughter and grand kids. Initially thought to be a  big loss but the 4 remaining guys have been together with Ben a long time so I would think they'll be ok. If they were a young group I'd be much more worried. Yes they traded Marcus Gilbert who was going to demand a good chunk of money but they have a much cheaper  solid 2nd year RT in BJ Finney who played most of last year because Gilbert was hurt