[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Tevin Coleman signs with the 49ers

Wolverines Fan

Reunited with Kyle Shanahan. Bye bye Jerick McKinnon?

From rotoworld:

49ers agreed to terms with RB Tevin Coleman, formerly of the Falcons, on a two-year, $10 million contract.

This would seem to indicate the Niners will move on from Jerick McKinnon, who missed all of 2018 with a torn ACL after signing a multi-year deal with the Niners last March, but coach Kyle Shanahan has never been opposed to a total timeshare in the backfield. Perhaps the money-rich Niners will just hang onto all three of McKinnon, Coleman, and Matt Breida and let it ride. Coleman was expected to command more term than this two-year deal, so it may just be a chance for the 49ers to add more talent and for Shanahan to bring in a familiar face after coaching Coleman in Atlanta. Making McKinnon a post-June 1 cut would save $3.75 million against the cap. His $3.7 million salary will be guaranteed if still on the team April 1. This will be a situation to monitor closely.

Mar 13, 2019, 4:54 PM

Edited by Wolverines Fan

Shanahan had Devonta Freeman and Coleman when he was the OC in ATL. Now he can have  McKinnon and Coleman. I have to think this affects Matt Breida more than McKinnon.

i actually think McKinnon could be gone.  Coming off the ACL. Gets them out of the remaining years for a $3.7M cap hit.   Breida showed great toughness this past year persisting through his high ankle sprain so I think he showed them something.  

Edited by rebdog
error

1 hour ago, michaelredd9 said:

All 3 running backs have health/injury concerns.  Roster 3 and hope 2 are healthy.  I'll probably roster whichever of the 3 falls furthest.

mostert and wilson looked decent as well.  Even Alf had good moments.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Bier Meister said:

mostert and wilson looked decent as well.  Even Alf had good moments.

Yeah, maybe McKinnon is expendable.  We'll know by April 1st since McKinnon's 2019 salary becomes fully guaranteed on that date.  If they do cut him, they will have paid him $12.5 million for one year of (non)service.

Guess there is going to be some guess work for now, hopefully a much clearer picture before the season. 

Would seem to be a very bad signing if they cut McKinnon, pay im $12.5M for 2018, use $6.5M in cap space that year, get nothing out of him, now cut him with $6M in cap hit. I suppose if he's done or going to be unlikely to return to where he was this year, it might make sense. 

1 hour ago, Dcat said:

Coleman + McKinnon + Breida = Fantasy disaster.  There is only one 49er worth a sh*t for any fantasy team and that is the TE.  Maybe Goodwin for bench strength and bye weeks. 

I have faith in Shanahan.  It is impossible to predict who will be fantasy relevant but there is potential for fantasy gold with Shanahan at the helm.  9ers players are the perfect lottery tickets in the 13th-18th rounds of the fantasy draft.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, michaelredd9 said:

I have faith in Shanahan.  It is impossible to predict who will be fantasy relevant but there is potential for fantasy gold with Shanahan at the helm.  9ers players are the perfect lottery tickets in the 13th-18th rounds of the fantasy draft.

Seemed like Coleman was more valuable with Shanahan in a RBBC then he was last year as the lead back under Sarkisian.

9 minutes ago, michaelredd9 said:

sure, no argument that guys there could be good finds in the teen rounds.  I won't be tempted before that for anyone other than Kittle or even Goodwin.  

Coleman was Shanahans guy in Atlanta if people remember, before he got injured and Freeman went bananas.  He got 20 carries in his first game as a starter.  I honestly think he'll be the lead dog here.  Just because McKinnon is being paid more, doesn't mean he's the lead guy imo.  Breida will be the CoP guy and come in late when defenses are slow and he can exploit that.

Thing is that Shanahan loved McKinnon enough to give him a 4-year, $30M contract with every intention that he is an RB1. Coleman was only worth $8.7M 3 years. McKinnon did not have a chance to play last year but failing his recovery not being complete, there should not be a reason why he won't continue as planned. McKinnon is 5-9, 205 lbs. Devonta Freeman is 5-8, 206 pounds. McKinnon is - at least to Shanahan - a clone of Freeman. I don't think he is but they coughed up $18M guaranteed on McKinnon. Coleman only got $5M guaranteed.

I do not think Shanahan is bringing in his RB2 from ATL to become his RB1 in SF, especially when he's paid (and paying) so much more for the Freeman clone.

Shanahan has been great with offenses but cannot say I like the SF backfield near as much with his 1-2 in Atlanta.

I do like that Coleman totaled 11 TDs in 2016 during ATL's monster offense year (Shanahan's final). But even then, Coleman only accounted for 118-520 as a rusher and 31-421 as a receiver. Freeman scored 13 TDs that year with 227-1079 as a rusher, 54-462 as a receiver.