[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Tyreek Hill again...

loaf

5 minutes ago, Shaft said:

Every arrest since 2000:

https://www.usatoday.com/sports/nfl/arrests/

Cool tool, a quick way to look at things by team, Browns were about average with 36, Bengals a bit higher. Pats are pretty low with 21, but then few teams have a player charged with and convicted for murder. 

1 minute ago, stevegrab said:

Cool tool, a quick way to look at things by team, Browns were about average with 36, Bengals a bit higher. Pats are pretty low with 21, but then few teams have a player charged with and convicted for murder. 

Break down by position: 

WR: 151 :lol:

LB: 134

CB: 123

RB: 102

DT: 85

DE: 74 

OT: 52

TE: 43

OG: 26

QB: 22

FB: 15

K: 12

C: 5

DB: 4

P: 3

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Ramhock said:

There are far more WRs on the field during a game and on rosters.

1 hour ago, millworkguy said:

Still only a small percentage of those who have played

Accurate on both points. It's a very small % overall, that's why I don't get the comments when people say "these NFL players always get into trouble." 

On 3/18/2019 at 10:52 AM, stevegrab said:

One of just a few articles I found (searched for "PROFESSIONAL athlete crime rates") that includes this similar stat.

"• According to the FBI, the NFL arrest rate is 1 in 45. The national average for non-players is 1 in 23."

I've read similar stories, and was surprised at first. Then I consider the many hundreds of players we hear nothing about. But they are celebrities so they're big news. Another story mentioned a study that confirmed the above fact, but also showed that during some years NFL players had a higher rate of violent crime than the average person, a statistically significant increase. Numbers were not found easily and didn't have time to read that one fully. 

What about the national average for men earning $500,000 (whatever the NFL minimun is) or more annually?

5 hours ago, Caveman_Nick said:

What about the national average for men earning $500,000 (whatever the NFL minimun is) or more annually?

It's not going to be comparable in the least. People making 500k from a non athletic related job have a totally different life than athletes, particularly those in a violent sport.  

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, purplemonster said:

Can i at least prefer that the guy serving my burger isn't a wife beating crackhead lol

You never know. But you will know when a 3rd string TE gets a speeding ticket because it's the lead story on Sports Center. Athletes are held to a higher standard, why is that? 

On 3/22/2019 at 5:36 PM, League_Champion said:

You never know. But you will know when a 3rd string TE gets a speeding ticket because it's the lead story on Sports Center. Athletes are held to a higher standard, why is that? 

I am no expert but I believe that since they are role models (even heroes) to some it is a let down when we see them behave badly.  Particularly stuff like wife beatings, shootings, etc.  manure that doesn't play well with the kids.  Should we? Probably not.  Also with the high pay I think people expect more.  For better or worse they are ambassadors for their fan bases.  The hero worship gets a little out of hand, no argument there.  

8 hours ago, purplemonster said:

I am no expert but I believe that since they are role models (even heroes) to some it is a let down when we see them behave badly.  Particularly stuff like wife beatings, shootings, etc.  manure that doesn't play well with the kids.  Should we? Probably not.  Also with the high pay I think people expect more.  For better or worse they are ambassadors for their fan bases.  The hero worship gets a little out of hand, no argument there.  

It's not about that. If 30-40 year old men still need role models they need to grow up. And if you raise your kids to believe athletes are role models, shame on you. It's bad parenting. 

• 4 weeks later...

If the below occurred, have to think things are only going to get worse.  Whole adage of smoke and fire and all...

Per Rotoworld:

The Kansas City Star reports Tyreek Hill's three-year-old son was "recently removed from the custody of Hill and the boy’s mother."

Per the Star, it "isn’t clear when the boy was removed, or who he is staying with now." The Star reports Hill and his fiancee, Crystal Espinal, have been "working through a family court process called a 'child in need of care' case." Two separate investigations into child abuse at Hill's home were opened across nine days in March. The second incident involved the alleged breaking of Hill's son's arm. Hill reported for the start of Chiefs voluntary workouts this week, but this is looking like a situation that will involve a lengthy suspension, outright release or both.

Just imagine if he gets a year-long suspension and gets released by KC. What was a tremendous offense to start 2018 could be much less formidable in 2019.

On 3/22/2019 at 6:36 PM, League_Champion said:

Because we enjoy tearing down our idols and the 1%.  Why does the 1 accident make the news, not the million who drove without crashing, fear, tragedy, rumors,  are more exciting to the masses then hope and goodwill.  Why our our lives enriched by the downfall of others?

• Like 1

On 3/24/2019 at 9:27 AM, League_Champion said:

It's not about that. If 30-40 year old men still need role models they need to grow up. And if you raise your kids to believe athletes are role models, shame on you. It's bad parenting. 

Rarely do people tell their kids who their role model should be. It doesnt work that way. If a famous person is constantly pushed in your face they become a model for something, for better or worse.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, League_Champion said:

Have to be careful here. Until there are formal charges it's just smoke. This could be more of a domestic dispute between he and the baby Mama for all we know. Could be about $$$$ and not the child's welfare. We'll see what happens.

Got to disagree.  If the system has determined that the child is in enough danger to remove custody from Hill, then they flat out have reason to believe the safety of the child cannot be guaranteed.  They have nothing to do with money or a dispute between parents.   

54 minutes ago, Def. said:

Got to disagree.  If the system has determined that the child is in enough danger to remove custody from Hill, then they flat out have reason to believe the safety of the child cannot be guaranteed.  They have nothing to do with money or a dispute between parents.   

For the state to remove a child from both parents, I agree something very bad is happening.  

2 hours ago, stethant said:

For the state to remove a child from both parents, I agree something very bad is happening.  

2 hours ago, stethant said:

If he said and she said, they have no other option but to remove the child. It happens all the time, even without significant evidence. Especially in a domestic dispute. I've seen numerous DYFS cases where this happens. You may ultimately be right but it's not fair to label him without knowing the back story. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• DMD locked this topic